The Brick....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ztaj, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Well. Here it is.
    [​IMG]

I'm not quite sure where to start....but here goes.

I'd been eyeing up this bike for the past couple of months every time I went to work, so long as it was light enough :evil It had sat under a tree by the driveway while the owner, a foreign worker, did other things. I'd talked to him briefly about it and got the low down on what was wrong with it. I offered to take a look at it for him but he didn't seem interested.
    I decided to make an offer (as he didn't appear to be doing anything with it) equivalent to about 120 pies :D He accepted :eek1
    After mucking about with it in the shade of the tree and having no joy I loaded it onto the ute for the trip home, and broke one of my good jandels in the process :huh

At home...
    [​IMG]

I put the charger on it, relieved it of some excess weight and went to work giving it an oil change, cleaning the starter button and checking connections ( man there's some excess wiring on this thing :eek1 ) I put the jumper leads on it, gave it a sniff of some "start ya bastard" and pushed the button..... several times :evil

[​IMG]

It eventually started and smoked like a steam train for a bit, probably from being flooded, and I went for a hoon down the drive and back and parked it in the lock up connected to the charger. Still not convinced it was worth the purchase price :deal

Anyway... I got home this afternoon, and wheeled it out of the lock up, I'm sure the 800 snorted when I bypased it, I'll have to take that for a ride soon, just to keep it happy, and the Buell that's in there sniggered too, I'm sure of it.
    It started with no hesitation this time, and there was no smoke. I put on my old leather jacket (haven't worn that in a long time) and went for a cruise round the back roads of Upper and Lower Moutere.

[​IMG]

This was starting to bug me a little
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what the red light means, is it...
    A: No oil ? nah checked that
    B: No headlight ? Could be, it doesn't work yet :D
    C: No speedo ? See above
    D: Something else ? Who knows, I'll have to do some research

So there you have it. I stared at it a bit when I got home still undecided whether I'll keep it and do something about personalizing it, or tidy it up and move it on.
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Smoke...they all do that. A common problem when you leave a K Bike on sidestand that sometimes the oil seeps past the rings and start up is a cloudy affair. It will do it when the Harley guys or a girl you are trying to impress is looking at you.
    The warning light is for the brakes. When you start it the light comes on and goes off after depressing the rear/squeezing the front brake lever. If it does not go out check the double filament bulb (remove the assembly with the knobs accessed through the tail cowl) or the switches on the levers.

Don't know how expensive a pie is but it sounds like a good deal.
    That motor is just broken in.
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ok I may have been a bit harsh before - in its raw state there is something Matrix about it.

Leather feels good
  4. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    looks so much better without the fairing.

wouldn't need much to finish the 'look'

do they ride like a modern bike or feel old school?

call it Max
  5. Oscar

Oscar Constant Antagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a great accessory for the brick: the rego plate "K100".

Make me an offer...

I might also have an original brochure for it - what year is it?
  6. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    I think the opposite :D That fairing is so disgusting it is awesome!

You selling the panniers :ear :p

Actually..:evil..how much for the bike...? :lol3 (j/k)
  7. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    I think it looks better without it too. It rides like.... well..... a brick :evil I was quite underwhelmed.

That would mean I'd have to register it :evil I'll have a think about it though, I may get caught up in a buying frenzy and not be able to help myself.
    I think it's an 87

I may be tempted to part with the panniers and racks, they'd just look all sorts of wrong on the 800. I'm sure you could "adapt" them to fit the 3fiddy :D
  8. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Cool, that's just the sort of info I need :deal Rear bulb is blown, I thought I had a spare lurking in a drawer, but I can't find it.
    It had been sitting on the side stand for a couple of months and the stand had sunk into the ground a bit too. There was a bit of oil leaking out of the left hand side gearbox area too, it was a bit hard to tell exactly where from, which has stopped now. No smoke on start up anymore :D
    Pies range in price from $1.80 :puke1 to about $7 for a gourmet one :dg. I based my purchase price on a middle of the pack one, mince and cheese :D

Yes... allow me to retort to the nasty txt....
    It is ugly in an 80's kinda way.... however, the 80's were cool in their own way, remember these ?
    [​IMG]

And these guys ?
    [​IMG]

We had these...
    [​IMG]

and there was this guy :evil
    [​IMG]

Ahhhhh good times :rofl And I had a mk 4 Cortina, not a bad car for a ford.
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    not as cool as my 82 SLE Torana (factory 202 which I stuck a yellaterra head, mild cam etc on) - it was a massive step up from all the FB,EK,EJ,EH,HK,HQ,LH holdens I had before it
  10. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hahaha looks like we need to break out the bender and welder :clap

I reckon this bike has the potential to be all sorts of cool and it definitely looks better naked IMO.
    Maybe Taz could also adapt the fairing onto the DR seeing as he likes it so much. :lol3
  11. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    I recall bouncing off a couple of Yellow buses and into the back of a line of cars at the lights on Custom/Fanshaw st's in a mates fathers one of those, back in the day, I don't think he would've been popular at home for a while. I gapped it down to the ferry to get home and left him to it.

Back to the bike....

Headlight now works :clap
    New indicators will be here shortly :clap
    There is a couple of wires poking out of the back of the dash, 1 red, 1 black with male bullet connectors, anybody have any idea what they're for? And where can I get a wiring diagram online ?
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    WWWmotobrick.com. Everything you wanted to know about these machines.
    Clutch pushrod shaft goes through the center of the tranny and I would be wondering if it is not leaking there.
    Rear spline lube on the driveshaft would be my first maintenance after a fluid change. A known issue that takes only a few minutes. To haul the final drive.... Shock bolt, 4 bolts to the swingarm and carefully pry out the speedo sensor. Slides right off.
  13. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Will have a chat about em at some stage them :D

My headlight is rectangle so I couldn't pull it off the same =( (phew) haha
  14. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really need to ride a brick a good few hundred km's at once to get it. Put it in top gear and go, and go, and go, and go.... you get the idea
  15. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I found some brick pics that I took at the last Nelson beach races.
    Seemed to be doing alright on sand....over run the turns by about half a kilometer though.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  16. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    :clap I got the side covers and top box for it on saturday.... put them with the bike today. I'm still underwhelmed :huh At least it was still where I left it.
    I guess I will have to go for a looooong ride Eddie, after greasing the spline and changing oil in the diff (:D) & gearbox. Maybe Westport for lunch when it stops raining
  17. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cafe brick :D
    [​IMG]
  19. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

Oh yea, thats nice. make it like that James, but put mudguards on it. a bike needs mudguards:deal
  20. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    what he said

get your shit together James and make it happen