2014/15 Ural reviews?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by dbc254, Feb 16, 2015.

1. dbc254

dbc254 V-Strom1000

Oddometer:
    I'm really getting the itch. Fuel injection. 2nd generation firmware upgrade makes 'em run real nice. Brembo brakes all around and a hydraulic steering dampener to better that pesky "yaw" better than the old friction type. 2-into-1 exhaust and taller gearing to lower the rpm's on the hiway. Sounds like fun, but what's the reality of OWNING one of these beasts?
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh The gear ratio is unchanged :deal

They DO accelerate better, have less yaw, and the cT is definitely more fun to drive on the road. But maintenance will be pretty similar to earlier versions except for carbs and points.
  3. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 into 1 exhaust is after market for now.
  4. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DBC, have you ridden a sidecar bike? The Ural is a very small bike, granted the 2 wheel drive is interesting. I had the itch, but got over it soon after the test drive. I had to drive 300 miles to find a dealer. The side car is small, the metal is thin and as they say on the Ural forums it will rust, very quickly. If you buy one I would suggest undercoating the sidecar inside and out. The maint schedule is very short, lube everything and change the motor oil, transmission and FD often.

If you want more insite to the Ural go to the Soviet Steeds site, may be very interesting.

Good Luck
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    You pay a high $ premium for outdated technology.
    But they are fun.
    Highway gearing? It's still a Ural.
  8. GeezerStank

GeezerStank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to a Demo and rode the new CT, a new Gear Up and Patrol. I got to put some good time in on them, the Demo guy let me ride them multiple times, and he let me take off on my own for awhile on one ride. Yes the prices are up, but compared to building a rig the price is still darn good. Same old story, what does it cost to build a rig with reverse and 2WD. Those are huge must haves for me. The new motors are so much more torquey and cruising at 65 is a breeze. The new bikes made my 2010 Gear Up feel so outdated and wheezy, my 2010 had mods, these new ones were stock and would outrun my 2010 in any condition, especially prolonged freeway cruising. Add in the FI, updated steering damper(what a difference) and the triple discs, they really are a sweet package. Price is up, but they sure are nice now.

If you don't like Urals, no biggie, if you do like them, all these changes are welcome and very nice. To each his own..... :D
  9. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 98 doesn't have a speck of rust on the chair. And it's been ridden in the snow every year by myself and the previous owner.
  10. elizilla

elizilla Not Quitting Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2008 is getting rust around the bolts that hold the chair to the frame, even though it's rhino-lined. I ride it in the snow every year as well.
  11. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do some more homework. You've got some misconceptions. Still the same FD gearing. Yeah the new ones will hit 70 mph but you can't travel all day at 70. It's still a backroads speed outfit not a freeway flier. The 2 into 1 exhaust is aftermarket.
    Small tub? Thats subjective. I think it's a pretty large tub. Plenty of room and comfortable. It's a sidecar not a Buick. IMHO the sheet metal is plenty thick. I live in 10 months/year rain country and none of my 3 tubs are rusted. With you in PA with road salt, yup like anything else made of steel you'll have more rust issues than those who don't live in the rust belt states. That's not a Ural issue. thats a road salt issue. The EFI on my 014 has been trouble free. Brakes are good. Over all nicer outfit than my 06 and 011. No comment on the hyd steering damper. Mines barely in the game, no need for it but even on my mech damper Urals I run them them just tight enough to keep'm from falling off. If the bike is set up correctly you don't need it on the road.
  12. BWeber

BWeber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike will maintain 70mph plus (indicated on Garmin) with the R90 upgrade but its not fun at that speed for long. I have maintained over 80mph a couple times (indicated on my Garmin), but that was with optimal conditions. A one hour ride to work on hwy 69 south of KC at 75mph and I'm ready to get off the bike.
    One of the other Ural owners in KC said he rode for long distances at high speed without issue but he was much smaller than me and maybe the bike fit him better? He rode a Tourist with a R90 conversion.
    Urals are a blast down below 50mph where I feel they are made to run.
  13. icefield

icefield n00b

Oddometer:
    My 2008 Patrol and I were on I-5 and could only get up to 60, so it's all back roads for me, which are far more enjoyable than the interstate.

The journey is the fun part of URAL ownership.
  14. gsjo

gsjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wifes Ural (well I let her think that) is a hoot. But it is used as a road legal
    ATV. Grocery & dog hauler. Fire trails, mountain two lanes. Respect its limitations and it's all good.
    Joe
  15. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl I left SE Mich in '69. Any thing that wasn't plastic on my vehicles would rust:rofl
  16. elizilla

Oddometer:
    I am regularly amazed when I pull up next to some Pontiac or Saturn at a traffic light, and it has no visible rust. Plastic cars FTW!

But Urals are old school, with steel bodywork.
  17. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Look underneath at the chassis......:eek1
  18. prstone50

prstone50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Ural spring demo rides should be coming up soon. If you haven't already join their email list at http://www.imz-ural.com/ . The demo rides are rather long so bring gear appropriate to your weather. They also have beginner rides so if you are new to a hack they kinda teach you how not to damage yourself and the bike :clap. . Plus, I got a sweet t-shirt and other swag ! I love my 2013 Gear Up, 7000 miles and no problems . I ride year round in Wyoming, in town that is, quite a handful in the snow over 40mph. My wife drives it too , drives...slip...they drive like atvs but still a motorcycle haha. ! You can throw a weeks worth of groceries in the sidecar so one could justify it as another car haha. I find that the maintenance interval doesn't bother me, rather relaxing to work in the bike, they are so simple. Of course it could blow up this afternoon , but I would get another one for sure :wink: If you don't like smiling or talking to people stay away from these rigs. The new 2014 and up do handle better with the new dampner, but you can get it as an upgrade. The new brakes are nice for sure ! Fuel injection, as much as I hate fancy crap like that I would say it would be nice to have. Join the Sovietsteeds site, lots of good guys there and months worth of info to read .
  19. elizilla

Oddometer:
    The other great thing about the new Urals is that they have a spin-on oil filter. That's high on my list of upgrades to get for my 2008, when I can.
  20. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Never a Dull Moment

Oddometer:
    I traded my 2010 Ural patrol in for a 2013 Gear-Up after owning the 2010 for 4 years. They are old school but that also allows you to work on it without a problem. Granted, if a Ural is not your piece of cake, no problem. But I certainly love riding mine ALL YEAR LONG (yours may be in the garage keeping it warm..lol) and also having the dealer ship parts to me (for my old ural) and having ME fix it and STILL be covered under warranty. I can't say that for ANY other motorcycle out there that the dealer would be willing to do that. Heck, even now with a different bike, if you change your oil it is almost voiding the warranty...lol
    I haven't needed anything on the 2013 and already have 7000 kms within a few months. Even driving in Vermont during the salty winters, it is not rusting at all. Tires start to slip some while enjoying your offroading, reach down, shift it into 2wd and continue onwards. Gotta like that.
    Granted, other hacks with 1wd should be able to drive the winter months without a problem. But I seem to find myself to doing a little offroading away from people, when I can. Love those snowmobile trails.