Blue Ridge Camping

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by TaraRe, May 10, 2013.

1. TaraRe

TaraRe n00b

Oddometer:
    Good morning all!
    Planning a trip to Blue Ridge Parkway. My husband and I will be there the week of May 19-23. We're looking for a nice campground around the middle of the Parkway/(Doughton Rec Area). Quiet and nice showers are our main concerns. We're willing to get off the Parkway, but not too far away. Any suggestions? I've skimmed the camp site/space list, but there are so many and I didn't see anything for that area right off the bat.
    Thanks in adavance!
  2. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Willville, by Meadows of Dan, Mabry Mills, real nice place, it's a motorcycle campground :clap

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
  3. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another plus for Willville
  4. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    I hope you made it to Willville....before the rains came thru. Great campground. I'm sure that Will will light up a campfire tonight. Have fun!
  5. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Willville.
  6. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Some cabins and camping in Galax VA vicinity near Chestnut Creek, beautiful and quiet. Great riding area. Also look at park around Foster Falls VA in the Shot Tower vicinity. Both areas along New River Trail and New River State park.
    Great spots near Fries Va. also along New River, also up towards Ivanhoe.
    All of these are within 25 minutes of the BRP but far enough off that the crowds don't normally find them, quite family friendly and in the midst of some superior riding, only downside is that your friends have never heard about them. Gotta get off the parkway to find the better roads.

Nice little campground along BRP at Fancy Gap, near Rangers station, about 5 miles from BRP music center. Utts is on Hwy 52 in Fancy Gap. Also a campground on Chances Creek Rd - even if you don't camp there check out the road.
  7. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    Yep, Willville.

The Poor Farmers Market in Meadows of Dan has good food.
  8. SquirrelyGrl

SquirrelyGrl Squirrely Girl

Oddometer:
    Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
    :lurk

Good info for future trips!
    Hope you guys post some pics and happy riding!
  9. TaraRe

TaraRe n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! We will definitely post pics.
  10. xKLR_John

xKLR_John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doughton is closed.

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/article_63faeb3c-b99f-11e2-90f1-0019bb30f31a.html

11. TaraRe

TaraRe n00b

Oddometer:
    Well we ended up at Miller's Campground. It's located around MP 247, just around the corner from Wild Woody's. Willville looks great, but it was just a tad too far north for our purposes. Miller's was exactly what we were looking for. Quiet and they have excellent shower facilities. Thanks for every bodies input and, if we end up going north next trip, we'll definitely hit up Willville.
  12. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    You said it man Farmers Market! Spent the weekend on the BRP with my Dad. We stayed at Fancy Gap Cabins. Headed down and ate dinner there it was crazy good. $4.99 for a huge fried chicken meal! :clap Probably the best mashed potatoes I have ever encountered.