Rotax 650 Engine Rebuild (BMW)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by divimon2000, Dec 11, 2012.

1. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    94? Not much if it needs engine work,, maybe $600-1000 and throw in a used engine for $600. You could part it out for 1000 and break even! Plus the nightmare of storing parts, mailing boxes, etc. hard saying until you know the problem. Carb cleaning could be the issue!
  2. 20Fingers

20Fingers GS Giant Alumni Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amherst area Va, have land for guest camping!
    Its going to be my first long trip destination when the snow clears this spring, have to come out n see you and my old beast! It's amazing that she was till running with the broken piston! BMW quality! Happy to know that you don't have a bottom end issue as we thought, upper end rebuilds should be a bit easier but then again, were did the broken bits end up??? Cheers, and look forward to seeing more as you go! MC aka 20Fingers:freaky
  3. divimon2000

Oddometer:
    Hey, glad you checked in, the bits were riding along with the piston and we have it all! Post a pic of the replacement bike here!
    [​IMG]
  4. 20Fingers

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve,
    I sold this bike to the boys at ADV Garage...also, I was the one who took the 650 to Max for some help! Yes, they indicated that only three reasons could be causing the loss of oil through the breather tube, on top of their diog, I spoke to ROTAX in Germany regarding the problem (out of frustration with not getting help at another NON-Max dealership) A five minute conversation with the tech at Rotax indicated that ONLY three reasons for the oil leak:
    1) over fill, which is something of a common problem with these bikes and new owners...judging oil capacity and need for more oil. YES, I did over fill it about a year ago, discovered the problem, dumped the oil and refilled before 2 miles got on the odo.
    2) Seal failure on the counter balance shaft, leaking oil from the crank case into the right side housing that has the vent tube on it.
    3) Compression leak issue, causing a pressure build up in the crank case. Which was the problem ADV Garage discovered when they broke down the motor! AMAZING to me the bike was still running at all!

In retrospect regarding the money I spent on a dealership (NOT MAX), time, effort, and frustration with getting ZERO answers, ONE email or phone call to ROTAX could have saved me $600 in diagnostics and run-around! ADV RIDER was instrumental in my eventual success in finding the right help! I accessed the Thumper pages and found the right advice which led me to contacting ROTAX. Just wish I had done this prior to visiting the cheesy dealer who took my money (happily I might add) and sent me home with no real answer and no results. One stinking call-email, could have saved me a bundle!

Can't wait to see her back up and on the road this summer, or winter, depending on when ADV garage gets the job done!
  5. 20Fingers

Oddometer:
    Here's what I am riding now...however sweet she is, I will ALWAYs miss my Thumper! Maybe we can swing a deal to buy it back...when I win the lottery, that is!
    [​IMG]:super
  6. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report! Thanks for taking the time to post up and share!
  7. ericsbr

ericsbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey MC,

glad to have you tuned in! we're having a blast with the bike rebuild. it'll be back in top shape for spring, maybe we'll head over your way for the first adventure ride!

Eric
  8. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    Hey, you've gone this far. You could go with one of the long stroke cranks and/or big bore barrel. I think you can go out to 850cc and near on 80hp using both. yes, I know it defeats the whole purpose of the bike; moderate power and good economy. I'll see if i can find the link.
    This engine is used in the bombardier DS650 quad bike. So there are a number of hot up options.
  9. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    I googled ds650 performance.
    Oh, and it is Can-Am ds650. (By bombardier)

These guys do piston kits, gaskets etc: http://www.ctracing.com/ds6501.htm
    Ah, here is the 800cc kit. ( I was nearly right): http://www.omwracing.com/engines_rotaxds650.htm

You'd have to figure out the injection and timing. But would be a fun project.
    There are plenty more to choose from . Might be a good place to look for gaskets.

Anyway, just FYI.
  10. divimon2000

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that info, someone may be interested. We're going stock for cost and reliability. I personally love the gas mileage and reliability of the factory set up.

Hope those parts come in soon!
  11. divimon2000

Oddometer:
    20 Fingers, excellent info. Its nice to have a post that is well rounded; now most of the "T"'s are crossed and "i"'s dotted for the next poor SOB! Looks like you made out just dandy. WHat a bike. Yes, come here or we'll plan our first adv via maine to NB, etc. I'm still riding here (not today).
  12. 20Fingers

Oddometer:
    I have TONS of camping space and you can have access to a kitchen n potty (of course)...it's a heck of a place to call home and near perfect for a few (20+ eveb) bikes to stop over...anytime! Just give me some lead time to we can prepare!

Cheers
    20Fingers:rayof
  13. ericsbr

ericsbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Box-0-Parts!

Several OEM BMW engine parts arrived yesterday. A few are still backordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. ericsbr

ericsbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New water pump seals from Rotax!
    [​IMG]
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post where you bought the WP seals please. They appear to be of a different material than the ones from the dealer?
  16. ericsbr

ericsbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got these from a rotax dealer since BMW only sells a WP kit which includes a shaft and impeller (mine were OK). The guy told me these were the new design rotax W/P seals, part number 230195. (old number 230196). http://www.crg-america.com/kart-part.asp/itemId/29968/parts//kart//karting/Oil%20Seal%20A%2010x26x7%20NBR%20(FR%20DD2%20...

They are used in a rotax racing kart engine (FR125). it has the same water pump design as the f650.

#35 in this picture- http://www.crg-america.com/kart-par...TERNAL/karting/Rectangular Ring IS2-54 49 4x1
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had seen that site before but was not in the market at that time for seals. I am one of the ones with a wonderful seal eating machine!!:cry..... although I changed the clutch side cover 24000kms ago and it seems to be only a drop or so after sitting for awhile which now seems normal. Before the side cover change I went through 4 water pump kits all under warranty, the 5th kit is when we changed the cover and another shaft and seal. I was long past warranty but BMW covered it under their goodwill program.
    I'll pick up a set of these seals for my travell spares, Thanks
  18. FolkGirl

FolkGirl Guitar Slinger

Oddometer:
    :1drink Just tuning in from the virtual ADV couch. Nice bike, Eric! I am partial to that color :D

Steve, saw your Dakar in traffic over the weekend in B-Town! Mine is snowbound in the backyard shed :cry
  19. divimon2000

Oddometer:

Bout time! Let me know if you want to come over for the "put it back together days" coming up early Feb.

Yeah, riding in town Sunday was like a major training class in dodging the other guy, what a mess. But it was fun!
    At Co-op:
    [​IMG]
    Is it OK to park in "Bike" stalls?

So far I have more riding days in this winter than my buddy with his snowmobile. I think I can win by a longshot. :freaky
  20. FolkGirl

FolkGirl Guitar Slinger

Oddometer:
    Yeah, love to watch/help that go back together. Keep me posted.