R80rt luggage compatible bet. mono and dual shock??

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Andosan, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Andosan

Andosan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the luggage mounts are the same for an 84 R80rt Mono-shock and a dual shock bike? Seems like that was the year they started switching to the post-84 seats. I have someone w/ luggage and mounts from his mono-shock and I'm trying to determine if it'll fit my dual shock R80rt. The parts fiche doesn't indicate very well.

Thanks,

Kai
  2. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    They are not. You would have to do some bending and drill 2 extra holes in the twin shock rear frame.
  3. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind also that BMW offered BOTH styles of luggage on the Mono bikes. You could get the K type "integral" cases and mounts, OR you could still get the "touring" type bags which were the same bag as used on twin shock bikes.
    The mounts for either style bag were different from one another and both were unique to the Mono lever bikes.
    See which bags that person has. If they are touring cases your good to go with the right mounts. If not,.....Oh well.
  4. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought 1985 was the first year for the R80RT monoshock?? :hmmmmm
  5. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    It was. But they were actually started in production in August of 84, which is the first of the 85 model year.
  6. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Gotcha!

I should have figured that out myself. I once had a '74 R90S that was actually manufactured in November of '73.