Keeping Gloves dry?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by pete40, Jan 23, 2009.

1. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Been riding 35 yrs. Never found a really good solution to keeping hands dry.

Done washing gloves over normal gloves - they eventually rip.

Done ski glove inners, forget to take them, end up too bulky.

Done gortex ski gloves - too hot in summer.

Had full over-gloves- forget to take them.

Anybody ever found a summer water-proof glove that would still protect in a crash?

There must be a comfortable, small, water-proof glove out there somewhere....

Anyone?
  2. guymcfly

guymcfly Banned

Oddometer:
    This will help...but nothing I've found is foolproof...

I get a water sealant (spray on) for clothes that I use on my snowboard boots/pants/gloves before each season starts. Apply a few thin coats to your chosen mitts...it really does help.

As I say, its not foolproof, but it helps.
  3. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    just buy waterproof gloves...there readily available. I've been using a pair for over 12 months and ridden for 3 days solid in pouring rain and hands remained dry...no joke, they work.

Goretex something or other lining and synthetic outer that doesn't absorb water

Actually I've got 2 sets...one for winter and one light weight pair for summer
  4. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For road use I always bought a pair of gloves with a goretex inner or sum such. But they only ever lasted one season. I have found that no waterproof glove lasts more than one season. So was buying a pair every 12 months. I kept my summer weight gloves under the seat and my WP gloves were the norm for winter. I changed them around during winter, winter weight under seat etc.
    I never suffered from really wet hands with gloves under 12 months old. Only gloves over that age got wet, IE :eek:ne winter and they were stuffed. I live in melbourne, covered at least 140km every work day. Always used the bike as there was no choice. If you want dry hands buy good gloves and replace them yearly because the waterproof membrane inside breaks down more every time you pull them on.
    cheers
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete...

We had a big debate discussion about this round a campfire at a recent ride. Seem's like you've had a shot at a number of the tried and proven alternatives?

My first question is, what do you mean by dry? ie: winter "warm and dry", summer "not sweaty to prevent blisters" dry, or "riding in torrential rain" dry. Sincerely, there are a lot of parameters out there, but basically here's a few basic alternatives I use, depending on weather, rain conditions and the temperature involved.

1. Sunny and fine +15 degrees plus... MX/enduro gloves (spare pair in back jacket pocket in case of mudhole encounter + towel to dry grips) oh... I put a fresh pair goggles in there too! :wink:

2. Rainy/wet/muddy +15 degrees plus... Neoprene mx/jetski gloves... Okay, so your hands aren't really "dry" but the neoprene cell retains moisture, warms up and your hands stay warm and no blisters from "bunching palmed" wet mx gloves. FOOTNOTE: mind you, this is for "active" enduro/offroad type riding... probably not the ideal if just tooling along the highway... fingertips will get chilly.

3. Sunny and fine; between + 5 up to +15 degrees plus... the same as option 1. but with a pair of surgical silicone gloves UNDERNEATH the mx gloves. This gives great comfort/dryness but insulates the fingers from the wind. Just make sure to don the silicone gloves in private first... the riding accomplices can tend to get a bit timid when they see you pull on the "plastics". :lol3

4. Rainy/wet/muddy; from + 5 up to +15 degrees... same as option two, but with the silicone surgical gloves underneath the neoprene ones.

Pete; I too have tried the dishwashing gloves OVER the riding gloves, but like you said - they can rip. Plus I find them diabollically slippery to hold onto the grips if there is any mud involved.

5. From zero to + 5 degrees; good quality winter weight enduro glove.

6. Under zero degrees; good quality goretex ski gloves.

Please bear in mind I ride mostly trail/enduro offroad, and have rally handguards on my bars (which deflect a lot of the windflow over the hands on those limited highway transport miles I do log), but at least a third of our riding season here in Sweden involves potential minus degrees and more that 60% of the time it can be wet and or muddy! It's actually been a while since I had a pair of sweat sodden gloves in 30 degree plus conditions... :bluduh
  6. clangers

clangers Love a drink

Oddometer:
    Or live where I live where it never fkn rains:baldy
  7. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete

In the last issue of ARR (Australian Road Rider) n.51 at page 53 they did a full test on gloves and waterproof. Good article and it may help with your questions.

Burt
  8. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Best thing I ever used were handlebar mitts. I had a pair years ago, made for me by a WA BMW club member. These were canvas with poly tarp lining; pretty agricultural looking but they worked.

On runs across the Nully in the late 70s, I would only wear a pair of cheap woolen gloves underneath and my hands were never wet, or cold.

PS: I have seen Dakar riders using them in years past, and also in the latest race.
  9. andtfoot

andtfoot Bike Misappropriator

Oddometer:
    Are there any of these that are designed to go over bark busters?
  10. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Some are, but you would have to have a good look at them. They also need to fit around the mirror stalks.

A couple of years ago I tried to get a pair (the name escapes me at the mo`) through a member of UKGSer who bought a heap of them and was selling them at cost, but he wasn`t keen on posting stuff overseas. These particular ones went over the hand guards of an 1150GS.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody who is handy with a sewing machine should be able to whip up a pair fairly easily. Just make patterns from newspaper or some such then get sewing.
  12. ararat

ararat Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer:
    Auckland the land of the rain and clouds...
    Need the machine.
    Lets try to make them. they dont need to go over the BB but need to have some way to clamp over the bar without removing the BB. may be scotch tape in the front where the top part is longer then the bottom.:scratch
  13. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Troy - post was prompted by riding in torrential rain last few days and getting soaked hands, then black dye in gloves runs and you have black stained hands for a few days.

I don't really mind riding enduro with wet hands, but I do hate cold hands so I put grip heaters on my bike.

Carmina - just give me a name.....

Will get the Road rider mag.

Those full cover thingies that you can put your hands in are good, seen them on courier bikes in UK and plenty of Kiwi farmers have them too.

Thanks guys.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    A lot of winter/snow riders over here use the over handguard mits... they work well, keep things warm/dry and there are models that do fit in conjunction with barkbusters (for the person that asked that question)...
  15. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:

Hippo Hands?
  17. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

No, they had an Itlalian name.
  18. rarebear

rarebear Garage gadget

Oddometer:
    Hi there pete40, yep the age ol' question of how to keep ya mits warm.After 20yrs of commutting to work everyday, touring in every conceivable condition and a fair bit of fanging over longer distances and trying that many bloody different pairs of gloves and tricks and always ending up with sodden mits. My idea may come as a shock to some-spend a shit load on good quality pair of gloves, who would of thunk it! I got myself a pair of BMW prosummer gloves.These gloves are a Goretex glove with a mix of leather and cordura.All the layers are sewn together so you don't get the ol'twisted inner syndrome.I'm pretty fussy with my gloves as i don't like thick winter gaunlets that feel like you're holding onto the fat nextdoor neighbours eerrrr you get the idea,anyhow there a great all year round glove that you just slip a pair of silk inner gloves under when it gets really cold.Absolutely waterproof after a days pissing conditions, warm and great feel to the bars and still breath well when things heat up.I use then offroad and on, and no i don't work at a BMW shop or wear slippers and smoke a pipe.You should pay around $150-160.I've had mine for 18 months and still like new.
  19. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    Valencia-Spain-Europe / Banora Point-NSW-Australia
    Mani dell'ippopotamo

:D :D :D

Sorry I could not resist it

Adios
  20. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    I got my bar mits (sounds Jewish) from my local Suz. shop for the 4 wheeler, work a treat, don't recall the name but will have a look later and see if they fit the 9fiddie bars:D