Is There a Bike That Fits This Criteria?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by brucifer, Mar 5, 2015.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm seeking a bike that will take me down the highway in comfort.
    I'm 6'2" with a 38" inseam. I need my legs to be as straight as possible as my knees are tired of being crunched in a tight bend. I also have an angry lower back.
    Specifically what I'm looking for is:
    A big, low revving v-twin. I like the relaxed cadence of these engines.
    Used--In the $3500-$4000 max range.
    Decent suspension that won't pound my back and kidneys into submission.
    Decent fuel range wanted but not mandatory.
    Decent cornering capabilities--hopefully.
    Comfortable for my back and long legs.

It sounds like I'm describing a cruiser but honestly I don't care what style of bike as long as it does the above.

I tried a Honda VT1100 Shadow Spirit back in '03 and couldn't seem to come to grips with the feet-forward position. Maybe I could now--I don't know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Minus the price limitation I would say something along the lines of a Victory Cross Roads or Cross Country. The Victory baggers are praised for their great handling (for the type of bike mind you) and roomier cockpit. Add a good backrest to help your lower back out and you should be set.

Of you don't mind a carb look at older Road Kings, they're substantially cheaper than the Road/Street/Electra-Glides and are on the same chassis. They also tend to sit up higher so have better lean angles than the other HD touring platforms. Keep it tuned correctly and you'll still get mid-30's to low 40's, you can also swap in a 6spd to help in that regard. The pre-2009 chassis is know to have a weird wobble effect in sweepers at higher speeds but there are chassis braces and the like you can get to address this.

Another option might be a Vulcan Nomad. They're a little more cramped than the similar Harley but with either of them you'll basically be riding a standard when using the controls and can add highway bars you stretch your legs out. On my Vaquero I would also hook my feet on the passenger pegs and lean forward to stretch my back out on long rides. In that price range you're going to be way more likely to find a Metric cruiser that fits the bill than either the HD or the Victory.

Or you could get a KTM 990 and just stand up the entire time. :D
  3. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Friends don't let friends ride cruisers :nono you will be sitting on your tailbone. Find a upright seating bike that feels like somebody is pulling your hair straight up to keep your back straight so you sit on your hips.

Go ride a V strom or better yet a Wee Strom.
    You can find one in your price range.
    You don't need to rev them to go but they do like the 3,000 to 5,000 RPM range so that may not work. Sorry no V-twin rumble.
    Decent suspension for a less expensive bike, they are what they are. Can be upgraded/resprung for your weight and help a bunch if you want to spend some money.
    A 650 will get 50 to 55 mph all day long if you don't ride 80.
    Yes on the cornering, The suspension and handling is as neutral and easy to ride as any bike out there.
    They are roomy for a big guy. Get some $30 bar risers for an extra inch. Get some Richland Ricks peg lowerer's to drop the pegs and inch or so. Fabricate a highway peg bracket or Richland Rick may have one if you need to stretchout.
    A Madstad high windshield and bracket set up will work great if you need it.

Been there, done that very same thing, or find a GSA and spend a lot of money to make it fit.
  4. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Victories would fit that bill, but they are way out of your price range. Check out an older Kawasaki Nomad. I think that's your best bet based on what you describe. Nomads 1500,1600,1700 are all very reliable and comfortable bikes. They are smooth and can be had cheap. I personally think they are probably the best value on the used touring bike market today. Good luck.
  5. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Second on the Nomad. Plenty of room, upright position, and no problem with tailbone pain. Cruisers can be REAL comfortable.

Check this site - http://cycle-ergo.com/

You can set up your height and inseam and get a good idea of seating position on many different bikes.
  6. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, big V for low $ the vulcans really do well.

I had a 1600. Those and the 15's are more relaxed ergos than the 17's. Also older, so cheaper.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't suggest one for my climate in the central valley, but it was the perfect bike for a cool coastal ride. Buell Ulysses. :eek1

I'm 6'1" 36" inseam and it fit me perfectly. I see one for $4500 on craigs right now.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4908974377.html

Edit, I'd suggest the Caponord for a long legged freak like us, but it doesn't meet your low revving criteria, plus they usually hold out around 6k.
  8. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Typical BS statement right there. The touring model cruisers have you sitting more like a standard, not feet all forward like a stretched chopper. You're knees are typically at a 90deg angle with your thighs parallel to the ground and your shins vertical. Add in a back rest and with your feet on the floor boards you sit with your lower back slightly arched in and with your upper body vertical. Exactly how you're supposed to be seated in a chair with proper posture. Just like how they have you sit on the exercise ball to help strengthen your core after throwing your back out too btw.

The Victory has the controls farther forward, but with massive floor boards that let you move your feet all over the place to change position.

A WeeStrom has none of the characteristics of a V-twin in its riding experience, some how they made it as bland as an inline-4.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda Helix.
  10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you want a Buell Ulysses.
  11. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    Agreed. A Uly would be a fine choice.
  12. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Wanted one for years and years, then ended up with one a few years ago. Riding that thing was downright weird. :lol3 Sold it!
  13. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can find a decenent Buell S3T that might make you happy as well- I love mine and it checks most of your boxes. The later the build the better they got. If you can find a post 2000 model they are both inexpensive and surprisingly easy to live with: maintenance is minimal, fuel economy is astonishing (I average about 52 with mine, even when exercising the loud handle) and they handle well. They do eat their shocks, but race tech will rebuild and update them for a reasonable fee.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nomad, Roadstar, VTX for cruisers. Maybe Vstrom 1k for something more upright.
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys who suggested the V-Strom and Uly are correct--they are very comfortable for us long of leg dudes. :D
    I had an '03 Strom 1000 and an '06 Uly. The Strom was okay but the bolt upright seating position kinda messed with my back. Plus, I wasn't really enamored with the bike as a whole--nothing wrong with it, it just didn't really excite me.
    The Uly on the other hand, was probably the most comfortable street bike I've ever ridden.
    Tons of leg room and the slightly canted forward riding position was great for my back.
    I sold it when my local Harley dealership dropped Buell.
    I've had my eye out for another but none ever come up for sale, and the ones that do are usually far away and a bit out of my price range. :(:
  16. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    The Buell XB12's are cool bikes and both HD and EBR still support them with parts. I'm actually considering an eventual change from the C14 to a bagger/tourer and XB12Ss Lightning combo. I'm just not sure on exactly what touring model I want. I do know that I want a Lightning though.
  17. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like my Lightning but unfortunately it's just too darned cramped for me.
    This is my second one. Don't know why I didn't remember the cramptness from the '04 I used to have. :lol3
    I'll be selling this one to finance whatever long-leg-friendly bike I end up with.
    Should probably hold out for a Uly but I'm going to research some of the other suggestions the inmates have brought up.
  18. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP;
    I have a 2004 Victory Touring Cruiser for sale well within your budget . 22k miles It has floor boards and Highway pegs on the engine guards. it also has a Mustang seat with a backrest. Might work for you. PM me for more info.

Mitch
  19. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Mitch but I need to keep my bike purchase in the northern CA and southern OR area.
    Really need to sit on and/or ride the bike I intend to buy.
    I've bought and had bikes shipped to me before but it was machines I've had prior experience with.

PS- Had to get on the web and check out the '04 Touring Cruiser as I'm not overly informed on Victory--nice looking bike. :thumb
  20. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the 06 XB12SS was built on the Ully frame and bigger ergonomically than the previous Lightnings.

I had a Ully and its ergos were very good for my size, I had thought of trying an XB12SS one day.