4 week trip - my first 'major ADV ride' ...what to bring ...

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by motopaul, Aug 30, 2010.

1. motopaul

motopaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

So...in 5 weeks I am going on a ride around Australia ...

Its quite soft ...16000klms in 4 weeks ...but its all in lodges / budget accomodation ...no camping ...and 99% on black top ...national #1 highway ...i am in a group of 50+ riders undertaking this fundraising ride ...

Given I dont need to carry camping stuff, can anyone recommend a good list or resource of 'shit-to-make-sure-you-have' for a 4 week ride around the nation ???

I have a bike and all the riding gear for myself ..and i just bought the Cortech Tribag system (panniers and tailbag) and a sweet 18 Ltr tank bag ...

Looking forward to all ur advice and help!!

Cheers guys n gals!

Paul
  2. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    credit card, camera, sunscreen bugspray and as little else as you can. Pack light, very light. Just when you think you have it, take half of everything away and try again. Don't bog yourself down. Bring a tire plug kit, a sip of fuel if you think you'll be far from gas (or a hose to borrow some).

I pack 3-4 days of clothes and that's it. lets face it, you're going to recycle some clothes a time or two. Everyone does. Don't sweat it.

toothbrush!:evil

with that many people, you'll be able to find most of anything you forgot. Plus, you just learn to do without. It's fun.

But for me...50 bikes? Forget it! I ride solo or with very select friends.
  3. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try to avoid getting caught in a pack - messy things can happen in large groups with different riding styles.
  4. Chazza

Chazza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not long back from my adventure.

What you NEED is a decent wash kit - soap, shampoo, TOWEL :rofl , toothbrush, toothpaste (razor and gel if you don't want a beard), and nail clippers...!!

A few changes of underwear and socks, waterproofs, a warm layer, 2 pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts, 4ft of hose (to syphon fuel), camera, phone, relevant chargers, map/s, sunglasses, sun block, and a DECENT FIRST AID KIT.

And that's about all...
  5. Chazza

Chazza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and before you leave, PERSONALLY I would put some puncture-safe in the wheels.

Some folks have very strong views on this stuff (both for and against) but to me, for touring, it's indespensible.

I used it for my 8,000 mile tour of Europe, and never had a single punture. I rode a Speed Triple, fully loaded for camping (and I was on my own). I did quite a few off-road sections, on sharp shale, flint and granite (maybe 100 miles in total), with road tyres, and fully loaded, and never had a single puncture.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but to me it seems like a bloody good idea.

http://www.ultraseal.biz/home2.htm#currentPageTarget
  6. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Go light and bring your best hang dog expression. When you need something, approach one of the 50 other riders, "Please, sir, may I borrow some hot water, for a cup of tea?" "Please, sir, may I borrow your tire irons?" :lol3

The flip is if you have nothing, noone will ask you for anything.

With motel stops I assume food won't be a problem. Be aware, at small stops 50 customers may overwhelm small eateries. If time is important I would carry some snacks, especially at lunch.
  7. motopaul

motopaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good advic, and keep it coming guys!! mooocho appreciate it all!!

paul
  8. U.S.Blues

U.S.Blues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to handy checklist that will make you way over pack:
    http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

One of the better accessories from my last trip was a pack of microfiber wipes (windex maybe?) These were the best for wiping off the face shield after cruising along the rivers/streams after the mayfly hatch.

Another suggestion is to make a list of everying you end up bringing along on this trip and then updating it afterwards checking off everything that was never used or needed.

Some of this unused stuff you'll still bring along the next time, (like tools and the raingear) but some stuff you can eliminate, like 2 of the 4 flashlights, or the computer speakers you had planned to plug into the iPod at the hotel pool but ended up just re-packing every morning of the trip...