Early 90s KDX200 won't start

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Joe Watson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

My mate just bought a KDX200, early 90s. The guy we bought it off started it after two kicks. We got it home and went to ride it the next day and it wouldnt start, so we pulled it all down, cleaned it up and ended up having to tow start it to get it going. Rode it for about 15mins then put it away.

Later that day, wanted to ride again, so kicked it and started it no real problems, he was riding it and it died after about 5mins of riding, then we couldn't kick it over at all. Any ideas on what might have caused it?
  2. peter650

peter650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the motors locked up,or it will turn over but not start.
  3. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it will still kick over, but it won't start. The problem is not so much the not starting, as we will look over it tomorrow and probably get it started again, but more so why it stopped suddenly.
  4. peter650

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the spark plug? You want a blue spark. Is your air filter clean? Pipe/muffler not blocked?
  5. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    We checked the plug originally when we couldnt get it going and it was like new, we just cleaned the filter too. We might take the exhaust off and check that out.
  6. peter650

Oddometer:
    Make sure you check the color of the spark. Kick the bike over with the spark plug out {it helps if it's dark}. When it stops does it go BRRRRRRR BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR then stop, backfire and fart and stop, or just cut out dead like you hit the kill switch {kill switches can can cause break downs}
  7. peter650

Oddometer:
    BTW kdx200s are great bikes get this sorted and your mate is :lol3
  8. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    As others have said, checking spark is your first concern. If it gets good spark, then the next thing to check is if it's getting fuel. Though if it ran ok, fuel doesn't seem to be an issue. You might still clean the carb since it probably needs it anyway.

When those bikes have worn piston rings, it can cause hard starting issues. You can usually tell if compression is low by pushing the kickstarter down with your hand and feeling how much resistance there is. Replacing piston and rings on that bike is very easy!
  9. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    No idea about the problem, but if you are going to pull the head off, service the power valve.

When I went to get parts for mine, I could only get a new left side cylinder thingy, and that was the second last in Australia they said, the right was no longer avalable...

I think I have the manual for it on my other computer (which is in Brisbane with my wife), I'll see if I have it when I go down there next week.

Great bikes though, if I didn't buy my 200EXC I would have keept the KDX, and in some situations the KDX was better...

Oh, and my PM about the CR was serious, I just added the working on an oil rig thing for a laugh.:lol3

(And I am pretty sure the CR is an 89... Just what I need for racing until I can get my KX down there.:deal)
  10. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so to update, my mate came over so we decided to just give it a few kicks to see what would happen before pulling it apart. He tried and got tired, so I gave it a couple of kicks, bit of choke, then no choke and and a tiny bit of throttle and it started!!

We rode for a bit in the front paddock, he stalled a few times, but each time it only took two or three kicks to get it going (He is very new to bikes and is still learning how to kick properly)

So we thought it would be fine to go ride the big track, he then stalled it right down the bottom corner of the farm and no matter what we did, we couldn't get it started again.

It was bloody hard pushing it all the way back up to the house!!! Man I love my WR250R with its trouble free riding and electric start!

[​IMG]
  11. peter650

Oddometer:
    Heaps of rain is your spark plug cap good. Bad cap and it will stop when it gets wet.
  12. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, cause there is a small creek crossing that we went through, but the bike ran fine for a few minutes after that and it was only when the bike was stalled that it wouldnt start again, I could only assume that it would have kept running......?

Are we talking about the spark plug lead that goes from the ignition unit to the spark plug? As he said last time he took it off that it didnt seem to click onto the spark plug very well.
  13. peter650

Oddometer:
    Have a close look at your HT lead from the coil
  14. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Clean and dielectric grease every electrical connection on the bike especially the spark plug cap.

Piston
  15. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think before our next attempt we are going to throw a new plug, new lead, totally strip and clean the carby and look at what gaskets need replacing as it leaks a heap from different spots on the motor.
  16. peter650

Oddometer:
    Leaks from motor????Water{coolant},oil,air????
  17. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was red oil under it after it sat for a week, a fair bit of it too. It also seems to leak fuel around the bottom of the head????
  18. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 smoke spark plugs can look pretty clean and be fouled. You need a handful of spares 'til you sort it out. My brothers bike had a problem with the kill button. It was either shorting or the spring inside broke. Turns out it was the intermittent gremlin we were looking for. Try unplugging the button if you can or somehow disable it. Check your spark and ease of starting. Have a look at the petcock and see if it leaks when off. That will fill your cases with gas and make for a hard start. Make sure there is no crud or water in the gas. Are the head bolts/nuts snug? Keep trying and report back. Good luck.
  19. peter650

Oddometer:
    Has the carb got a pipe/hose on the overflow? If not turn the gas on, but don't start the bike, wait a few minutes and see if petrol comes out the overflow.