Trading my KLR for a Burgman 400....another talk me out of it thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by doogiepooch, Nov 5, 2012.

1. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a little advice or devil's advocate or encouragement....whatever you want to throw out. I'd be buying new, probably trading after the first of the year for a 13' 400 Burgman.

Been riding for about 6 years, see in my sig I've been into sport bikes and dual sports. This summer I rode my KLR from NC to Yellowstone and kind of discovered I think my real passion is motorcycle travel. I want to do a couple more big trips next summer. I ride every weekend, mostly with a level headed guy in his 50's or my dad who is in his early 60's. I'm a get out and go to new places and see new things type rider, not a how fast I can get there type rider, not that a maxi scooter is slow. And for all the dual sports I've had, I don't ride off road, I've been on gravel once this year. The storage and look of the 400 are what draws me to it. The dash, the backrest, all the cubby holes! I think the 400 will be about as quick as my KLR maybe even a little faster and from what I've read will definatly handle interstate better. I need to find someone local that will let me ride a 400 but in the meantime lets chat about them. Are they as comfortable as they look and feel? Showroom floor is all the time I've had on one. Interstate, yes I know they'll do it all day long but I want to hear from some guys that use them for travel. I've read some stuff about some oil burn if you hold it at high interstate speeds for hours on end, anything to this? I'm certainly familiar with singles burning oil at constant high speeds but will it do 70-75 mph without burning? Guys that have dropped from a bike to a scooter.....do you miss a bike much or do all the positive of a scooter make up for it?
  2. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I am interested in hearing what answers you get.

As far as I am concerned as long as your ego can handle it, you will be happier with the Burgman.:wink:
  3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    to get this one rolling.

I have a KLR and last December got a scooter, not a Maxi just a 100 cc so I can't comment on the 400 you mention, how ever the ridding and experiences is night and day, how ever no wrong or better just different.

The thing I can say is that the KLR is a very high bike, a scooter will feel short, the feeling of been capable of going over any hole, rock and side walks,will go away as soon as you hit it! I no longer jump curbs, on the other hand wind protection is much better and with 400 windshield it will be even better, I no longer get cold legs.

The easy stores of the burgman is impressive, my little honda can't fit a full size M HJC helmet but it does hold a lot more than the KLR (obviously). Range? you will miss that on the KLR, on my little scooter I only get 100-120 miles per tank, but I do get 80-90 mpg so it is not bad.

I hope you get to ride one, since it is the only way that you can truly get to know a bike/scooter.

Damasovi
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a KLR and two smaller scooters. My opinion is that scooters are more practical as far as storage and they tend to have much better seats that the KLR but the KLR has a better riding position. Riding a scooter with it's more feet forward position and in the case of the Maxi Scooters, more pulled back handle bars may bother your back. If possible take a Burgman for a long ride and see how your back feels.

My recommendation, keep the KLR AND get a scooter. One bike is just not enough:D
  5. KennyT

KennyT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly don't even know what a KLR is, but think the Burgman 400 kicks butt from everything I have read...
    Will a 400 be big enough for your highway riding? I only have a 125 Agility, but love the thought of more!
    Committed to new? Watch craigslist. There are always Burmans (650s and 400s) for sale, but perhaps money is no object...
    Either way, my guess is you will love the scooter, but I like Klaviator's answer that one is not enough. Perhaps if you buy used, you won't need to trade the KLR (whatever it is! :)). I can't wait to see the picture of your new bike!
    Ken
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned 2 KLR650s, and sold them both. I love them, but finally had to come to terms with the fact that they are simply not comfortable enough for me on long trips. I still like trail riding, and I bought an XT225 for that, and heavily modified it with just about every bolt on goodie you can get for them except hard panniers. I bought a Goldwing for comfort, but for a solo rider it is overkill, and it gets less mileage than my car. I still have it, but don't ride it that much anymore. My plans are to sell it and buy a Harley. The reason is the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 I bought new back in 2002. It is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, except for the Goldwing, and it's light weight and maneuverability more than make up for that. It is definitely an all day bike. I have put over 74,000 miles on it in 10 years. I have done 2 SS1000s on it, with ease. I will keep it till I wear it out. I test rode all the Japanese maxi scooters recently, with plans to buy one. But I found them very awkward, and harder to handle than the Goldwing. The Silverwing was the best fit, because it has cutouts in the floorboards so you can put you legs straight down beside it without having to hang your feet over the w-i-d-e floorboards of the others. They were so wide that even with a 34" inseam, I had trouble getting my feet on the ground. Even the tall KLR was easier to ride around town. I couldn't flat foot it, but I could tip toe it fairly easily. The edges of the floorboards hurt my legs when I tried to put my feet on the ground on the maxis.

I like scooters, I have 3, a Yamaha Vino 125 and Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella 2 stroke. They are a lot of fun, but they may as well not have any suspension. I have a bad back, and everytime I hit a bump, which is quite often around here, they pound my back like a jackhammer. Because your feet are out in front of you, it is difficult to raise yourself off the seat when you see a bump coming.

Last thing, I would check into the maintenance requirements. Some maxi scooters have ridiculously high maintenance costs. Especially check the valve adjustment intervals and procedure. I chose the Zuma 125 over the Honda PCX150 because it takes 15 minutes to do the valves on the Zuma, and 3 hours on the PCX. Apparently you have to remove the whole body and pull the motor to get to the valves on a Majesty. Dealer book says 6 hours labor. Not sure about the Burgman. But definitely something to consider.

If comfort is your main concern, you might want to look at a cruiser, although modern cruisers are not as comfortable as the older ones. The Vulcan 750 is a 1985 design. Newer ones are designed more for looks.

I noticed that the new Burgman 400 is only available with ABS, definitely a turn off for me. Most like it, I hate it.
  7. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'd like to talk you out of is buying new...I don't see that many B400's for sale around here, but Majesty 400's are fairly plentiful for well under $3K for a newish one. If you can possibly swing it, keep the KLR and pick up a used maxi.

When I got my Majesty, I also had an FZ1 and 2 smaller scooters. Ended up riding the 400 90% of the time- whether commuting or doing 500 mile days of twisties. The FZ1 was just stupid overkill in most cases. Now I have a DL650, the 400, and a CBR250. The DL and Maj get about equal time and the CBR comes out maybe 10% of the time (and waits patiently to be raced). The 400 has great weather protection, gets slightly better MPG and is invisible to cops but the suspension is harsh and handling is...weird. The DL rides like a Caddy and is more fun in the curves. I'm very glad to have options...
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Nor could I say that it would be a step up . MPG same. MPH near. Build one of crag vetters alska fairing on a KLR ( look up crag vetter web site ) and it almost better then a burgman 400 for protection. KLR with upgrades such as snake bar , seat etc is almost more comfortable in more types of riding.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    In May I traded in my 2009 KLR 650 for a 2012 Silver Wing. Boy do I know what you are feeling! Anyway, the KLR was a great bike just not for my use. It was too high and too heavy for any serious off-road use, for me. I have Trail 90's if I want to thrash them off-road and then pick them up w/o help :D The KLR did OK on road but was not meant for touring and therefore not all that comfortable. I got my KLR in August 2011 and put less than 2500 miles on it. Since buying the Silver Wing in May I have nearly 4000 miles on it! I took a week long trip from Arizona to Yosemite and back nearly 1700 miles and it was GREAT! The Wing is smooth and powerful and with the fuel injection can sail over the highest mountains flawless; went over 10K on the Yosemite trip. Why would anyone NOT want ABS? The storage is great too.

I have not ridden the 400 Burgman but have a friend that got his Iron Butt certification on one!!! So it must do OK!!!

Anyway to summarize, at 60 years old (me) the Wing is perfect for me! I have ridden many bikes since 1969; and am very happy with the big Honda! I think you will like the maxi-scooter idea. Check out the Burgman's, Honda and even the new BMW and make sure it "fits" YOU. Good luck. Oh and my Yosemite trip write up is in the DayTripper section and was late August or early Sept.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824559
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
  12. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:

Try this: http://bit.ly/UfXoh7

:deal
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    getting a scooter will negate all your preconceptions about about the dollars to fun ratio.

boats, will be penile extensions
    4x4s, meer idiot transceivers
    suvs, obstacles with fat smelly women in shock at your speed
    dual sports, fatter pigs of poor transportation
    dirt bikes, awesomer

do it
  14. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I presently ride a Gold Wing, but within a couple of years I'll be switching to a maxi scooter, probably a Burgman 650, or possibly a SilverWing, BMW, etc Whatever I buy will have to be a twin cylinder, and ABS brakes are a must have, at least in my opinion.
  15. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned 95 two wheelers. Probably 6 were scooters. I have a 94 Helix with over 65000 miles. I had a 400 Burgman. I think I have my Guzzi sold and I'll never buy another m/c. The Burgman will do it all. Don't worry about oil consumption. You're not going to ride wide open throttle all day. It will go 100 mph if you want. Great wind protection and comfort. I didn't even need a taller windshiel. The best 2 wheeler I've ever owned.
  16. Bearcat

Bearcat burg1

Oddometer:
    Well I can't tell you about the 400 as I've never ridden one, however I can tell you about the Burgman 650. In MHO if you're strong enough to handle it, (640 lbs.) my choice would be a 650 for your touring. Not that a 400 won't handle it, it's just that a 650 will be more stable on the highway and it's still great on the twisties. It has the adjustable windshield, electric mirrors and ABS brakes. It will hold enough supplies under the seat for several days, add a bag to the back and you're good for a week or longer. I have 2 650's, one a 2008 and one 2009. the 2008 has 14000 miles on it with not a bit of trouble, just the scheduled fluid changes and a tire change on the rear, still running the original on the front. My 2009 has 8000 miles on it and again, not a bit of trouble.

The Burgman 650 is called a scooter however I look at mine as a step through motorcycle, I will do just about anything a bigger motorcycle will do and gets around 53 mpg on the highway. I don't think you could goi wrong with ether one of them, the 400 or 650.

Bradford
  17. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of great answers here guys, I was actually suprised to see a few actually on the fence about it.

Seems like several of you mentioned abs, some for, some against. In my camp, with the surface area smaller on scooter tires, I'm all for any help abs will give me.

JerryH, while I'm not going to knock anyone with a cruiser, for some reason I just can't wrap my head around owning one. My dad has had a couple, even has a Suzuki Blvrd now, so I've riden them all, I just don't like anything about a cruiser. Although he also currently has a KLR and is also contemplating a maxi scooter.

Starbuck21's post is kind of how I envision life would be post bike and loving life on a scooter.

As far as new vs used goes, I could go and pick up one for 3,000 ish but the Mrs doesn't like me pulling out of savings for my motorcycle habit. She's very supportive of it but she'd much rather me make a small payment. So all my bikes I just finanace and pay the 3% interest. Maybe I'll look for one used at a dealer, my local dealer had an 09 but when I went back to look for a second time a couple days later someone else had snatched it up. Probably best, I want to wait till after the holidays anyway. I am going to have to cough up a little coin out of my secret stash to pay a little of the KLR off since I've basically only had it 5 months or so.

I guess bottom line, I love my KLR, hell I've bought 2 of them for a reason. But I think like alot of folks I'm more in love with the idea of an adventure bike than the actual use of an adventure bike or dual sport. I'm not a dirt rider at all and don't have alot of interest in it, especially on the KLR, to heavy offroad for my skill level. But I might pick up a small dualsport after I got a scooter. But my main focus is touring and usually a lot of super slab is involved. A scooter just seems like a good fit. But yes I do need to go ride one.

Keep the answers coming!
  18. topless

topless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a street legal KLX400 before I went to a scooter. Now I'm on a Burgman 400 and would not go back.
  19. scooterGdawg

scooterGdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hard to beat a scooter......none scooter folks can't understand it....

last month i sold my KLR.....it just wasn't for me...

i am trying to sell my burgman 400 now, but that isn't a reflection of it being a bad ride..... i just have too many bikes right now. I have the 650 also, it just happens to have sentimental value....47k smiles is hard to give up....
    I do have 17k smiles on my 400 tho......
    the burgmans are great rides..... you wont regret it, not for one second....
  20. gknepper

gknepper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Burgman owners have a great forum with lots of info. http://www.burgmanusa.com I read a ride report there about a year and half ago written by a guy that rode his Burgman 400 from Texas to the Pacific Northwest and back.