The Search for a Solid, Safe $300 3 Season Jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DaveCraige, Apr 21, 2013.

1. EJSCC2

EJSCC2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought an Alpinestars Cape Town jacket in HiVis in January. Love it. The HiVis is where it should be - top of the arms and shoulders. Mesh 3/4 length jacket with internal waterproof liner and additional insulated liner (full sleeves). Purchased for $200 at local BMW dealer in Birmingham, AL - great purchase and highly recommended. (No connection, planned on doing a full review but have not gotten around to it). :deal

Had planned on purchasing the Olympia Transitions jacket, but liked the placement of the hi vis materials better on this once I tried it on. I prefer to purchase locally when I can, and was offered a price that made it the ONLY way to go.

6'2", 240 lbs, 36-38" waist, 32" length pants, (fairly long waisted) > purchased a 2XL jacket.

I ride a Vstar 1100 with a barn door for a windscreen, but get wide range of usability out of it... In January, I made several 140mile runs in 38 degree starting temps with jacket and both liners over a chamois long sleeve shirt with a long sleeve tshirt underneath. I could have layered more, but didn't need to - was a brisk day ride to sign up a client and turn around and head back home. Last week I did another run toward GA leaving in 85 degrees, and the jacket was fine. Toward the end of the day I did realize that I had not been drinking enough water but was never uncomfortable and did not resort to wetting down underneath etc. With a mesh jacket you have to be aware that when temps get over 93 degrees or so you are typically better off changing to another type of jacket because the hot air does less to cool you but you are still sweating a ton, but don't realize it because it's being evaporated quickly by the wind.

I have found this to be a very reasonably priced jacket for the southeast US weather and my riding styles. Around here, it is certainly a fall/winter/spring jacket, and can be used for shorter runs in the summer, but probably not the best choice for longer trips when temps get mid 90's plus.

Reviewed on WebBikeWorld.com
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/alpinestars-cape-town-jacket/

Reviewed on Revzilla
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-cape-town-air-jacket

(That was the first time in 25 years of selling software and computer consulting services that I ever used an emoticon. I feel dirty...)
  2. DaveCraige

DaveCraige Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the way Rv'It looks and feels but my concern is safety. I don't believe they use Cordura like Klim and Olympia do. Instead it says it is made of : Outer shell: polyester rib, PWR|shell mesh

If it was Cordura I would have probably already bought a Rev'It
  3. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    +1 on the FirstGear Rainier, it's a great value and works in everything but really hot weather (although I rode through Death Valley in early September in it and survived :rofl). Pockets are completely waterproof too, and that's saying something when you commute through the winter in Vancouver.

FirstGear stuff surprised me, I sold an Aerostitch Roadcrafter jacket and bought a Rainer, and couldn't have been happier. YMMV.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I have this and like it but it's a 4 season jacket IMO. I've also found that by wearing the appropriate underlayers and a heated vest that I can use my Olympia Bushwacker mesh jacket (I think Moab is the newest incarnation) well into early winter.

5. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tourmaster Transition has seen me well through 3 seasons so far... but this is San Diego so seasons mean something different to us. :lol3
  6. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with my Klim Traverse. I do have the armour but also wear it without armour, over a pressure suit. Just something to think about. They pop up in the flea market every now and again so you can save a few bucks.
  7. bimmer5891

bimmer5891 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safety being a concern I would definitely recommend upgrading the armor in any jacket you go with. We.ve brought in Forcefield armor just for this reason. I've found most jackets in the $300 range just don't have adequate armor protection. An option a few of my customers have gone with is the Forcefield Pro Shirt and Klim Traverse jacket. This provides a decent street set up then for offroad days when its really hot they wear the Frocefield shirt and a jersey instead of the Traverse jacket. Forcefield also makes fantastic replacement armor that comes in varying sizes so it will fit into most jackets.

8. DaveCraige

DaveCraige Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I have been considering recently. Seems to be the most safe option.

I like the idea of the Klim Overland Jacket [ link ] however I think the forcefield armor shirt will be definitely safer in the case of a crash.

(I guess the title of this thread should be changed to "The Search for a Solid Safe $600 3 season Jacket")