Gold Nugget Triathlon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, May 4, 2012.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Interested in riding the bike portion of the race with a course marshal on the back? This may be your chance! The organizers are looking for a handful of bikes to volunteer and the course is shown on this link and the race date is May 20, 2012.

Please post up or shoot me a PM if you're interested, and thanks!
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Just in case anybody was unfamiliar with the difference between road racing bicycles and mountain bikes. The nugget will have mostly road bikes.

Road bike:

[​IMG]

Mountain bike:

[​IMG]

Simple, really. May post more pics later just in case there are any questions. I think the Red Goat Rider is the guy that's probably really *really* at the helm here. Not completely sure. Holler if you have questions, would like to ride around w/ a course marshal on back for a few hours, or just need further clarification as to how to recognize a woman on a road bike. I'm here to help.
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    This is sort of a cyclocross bike. Bars are a little different.

[​IMG]
  4. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helikron you looking to do it again?
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Wow, GREAT photos Legion! You sure do know how to advertise for an event!

Makes me wish I still had a bike for hauling a Course Marshall around on like I did on the old Beemer. Fun!

Please tell me that last photo isn't your wife but instead some nice single girl who likes bicycling. :wink:

Mark H.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Legion I am interested if a 955i Tiger is a suitable M/C.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    They bear a remarkable resemblance to one another so I'd be all about making a 'trust but verify' pass but that's actually not Pam. The spacing's a little off between the seat and the grips. :1drink
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for volunteering, Druncle! A 955i ought to be more than seatable!

I'm going to see if we can get the real boss in here. I'm guessing that he'll be able to shed some light on what more is needed. Thanks to all!

Yo Red Goat! You in here?
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ok, Gentlemen. Here's what we have...

Heli, Tom357, Druncle; you're in. We could use one more rider if anybody's feeling like they're up for it. There will be a couple of 3 mile sections to roam with a Marshal on the back. They are roughly from the bridge over the highway at Ft Rich then approximately 3mi to the range. The second is roughly from there to the transition where the running portion of the race begins.

There will be two shifts of two riders.

The first shift is from 8a to 12p.

The second shift is from 12p to 4p.

The guys from the first shift should meet up in front of the Red Robin out toward Bartlett HS at roughly 7:30a to grab a Course Marshal and get instructions on where and how. They can then tell the second shift riders how it works at the noon change-out.

Now the question is who wants which shift? You an early riser and want the front stretch? You a complete snooze head and want to show up at the crack of noon?

You pick. Lemme know and we'll take it from there. Thanks again for volunteering. If there are a couple of beanie style helmets amongst the collective we could probably use them as Marshals like to point fingers and occasionally spout disciplinary counsel from the back of the bike and full face helmets aren't the best for that.

Anybody got something that'll work? Thanks again. :thumb
  10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will most likely not be in town to help but I have a large Bell Revolver flip up they can borrow. Lemme know.
  11. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    :evil

[​IMG]
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    The correct answer is no. Not if you're in your car.

However, if you're on your bike and you've got a Course Marshal on the back... it's your solemnly sworn duty and like it or not; you must. :1drink

Drunk Uncle, I've got you on the morning shift. Any other preferences or volunteers?
  13. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    On the course it's important to be able to recognize what a competitor looks like under any circumstances as Marshals may want to turn around at any point and go the other direction, etc. Example # 5 is for your personal edification. Please study hard and be familiar with the various perspectives you may be expected to recognize on race day.

[​IMG]
  14. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be there with a Nolan N42 helmet for the marshal. Now where is the High School you speak of. I have been Anchorage about one week.
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Perfect. Might take you up on that as we get closer. :thumb

Hmmm. Might be easier to meet you somewhere and lead you in, Drunk. Here's a map to Bartlett HS but the morning meeting will be right out in front of the Red Robin Restaurant which is around the corner from Barlett. The whole scene will be a boar's nest that morning and being on a bike will allow you to jump on the sidewalk and what have you to get around the throng of nervous women and coffee swigging spectators.

See the pink lettering on the map that shows where the Elmendorf AFB Regional Hospital is? Bartlett High School is just to the right of that.

Now, just underneath that Elmendorf AFB Reg Hospital locator is a label on the map that says "Oilwell Road"... and just underneath the two LL's in oilwell is a white dot. That white dot is an overhead view of the Red Robin Restaurant. We'll meet in the parking lot there before the race for a quick briefing from the race organizers on what do to and where to do it. Before the race I'll PM you my cell phone number so we get all the pre-race communication down without a hitch.

If you'd like we can meet up somewhere else that's familiar to you and I'll lead you in to the race area.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=anchorage,+ak&amp;aq=&amp;sll=61.230684,-149.737129&amp;sspn=0.005164,0.018175&amp;t=h&amp;gl=us&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Anchorage,+Alaska&amp;ll=61.232253,-149.726486&amp;spn=0.04132,0.145397&amp;z=13&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=anchorage,+ak&amp;aq=&amp;sll=61.230684,-149.737129&amp;sspn=0.005164,0.018175&amp;t=h&amp;gl=us&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Anchorage,+Alaska&amp;ll=61.232253,-149.726486&amp;spn=0.04132,0.145397&amp;z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I can come out the hospital gate and hook a right into that giant parking lot and meet up with you at the Red Robin, Yum!! I will see you there at 0730. And yes sidewalks and curbs are merely a bump in the road.
  17. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:

Sold! (just kidding). Anyway, I'm already volunteering at the GNT volunteer tent from 6:30-10:30 AM, but would be glad to also help out on the afternoon shift if you still need volunteers. I can bring along my GL500 which has a nice low seat height and a spare ladies L full face helmet. Have pillion experience, performed similar duties last year on the Bike for Women.

Let me know :D
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Not totally sure what we need at this point, Simestd, but appreciate the offer. Will update as we get a little closer... and I'll slide by the v-tent to say howdy! :thumb
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Volunteers please PM me your email addresses or other contact info. The race director would like to get in touch with you directly. Thanks :thumb
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    We're set, Gentlemen. Here's the lineup...

Heli, Tom327Cat, Drunk Uncle, Simestd, and me. I'll sweep the floors, be a general stupidvisor, fill-in if something goes completely sideways, etc. Whatever needs to be done. Schedule is:

Drunk Uncle and Heli are on for the 8a-12p stretch and Tom357 and Simestd are up for the 12p-4p stretch. We'll coordinate the changeout so that it's smooth and everybody knows roughly where to go and what to do. If that's too hard to do via PM or email I'll meet the second shift at a pre-arranged point and we'll ride out together to where the change takes place.

Thanks again for volunteering. I had a good time last time and am betting this'll be more of the same. :thumb

I'll get w/ the race director and confirm a meeting point for us all. I'm pretty sure he'll contact all of you via email or ph in the next day or so but that might only be a comfort thing on his end... I don't actually know. If you don't hear from him directly I'll get the info you need myself for sure.