Looking for tips on insurance in BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Crashpad, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    ICBC premiums vary by region. I have to imagine Lower Mainland premiums are steeper than less populated interior regions. :dunno

Anyone have a KLR650 insured in the West Kootenays for an example of comparative costs. (i don't have a functional question mark key on this laptop).

tia,
    Lornce

:ear
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yup, metro Vancouver has the highest premuims region in "probably" western Canada.
  3. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still have my first ever street bike. An '84 Kawasaki GPz 750. My girlfriend (now wife) and I thought that would be a great thing to buy with an ICBC settlement that she got when our '75 Honda Civic got taco'd.

Still have the bike, and the girl. Haven't ridden one of them since......well nevermind...:D

Time to get a collectors plate on the thing and re-live our youth!
  4. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lowest insurance rates are on Van Island believe it or not. Second lowest is Kootenays.

My Wr250R is $160 for six months. No collision of course. KLR you would want full coverage right???
  5. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full coverage on a KLR. You're joking, right (the place where the question mark should be).

:rofl
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    ICBC isn't going to know the difference between oem and jobber fairing. Not sure what kind of attachment hardware is needed?
  8. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that was a joke.

Obviously ICBC won't cover milk crates.
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jack,
    Yes, I've got a 'Multi-Vehicle Collector" plate. Starts to make financial sense if you are running 3 bikes or more. And it makes sense if you like to regularly run all your machines [as I very much do] rather than essentially mothball them. The basic insurance is of course based on engine size, except on a "Multi" plate, it's based on the bike with the biggest engine size. So if you've got for example a 1000cc bike, and 7- 250cc bikes, you pay the Multi plate cost of a 751-1150cc engine size [around $490/yr in the 'big smoke' of North Surrey.

Of course, then you will be faced with perhaps the most demanding and difficult of 'first world' problems, deciding which bike to ride on Sunday morning, and not needing to wait till the insurance place opens. And a word of caution,,,,about 25% of the time, I leave my house without swapping plates onto the bike I've decided to take out.
    Once I've even ridden to bloody Squamish for coffee, and not noticing it until I got off the bike at Starbucks. This of course emphasizes complete adherance to speed limits with tail between my legs heading home.
  10. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Move to the NWT! 1 mill liability on commercial tractor trailer $660 a year and bikes with same coverage $120 for full year. Abet, the season is short, so now I'm going to leave them in Arizona for the winter:evil