Four Day Tour of the Pacific North West on BMW GS Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GrizzLee, May 29, 2013.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Join me as we take a "Four Day Tour of the Pacific North West on BMW GS Motorcycles".
    This video document highlights four incredible days of motorcycle touring in the Pacific North West. The first 3 days of the journey we see no clouds and experience unseasonably warm coastal weather. A rarity in this part of the world. As far as Spring Motorcycle Rides go, this was a real gem.

Day 1: The Washington & Oregon Coast

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NE1TKn5GfLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first day we leave our home in Seattle, Washington and head out to Raymond, Washington via back roads to reach the Washington Coast. Once there we cross the Columbia River into Astoria and make our way south along the coastal highway. Using our GPS, we take many detours on lonely roads to see as much of the coastal splendor as possible.
    Read about this and other adventures on my blog.
    http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

Be sure to check out videos of all 4 days to really enjoy the views, the ride and the splendor of the Pacific North West Coast, the California Redwoods, a taste of the Oregon Cascades and the arid side of the state of Oregon and Washington.

The other videos are in work and on the way. Stay tuned.

Thanks for riding with me.
  2. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Join me as we take a "Four Day Tour of the Pacific North West on BMW GS Motorcycles".
    This video document highlights four incredible days of motorcycle touring in the Pacific North West. The first 3 days of the journey we see no clouds and experience unseasonably warm coastal weather. A rarity in this part of the world. As far as Spring Motorcycle Rides go, this was a real gem.

Day 2: The Oregon Coast
    The second day we leave our camp near Lincoln City, to finish the Oregon Coast, ending up in Brookings Oregon. We see light houses, rivers, historic sites and a gorgeous sunset while sipping on a local microbrew. Using our GPS, we meander and take many detours on lonely roads to see as much of the coastal splendor as possible. The journey is more than the destination.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I3AQ27nDDmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/I3AQ27nDDmI

~GrizzLee
  3. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Day 3: The California Redwoods & Oregon Cascades
    The third day we leave the Oregon Coast and find ourselves in the Redwoods of Northern California. We do some light off road travel through the giant trees. Later in the day we find ourselves crossing Interstate 5 at Grants Pass heading toward Crater Lake following the Rogue River to it's source. We take in the many sights along the way and finalize our day traveling among volcanoes and snow at higher elevations in the Oregon Cascades. The day ends as it began... Perfect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J2HHP8ZH9AI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/J2HHP8ZH9AI

Day 4: Bend Oregon to Seattle Washington
    The fourth and final day we leave the Oregon and return to our home in Washington state. Along the way we pass by a couple of volcanoes, including Mt Hood in Oregon. Crossing the Columbia River at Hood River, Oregon into Washington, we ride among huge basalt columns and the mighty Columbia River. We eventually find our way to Yakima canyon and enjoy the incredible scenery of the Yakima river meandering through the canyon. We conclude our travel with a nice cool ride over Snoqualmie pas, where we see snow covered peaks that remind us that we are nearly home.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_YVgftyCHvc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/_YVgftyCHvc

4. gssurfer

gssurfer TravelsByGregAry

Oddometer:
    I love the Oregon coast, thanks for sharing these videos!
  5. txplants

txplants Pastafarian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting! :clap
  6. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Glad you folks like them.
    Yes, the Oregon Coast is splendid. I hadn't been to the Oregon coast for 25 years. So this was pretty exciting for me to return. I am happy to say it is all that I remembered and more. :1drink
  7. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap Glad to see the weather gods were with you.

Thanks for taking me back thru my ol' stompin' grounds.

(Native Astorian)
  8. dandyrider

dandyrider You Ride? I Ride

Oddometer:
    Great time! You are very fortunate to have a wife that will ride with you, mine just lets me go for my own rides and if she can fly and meet me in a city she will, other than that I am on my own. Some guy like it that way but I would love to show her my experience's on the road, videos are nice but it is not like going through it live.
  9. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Yes, 3 days of cloudless skies along the coast is a miracle :eek1 Doubly so in Astoria. I really, really, love Astoria though. Always hard to decide to ride or Kayak. Beautiful place.

Absolutely correct. Your wife is missing a fantastic opportunity IMHO, but motorcycles aren't for everyone I suppose.
    Lori is my ex-wife, but we get along great... better than when we were married actually. She absolutely loves riding. She has her eye on a F700 GS. Once my son comes home from school next week, she will surrender the Dakar to him... reluctantly :-) Or they will have to flip for it. I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up one day with a new bike though.
  10. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing another one of your great rides! What a great loop, think I will do the same later this summer.
  11. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Sure thing buddy... For reference, here is a map of my route. I didn't take any GPS tracks. But this gives you and other folks the general idea. We avoided 4 lane until we got on the last stretch for home... No choice, but to catch I-90 over the pass toward Seattle.

Have fun. :wave

[​IMG]

Our route. A loop that offers the best sampling of the Oregon/Washington Coast, Cascades and arid regions
  12. luloadventure

luloadventure - LULO -

Oddometer:
    Great VIDS! :clap
  13. GrizzLee

Oddometer:

Thank you sir.. It was a great ride :super
  14. NorCal JB

NorCal JB n00b

Oddometer:
    Great job on the vids and a memorial ride with your wife. I got to buy my wife a bike!!!:D