Tracks for Western Newfoundland RedNeks on the Rock

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada' started by Canuman, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    There has been some interest in the Canada regional forum surrounding a trip some of us DamYankees are planning for August 2013 to Newfoundland. Realistically, we will have about ten days to ride the Rock in 2013. The core members of the group are mostly interested in riding off-pavement. One member of the group is a fan of pre-Colombian history, especially that of the Vikings and Celts, therefore we'll go to L'Anse Au Meadows. Two members are pilots. We'd like to see Botwood and Gander. We are all interested in camping out and being as self-sufficient as possible. One member is an amateur film-maker, and I am a very amateur photographer and somewhat experienced journalist. We intend to document our trip to this fantastic part of North America carefully.

Given the limited time available, I've constructed the two routes featured here. In total, they form a core route of about 1100 miles (1770 kilometers). As we want to explore, talk to local people, and take plenty of pictures, each day is capped at about 200 miles. Some days, 200 miles will be over before noon. Others, we may struggle to make camp before dark.

These are sketches of routes. They have not been pre-run or verified, although they contain portions of well-proven routes. They may not be accurate or even possible. I am posting them in the hope of getting commentary and local knowledge.

The northbound route: View attachment Tims NFL Northbound.gpx
  2. Canuman

Oddometer:
    The southbound route. I've tried to avoid overlap and pavement as much as possible, but some is inevitable. This province was traditionally served by the sea, and began building roads late in life.

View attachment Tim's NFL Southbound.gpx

Comments are appreciated.
  3. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:

All I know is that I hope Anton brings extra loaner Russian Condoms for the ride up the Cat Arm River.
  4. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    After storm Sandy, NY run out of rubber and I switch to heavy duty construction garbage bags as a condoms!!! Nice!!!! Great success!!!!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PvgleM10MDg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duh, I just realized you're in Brooklyn! How are you faring down there? Is there anything you need that we can help you with?
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We should probably take the good-natured banter over to the main thread. The mods are pretty strict about keeping this thread GPS related.
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Here a RR that we did some of what you are proposing to do. The last few pages have the GPX files.

Translab 2011

A few notes:

We did both sides of Red Indian Lake. You really can't see the Lake on either side, but I thought the ease bound side was more fun to ride.

***Gas can be an issue on this section. There is gas at the north end of the Lake (Buchannans junction), so make sure you stop! Having said that I made it from Deer Lake to Burgeo (but I wouldn't recommend it).

The dirt roads west of Gros Morne were absolutely stunning. I wish we would have spent more time there! Also, we did end up on two tracks that "existed" on Topo, but ended up being too rugged for us.

There is also a sizeable sink hole southern edge of Gros Morne if that is your thing to see.
  8. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I was planning to get into the backcountry around Gros Morne. Some maps I have show routes going through, some not. Guess we'll see!
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We ran many of the routes contained in the file here in late August 2013. The file is a composite of my own route planning and that of various others using information current at that time. It does not depict our actual route in some places, particularly at the crossing of Big Brook. I will download the actual tracks at a later point, as they need to be cleaned up considerably.

View attachment NFL AUG 2013 As Planned.gpx

[​IMG]

I am confident that the routes depicted can be successfully run on properly equipped dual-sport machines from the 400 to 650 cc class by riders of moderate skill, as that is what we used. Some sections could be daunting on larger bikes.

The ride report for the trip can be found here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172

The route, or parts of it, would make a good addition to a Trans-Lab. The route intersects the Labrador-Newfoundland ferry crossing at St. Barbe.