'13 F800GS Madstad Issue

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Trailblazin, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Trailblazin

Trailblazin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed this shield before my 5k mile tour. It was working fine until I got into windy Kansas. I pulled over and noticed that the right winglet had been vibrating its way through my fairing. The F800gs changed their fairings in 2013 and I suspect that this is the issue because no one has had this problem on the earlier models. I took the winglets off but without them this shield is not usable; it causes a ridiculous amount of buffeting. This is going to cost me a good $500 to fix. Would a company like this offer compensation for the damage it caused? Or is the best I can expect a refund?

[​IMG]
  2. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is hard to tell from your photo, but I assume there is a crack in the fairing.

You can waste you time trying to get the company to do something or just fix it yourself. I cracked mine where the stock windshield attaches on the fairing along with another crack that was larger. I just glued and fiberglassed the back side of the fairing. It is stronger than before. It cost about $10 to fix.
  3. lookaught

lookaught Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I agree. It's not really "through" the fairing, it made a mark. If it's rubbing, shave some off with a file or grinder.

The F800GS is an ADVENTURE bike. If you don't have some dings and scratches... well... you're doing it wrong.:freaky
  4. Heifer

Heifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Madstad is a great company to deal with. For what it is worth, I would call Mark, the owner, let him know about your problem so he can rectify it for future customers, and either have him or you shave off the winglet that is rubbing against the fairing. A little shaving and touch up paint and life is good. Letting him know about your little problem will help others.