Garmin 62stc...what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Bultaco206, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving on a trip around Lake Superior tomorrow and wanted to download Cannonshot's GPX file as found here on ADV Rider. I've downloaded it to my Mac, opened it in Basecamp, and everything is there on my screen. I let it upload (reading map) and it's on my computer.

I've tried exporting it to my device more times than I can count and nothing transfers.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone walk me through this?
  2. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I'm highlighting the folder that contains the tracks and waypoints and sending them to my device. The transfer is instant and says they were sent...all 995 of them. But none show up on the unit.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't use Basecamp but assuming they went. All tracks downloaded to 62/78 default off, you must turn each one on one at a time. Another flaw with the 62/78 over the 60/76.

You may want to look at my 62/78 setup istructions on DualSportWest.com It makes using them for tracks much easier.
  4. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Nothing has transferred from my Mac to the unit. It says they have, but nothing made it.
  5. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to be more specific, do none of them show up on the gps's display or none of the track names show up in 'Track Manager' in the gps?

When a *.gpx file gets exported using BC or copied to the gps, the file needs to reside in the 'Garmin/GPX' directory on either the uSD card or in the 'Garmin/GPX' directory in the units internal memory. Yes...you can place the file in one of two possible locations. Once the file is placed there, you can use 'Track Manager' to display a specific track on the gps's display.

When you 'Export' a list from BC to the gps, the file will take the list name with an .gpx file extension.
  6. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the file to my Mac, opened Basecamp, opened the file in Finder, and it opens itself within Basecamp.

I renamed the file and it shows in the My Computer section of the software with all 995 waypoints and such listed below. Then when I transfer it to my device it goes through the motions and tells me everything transferred.

But no waypoints or tracks show up on my device.

I'm leaving right now. I've spent 4 hours on this last night and overnight. A friend downloaded the same file and everything worked on his device. On the phone last night he couldn't figure out what's wrong, either.

Guess I will go without it. Paper maps it is.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    From post above: "You need to be more specific, do none of them show up on the gps's display or none of the track names show up in 'Track Manager' in the gps?"

If you answer questions, you may get more help.
  8. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I did a hard reset of the unit and got the tracks and waypoints to transfer. They are visible. But I cannot navigate...I press GO and nothing happens.

I finished my Lake Superior trip old school, with a map. :lol3
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they all show on map, you are set to ride. If you were really following maps, you should have noticed that the big black arrow (you) was always following the track on your GPS.

Very few people "Navagate" tracks. Just follow them. We have hundreds of riders follow Dual Sport Event tracks in District 37 and none of them Navagate them.
  10. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I understand that. But I can load a waypoint that I wish to navigate to and nothing happens.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really have to be more specific for any one to help you.

You download a waypoint.
    You push "Find", " Move to Waypoint, "Enter" move to the waypoint in question, "Enter", "GO", move to "Direct or another type", "Enter" and nothing happens?
  12. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Correct. Something has changed.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you use "Direct", it doesn't jump to map page and show a pink line from where you are to the waypoint?
  14. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    No. When I choose a waypoint, and it prompts me to hit "GO" nothing happens. It's just goes back to the map screen with no mileage to the waypoint or any arrowed directions.