Senna

Discussion in 'Racing' started by eric2, Aug 26, 2011.

1. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    Just saw today that a documentary is coming out on Ayrton's life. It got the best review of all the lame summer flicks in the local paper. I only saw him late in his career, he seemed like the dale earhardt of F1, except he had lots more talent. Be that as it may, quite possibly the best F1 driver ever, unstoppable in the rain, surly, opinionated; punched Eddie Ervine and punted prost off the same track twice while they were teammates. I was watching his last race, and his death was so profound all of the major networks carried a piece about him, even though it had been years since an F1 race had run in america. I wish I could see his first F1 race, monaco; where he came from 13th place and nearly won.

It wouldn't take much for this to be the F1 movie ever, given the other efforts. Only one that comes close was grand prix with James Garner.
  2. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    highly recommended...
  3. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I don't go to movies any more, but I'd make an exception for this one.

Doubt it'll come to Boise, though.

Only attended one F1 race in my life (Mexico) and regret never having witnessed Senna's brillance (and, of course, Clark's).

edited for update: Senna did come to Boise and I actually went to see it. A rollercoaster ride of a movie, but I enjoyed it and am glad I went.
  4. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to go, for sure they are showing it in Portland :clap:clap.
  5. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    Saw the flick last night. I thought it was an interesting story well told. When it go to the end you know what was going to happen to Senna, but after seeing how his career progressed you were left wishing it had a different ending :(:
  6. taosgsr

taosgsr We are all earthlings… be nice to each other.

Oddometer:
    Since the conclusion of the trial I have been waiting. It will never show around here so I guess I wait some more, then netflicks it. After his death the next dog I got, I named Senna.
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Opened in the ATL this week at the Midtown. Probably only be around for a week, so I'll be down there to see it. Anyone else interested, PM me.
  8. Farioli

Farioli "just do it" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I watched a few months ago In Brazil at the premier nigth. Just fantastic. Almost everybody was crying...... :cry:cry
  9. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be seeing this film sometime over the next week, and very much looking forward to it.

Came across this reflective memorial trackside, at Imola. Very beautiful. ( Why Imola? I hear you ask. Well, Italy is Italy....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw it last night too. I had a very hard time keeping it together at the end. Having seen the events of that weekend unfold on television at the time, and reading various books about Senna, as well documentaries and recreations of the accident dozens if not hundreds of times, I was not prepared for the feelings I had seeing it again. I did think that Prost was somewhat unfairly portrayed, though I thoroughly dislike him to say the least. Over the last few weeks of his life Senna reached out to him often and in a way that deeply affected Prost. It's almost as if he knew his fate but was powerless to stop it, and was looking to Prost for answers. To this day Prost is very close to the Senna family, and the man who once was so deeply hated in Brazil is now seen in a completley different light, as he's the only true link they have to Senna. I would have liked the film to explore this part of their relationship, as making Prost the villain vs. the hero Senna is far too simplistic.

A fantastic film nonetheless, and I would suggest it to anyone, not just F1 fans.
  11. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just a kid when Senna was killed but I still remember hearing about it on the radio vividly.
    I watched the movie and thought it was very well made. It does tend to cast prost as a villain which is in some ways unfair, the competition between them went both ways but I guess that's whats going to happen.
    I made my fiance watch it to get a better understanding of F1.
  12. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    About 3/4 of the way through the movie right now. It's on Netflix.
  13. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:

Ummm. :scratch
  14. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    saw it, I give it :D :D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D :D
  15. Saffrontiger

Saffrontiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just watched it last night. Brilliant. I didn't expect being so emotional near the end. I don't know if F1 will ever see a racer like him ever again...
  16. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    1. I started watching F1 right after Senna died. The movie was phenomenal.

2. I'm not afraid to admit that I cried.

3. Rabid fan of what they did with the movie - the coverage of the internal machinations, incredible.
  17. jay956

jay956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watched it a few days ago. Being 23, and not knowing a lot of racing history, i honestly didn't know who Senna was. But shortly after the movie started I felt like I already knew him and was up to date with F1 history. Very well made.
  18. BIERSKI

BIERSKI Life Is Good

Oddometer:
    I did not follow F1 at the time of Senna's reign as champion. But, I wish I did. I learned about Senna in the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (good read by the way). And, up to recently I did not know that my best friend (taosgsr) named his dog after Senna.:huh I just thought that was a cool name for his dog. Little did I know where the name came from. Just by coincidence my wife and I decided to watch "Senna" tonight, not realizing that 8 years ago that Ayrton Senna died on this day.:cry
  19. Trailing Jack

Trailing Jack Dr. Acula

Oddometer:
    Actually it was 19 years ago (1994).

I really only very casually pay attention to F1 but any racing will catch my attention when it's on tv.
    As it was that day.

Me and my then 8 year old son just happened to have the tv on that Sunday morning and Speedvision or ESPN or someone was broadcasting the race.
    Always remembered that we saw it televised (maybe a replay even, not really sure).

Wasn't till I saw this facinating doc a couple of weeks ago that I realised the magnitude of Senna's impact on F1 in general and Brazil in particular.

Worth seeing if you're even casually interested in F1 for sure.
  20. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Please note that Senna is as much fiction as it is reality. It's carefully constructed to create one hero and multiple villains. It is not an honest telling of Senna's story in F1. It is a hagiography.