XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Spud Rider, Mar 7, 2011.

1. michael.brat

michael.brat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spud, curious why you decided to reinstall the charcoal canister?

Mike
  2. guinnessextreme

guinnessextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apparently, there is a run on fuse box covers! :D

"Thank you again for your purchase from BikeBandit.com. Due to high demand, the manufacturer has marked the item(s) listed below in your order XXXXXX backordered. "

COVER, FUSE BOX

$8.32

Back Order
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was originally fooled by mistaken reports the oil separator was a "charcoal canister." :huh Also, I believed the "charcoal canister" would make it far more difficult to work on my bike's carburetor. :ddog However, after reading posts by Steve, mcmc111, and Brian, techforlife, I realized the importance of the oil separator; therefore, I repented, and reinstalled the unit. :bow

I now believe the Honda engineers had very good reasons to design, and install the oil separator; I also believe my engine will run better with it installed. :nod In addition, I believe the carburetor can suck oil into the engine when the bike is running for extended periods at high speeds without the oil separator present. :deal

I now realize if you loosen three spring clamps, the oil separator is quickly removed from the bike, permitting easy access to the carburetor. :D Therefore, I can't see any good reasons to run my bike without the oil separator. :nod

Spud
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew I should have bought stock in those fuse box covers! :becca

Spud :rofl
  5. michael.brat

michael.brat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Humm, thanks for the feedback; I'll consider that when removing the smog components! Now that you mention the charcoal canister mistake; I believe it is only on Cali models and is located on the front of the bike above the skid plate. I have one on my XR.

Mike
  6. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you are correct regarding the charcoal canister, Mike. :nod

Incidentally, I rode my XR650L for over 3,000 miles with the oil separator removed, and I certainly didn't harm my motorcycle. :wink: Many others have removed the oil separators from their bikes, and ridden many miles without problems. :nod However, I personally feel better now that I have returned my bike to the original design configured by the Honda engineers.

Spud
  7. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the batteries are now going to be available more like end-of-may. That is going to seriously crimp my riding, my batt is good for about 10 seconds of crank-time.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I ordered mine march 30, they were supposed to be out by the end of april.

I knew trusting their delivery date would make me feel like a putz...

Dave
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear about the delay, Dave. I would certainly loan you my old battery, but you are a continent away from me; I hope someone closer quickly responds to your request. :nod

I am very glad I ordered my Shorai battery when I did; it is still performing very well for me. :nod My battery relocation is also working very well; I have not encountered any problems with it. :clap I can still recommend my Shorai battery relocation without reservations. :D

Spud :wave
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I groused on shorai's website about the delayed delivery and received a response from their operations manager within two hours. That's pretty good in my book.

Mid-may.

Dave
  10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, that's good customer service. :nod

The battery terminals are a bit flimsy on my Shorai battery. :deal However, the next batch of Shorai batteries is supposed to correct this problem. :nod I really don't have any complaints concerning my first-generation, Shorai battery; it is performing very well for me. :D In addition, I appreciate the 2-year warranty than comes with the Shorai battery. I am very pleased with my purchase, and I'm confident the next batch of Shorai batteries will be even better than the first batch. :thumb

11. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Got my Fuse box cover:clap
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for you, CC! :D

After riding over 5,000 miles, my Shorai battery relocation is working superbly. :nod The NX650 fuse box cover protects the fuses very well, and the velcro keeps the battery firmly attached to the top of the air box. The Shorai battery cranks the engine strongly, and easily starts my XR650L. I am still very pleased with my Shorai battery relocation, and I can recommend it without reservation. :nod

[​IMG]

13. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Did you check the Gulch? :dunno
  14. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    I think I might have had a hand in that card game :bueller
    Anyway, no, it won't run any better, but it should use a little less engine oil. :trp

That's right, it won't hurt anything. Actually, the misty oil vapors are just adequate to lube the UNI so all you have to do is clean it when it gets dirty and oil it once after :deal Tradeoffs :getiton
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figure if my bike uses less engine oil, it is running better, Ono. :D I also think the intake vacuum from the carburetor might draw some oil vapor into the cylinder, and my engine will perform better with a purer fuel/air mixture. :wink: In any event, I trust the Honda engineers had a reason for designing the oil separator, so I decided to put it back on my XR650L. :nod

16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't find Galt's Gulch! I think they are employing some kind of shield to hide its location. :evil

17. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    One thing I've learned over the years - if ya think yer bike's running better, then it is! :getiton :deal :dunno :ricky

Hey Spud :wave

I'm sure my bike's engine runs just fine without the oil separator in place, has for years, and I'd venture to guess that a host of many others run top-notch without the oil separators also. If careful measurements were made, it would be a surprise to me if the oil consumption via mist approaches that which gets by the valve seals and rings. In your situation, I believe I would better make the argument by declaring to be concerned about the additional oil mist contacting the relocated components in the airbox. Hiding behind the idea that the Honda engineers know, and you don't, may be good logic in itself, and certainly a safe presumption, but it doesn't bring any new light to the discussion.

It's no mystery what the oil separator does or why the engineers employed it. The function of the oil separator is clear: to allow oil mist suspened in the crankcase venting air a space to slow down and condense out on the walls, from which it can then flow back by gravity into the engine's crankcase. Minute quantities of oil in the combustion chamber won't make the engine lose power, and might even help with long-term wear, but it can cause the exhaust emissions to exceed the federal mandates and disqualify the bike from being street legal in the USA. (think 2-stroke cycle) HTH :deal

Your mission, should you accept, is to track down that shield and de-activate it! :lol3 Rumor has it that Galt's Gulch is within the Idaho mountains :dunno
  18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it is so. However, I am riding harder, and using less oil, since I reinstalled the oil separator. It might be interesting if you performed the same experiment. :nod
    As you know, the CDI unit is completely sealed, so I doubt it is vulnerable to oil mist. :1drink Indeed, the intake vacuum of the engine is so high, and the air filter so effective, I truly doubt any oil mist can penetrate the air filter to soil the interior of the air box. :wink:
    Indeed, that's why I like the oil separator. :D
    Mission accepted! :rofl Did anyone mention anything about a Shorai battery relocation in this thread? :amazon

:hide

19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Lucky so-and-so @$%%$ :eek1

So yeah, how's the relocation worked out after all those miles? I'm betting no news is good news! :nod I wish you were slamming over rocks all day long like I do with mine (except lately with the shift shaft broken off) so I could see if it would stand up to the beating before being the guinea "pig". :D
    Oooooo, I'd better go out and start that pig; hasn't run in weeks! :shog
    BTW, my oil breather hose is coming in the upwind (airbox) side of the air filter so the mist is sucked through the filter keeping it oiled. :deal
    Perhaps it's a reasonable assumption that oil won't harm the CDI unit, but is it a bet worth taking? :dunno I don't think it's a good long-term bet! :hmmmmm
    Peace be with you! :freaky
  20. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rocky Mountains of Idaho also contain a few rocks, so I do slam over some myself. :wink: I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation is working very well. :nod I am also happy the 10+ pounds of the "battery suitcase" is not slamming my subframe every time I pound through the Idaho rock piles. :deal
    Good for you! As with many others, I was routing my breather hose into the bottom port on the carburetor side of the air filter. :shog Your routing of the breather hose makes much more sense. As long as you don't mind the extra oil consumption, I can't see a downside to your configuration. :nod Personally, I prefer the oil separator. However, I really don't care if others choose to remove it. :wink:
    If someone routes the air hose as you do, on the air box side of the air filter, the CDI unit will indeed get oil on it. :eek1 I think the CDI unit is probably sealed well enough, but I personally wouldn't want to coat it with oil from the crankcase. :huh Therefore, if one wishes to mount the CDI unit in the air box, I would recommend he not route the crankcase breather hose as you have done. :deal