the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nordieboy and Eakins. Where do I purchase these at?

2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no carb expert, but I was a bit surprised when the front end came up in 2nd one day, soon after installing the kit. What really shocked me though, was when I took off the loud FMF muff that was coming apart and re-installed the stock muff the PO included with the bike. It's much quieter now, if a little heavier, but the front end still comes up in 2nd if I have the revs up a bit and lean back as I gas it. It just doesn't JUMP up, like it did, even in 1st. Now...I haven't dropped the 150 mainjet to the recommended-for-Buick 145 mainjet yet, or raised the clip on the needle, but I did re-adjust the idle-mix screw. It's gotta be running a bit rich on any throttle right now, but it's not so rich that plugs are fouling. This is with a Uni filter.

I get around 50MPG, unless I'm flogging it or crawling in low gears.

If I was any closer to sea-level, BTW, I'd need flippers.
  3. vnsfxr

vnsfxr BornAgainDirtyRider

Oddometer:
    Michael,

The DR is at a bit higher premium up here. I got mine on a visit down South visiting family and friends.

'07 with 10XXX miles, IMS 4.9 gal tank, OEM skid plate, ratty FMF non-silencer, MRA screen, Pro Moto tail and side racks for $3250. It also had a Super Moto front fender and hand shields that have since been replaced.

:
  4. dec181966

dec181966 Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Hey TH,

Thanks for the response! I am trying to be cool and get the best deal but damn I want my DR :evil
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    any parts store or bearing shop
  6. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aaaaand Done!!... for now anyway. Threw it into a few turns this weekend with more abandon than I think I ever managed with a motorcycle since my 20's. Oh dear this is going to be a fun spring.

[​IMG]
  7. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michael - yeah...poked around NorCal Craigslist a bit...seems like they hold better up there. In the end, do what makes ya smile and never look back. I imagine nobody here is retiring any later over a few hundred bucks.

Steve - very nice. I don't know what it is about the black rims - they look perfect on the DR. I wouldn't trust myself with the full SUMO...my extra wheel set with 705's on 'em has been fun enough. Maybe someday.......
  8. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere back in this thread, another inmate said it's easy to double seal our stock single seal wheel bearings. And since the stock bearings have a very good reputation, unlike some of the aftermarket replacements, I filed the info in my head until I decided to change mine at 20,700 ish. I re-used the old seals, added a little extra grease to the new bearings and ended up with high quality dual seal OEM bearings. For the record: I know there are high quality, low cost, dual seal, aftermarket replacements...........somewhere. I just ordered from RonAyers and never left the house. :deal
    Here are the pics. :freaky

[​IMG]

There's a ledge under the seal, work the pick past it. BergDonk comes in from the outside edge, with a small screwdriver. It also has a lip.

Edit :
    [​IMG]

Gently twist and pull and out pops the seal.

[​IMG]

Here you can see both bearing lips that you're working the pick past. Pretty clean inside, remember, this bearing has over 20,000 miles.

[​IMG]

Crap!! :2cry

[​IMG]

But the previous inmate had said, 'they might kink and are easy to straighten'. He's right. I used a flat punch small enough to sit flat on the metal surface. I did NOT use a hammer, I just leaned on it and worked it around until I ended up with this. Even with macro photography, I can't find the ding. :D

[​IMG]

:beer
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
  10. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Make sure your fork tube is not nicked. This often will cut your new seal. If you do find a nick or boo boo ... you can have the fork polished by a pro and get it out. (most times)

Using a piece of 35mm film to clean in under the seal has saved me a few times ... so it's always good to try that before pulling out the old seal.

A maintenance thing to do on the DR forks if you have the stock fork gaiters is to pull them up and clean in and around the seal and dust cover.
    Get the sand and crud out of there. Your seals will last much longer if you do this .... especially after riding in wet, off road conditions.
  11. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    <s>I'll mention that when I put the info in the DR index.</s> Fixt. :thumb
  12. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:

MOTION INDUSTRIES
    1220-D FLEETWAY DRIVE
    CHESAPEAKE, VA 23323
    Phone: (757) 487-0311

13. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Had a unique opportunity to do a side by side comparison between my '99 KLR 250 and my '96 DR650 yesterday. Riding twisty mountain roads around wine country with my buddy and my wife. I put him on my KLR and I was riding my DR initially. After about 50 miles, I traded him bikes for about 10 miles and some things became relatively obvious to me:

Stability: while the KLR250 is much more "flickable", it feels much less stable and the throttle has less impact on recovering stability. The DR felt rock solid and any time I wanted throttle to get things back under control, it was very much quicker to respond. Handling wise they were about the same with a slight edge to the DR due to power on tap and better suspension. The downside for the DR on damp pavement was that anything more than very judicious throttle in a corner would break the rear tire loose and make the ride more interesting, not an issue with the KLR250.

Comfort: Although the suspension feels much stiffer on the DR, it is much more comfortable than the KLR250. Much less buzzy and the soft suspension on the KLR feels "squirmy" at times. The DR does have an unfair advantage in the seat department since it has a Seat Concepts seat and the KLR250 is still the stock seat with a Stearns ATV pad.

Mileage: I did 167.1 miles on the ride yesterday. No problem for the DR with the IMS 4.9 gal tank. The KLR250 with its little 2.9 gal stock tank needed a refuel at 130 miles, even though it is getting 60+ mpg. This was one of the primary reasons I upgraded to the DR was a lack of aftermarket parts for the KLR250. The only aftermarket tank is a 3.2 gal Clarke tank, so $300 to haul an extra .3 gal!

Final analysis: I think I will keep them both! I have been riding the KLR250 since I bought it new in 1999. I have a very strong attachment to it and feel like it is a part of me. Downsides are lack of aftermarket support and kickstart only. Just pushing the magic button on the DR was really nice. I got the DR for doing the TAT this summer and have spent the last year getting it appropriately farkled for the adventure. I am quickly growing just as attached to the DR as I am to the KLR250.

Tim
  14. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favourite bike of all time (so far) was my TT350. Partly because I bought it as a wreck and rebuilt it, but mostly cos it was just so much fun to ride. I sold it and bought an XR4 which was great but not as much fun as the TT.

DR's are good too though :D
  15. Aerocycle

Aerocycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ER70S-2 for posting those pics of the bearings! Excellent!

I would do just that but my bearings aren't worth keeping, besides its affordable to buy new koyo's through a bearing dealer locally. I think i'll hang onto my old seals just in case...
  16. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

17. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a 2008, with 9,000 miles, that I picked up for $2,500.
  18. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,
    Check out my DR restoration thread to give me tips or perhaps learn something about the bike. Notice it's a 1992 , though. :clap

Martin
  19. vfrf2

vfrf2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 03 DR 650, the PO did the Kientech air box mod ( http://www.kientech.com/DJDR650AbMod.htm ).My concern is the huge hole. How to cover it for some added protection. I was thinking something like a K&N air filter wrap. Cut it up to fit over the hole somehow. Has anyone covered the hole with anything to offer an extra level of protection from the elements?
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    for wheel and sprocket carrier bearings don't forget Procycle.

Rear Wheel Bearing Kit

DR650SE '96-'12
    [​IMG]
    <form action="http://easycart.plugnpay.com/easycart.cgi" method="post" class="cartform"> <fieldset>
    <label title="Quantity">Qty: <input name="quantity1" value="1" size="1" type="text"></label>
    $22.95
    </fieldset> </form> Moose Racing rear wheel bearing kit. Includes a new dust seal and the bearing and seal for the cush drive hub.

I had mine in 2 days at a great price.