Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brmax and 11motos like this.
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    A couple if threads in Road Warriors already.

Probably the same argument as the Versys regarding whether it's a Beast or a Road Warrior, or both.

That article had some new info though, thanks.
  3. vulcancruiser

vulcancruiser n00b

Oddometer:
  4. AndyGilbert

AndyGilbert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was really hoping that one of the new bikes would be another dual sport to go along side the NC700X. I am happy with what they came up with. I would have preferred them to release a 700cc bike line, but they look to have done well. I am very interested to see what price they put on the 'X' model; it is 'TBD' at the moment. Probably higher than the 'F' model's $5500.
  5. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
  6. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isnt this bike a direct competitor for the VStrom?
    Bang42 likes this.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Same general idea: Upright riding ergos, taller suspension, light duty dirt roads.. Entry level price, Honda quality... and if 500 cc isn't enough for ya, they also have the NC700X..

If these bikes steer new or returning riders away from cruisers and onto "standard" bikes, mission accomplished.. The snowball effect is it gives us more choice in the adventure touring segment.

Still hoping Honda will offer the CrossTourer 1200 here in North America.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I'm interested!

I think it looks like it would make a fun little run-about to go with my over weight gas guzzling Nomad...

One to haul a passenger, the other for exploring those little back roads that aren't on the map...
  9. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a standard bike, every bit as much of an adventure bike as a CBR 600RR...
    The Original Crum likes this.
  10. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is taken from here http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

"The CB500X is an excellent choice for riders ready to move up a displacement class, or for anyone who appreciates a great middleweight motorcycle for practical in-town riding, or fun adventure-sport touring."

Practical in town riding is all it does, and fun adventure-sport touring is the ride to a coffee shop meeting, especially considering their long travel suspension, nearly 125 mm. Even a Wee declares 160, and everything that is supposed to be ridden off pavement comes with 200 at the least.
    Mr1wilderness likes this.
  11. 357

357 n00b

Oddometer:
    Now all they need to do is stick this engine in a proper off-road capable frame, and they'll have a replacement for the XR650L.
  12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I can't understand why Honda is offering this bike alongside the 700x. It seems like the exact same market segment to me.
    One's a V twin and the other is a parallel twin and they're 200cc apart...otherwise...?
    Tio Frei likes this.
  13. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Which one is the V-twin?
    Zongie likes this.
  14. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both are inline twins.

In Europe it does make sense, as riders with a restricted license can't get the 700... But it doesn't make sense anywhere else.
  15. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Whoops...yeah, they're both parallel twins. Even more puzzling then. Seems like they'll be competing with one another on the showroom floor, almost guaranteeing the Dealer is gonna get stuck with something.

I wouldn't be a Honda dealer for anything these days.
  16. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    In various forums there has been a contingent of people say that they want a version of the NC700X that has more horsepower, a steeper power curve with a higher redline, and doesn't hit the rev limiter just when if gets fun for them. Now they have it .... about the same horsepower as the 700X but with a conventional 500 cc DOHC engine and 40 or 50 lbs less weight. I think there still will be people attracted to the 700X because of it's unique high efficiency engine and not-a-tank storage. It is just different enough than other middleweight bikes to carve out it's own niche. For the riders getting off a scooter or CBR250 that want a conventional revver and don't want a supersport 600 there is a brace of 500cc bikes now. I think it makes good sense in the US after the large success of the CBR250R. There are buyers if the price is right and the value is there.

In a broad view this is big news for Honda and not a small risk for the conservative company it has been of late. Say what you will about the individual offerings but they haven't released this many bikes at once in a very long time. None of the big four Asians has and I think with the variety and value here they are bullish on a recovery in the motorcycle market place after the last 4 years of sales decline. There will be other new bikes in March 2013 too. It's not over.
    00Buck likes this.
  17. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    The concept is great - I hope Honda delivers.
    The X misses it by not having 17/19" wheels. A nod to the Strom there.
    A parallel motor should make for a nice compact package as the old Kawi EX500 did.
    The X and R look to be sensible bikes. Can the USA handle a sensible bike?
    I like 'em (as I do the Ninja 300).
    Pocket rockets can be fun!

Cool
    [​IMG]
  18. XZed

XZed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the middle weight class is finally heating up.

this is what I've been wiating for....

If yamaha is asleep at the switch, looks like I'll be heading down to the Honda dealer before these are sold out! :nod
  19. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this engine will find its way into a street version of the new Dakar rally bike and replace the 650L? That could be quite a bike.

If not, then certainly they should have used a 19" front wheel

Oh and I would be willing to bet that this engine is a twin version of the CRF/CBR 250cc
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that setup with an offroad package would rock!
    i figured kawi would have done it with the versys by now but no.
    why can't the japanese figure this out? they are so close.
    honda was competing with bmw for a bit but now bmw/husky are pulling away with strong bike concepts.

either way someone like motech will eventually make a skid plate and you can get 17" tck-80 front (or lift the fender like versys guys do and use other adv tires) and thus someone will make ADV versions of this bike.

500cc twins are perfect for ADV bikes http://www.rallytwin.com/
    00Buck likes this.