Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tricepilot, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bienvendio John - I'm glad guys our age aren't sitting around Mack's Bingo Parlor talking about our blood pressure medicines! :freaky

My hermanito SR is getting his ride photos sorted out today and tomorrow, but once he does, we'll unleash the meat of this story in photo format.
  3. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I too am a 50+ rider and I do more technical riding than speed. Sand and rocks (baby head up to car hood size)...well that's all I have here in central Texas hill country so no problem there. No rain....no mud ! ! ! :lol3 I have ridden in the mud but a heavy bike is even heavier in the mud. I currenty ride a 1150 GSA but I am looking at the KTM 1190 R when it gets here because the BMW has gotten too heavy for my 50 year old body. I grew up on cross country and hare scrambles but that was many, many years ago, so I to would have to train a bunch to get the stamina up to ride long mountain runs.:eek1
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I'm in Northeast San Antonio so we're practically in the same neck of the woods :freaky

If I hadn't physicaly prepped for this in the manner described, I would have died. SR is 16 years younger than I so no bid deal for him. To me, this event was like the physical stress of running a marathon (which I've done - once :lol3)
  5. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigdave, you wouldn't want to do this route on a big bike. With pressured down full knobbies and no luggage you might be able to do it as a personal challenge or on a bet, but a small full dirt bike would be way more fun. Maybe after Tricepilot finishes the RR you will get a better feel for the terrain.

I just got my Smugmug account setup, so here is my first photo.
    [​IMG]
    Could you do it on a big bike? possibly, should you, NO.:D This is not the place to bring to wrong tool for the job. These guys had to drag over several fallen tree trunks to get the golf carts across this section. That kind of stuff really wears a guy out down in the humid tropical heat.
  6. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trice. Good write-up on the bike. You may recall we had a thread some time ago about bike size and I raved about the 250cc I ride, a low-tech Honda street bike with dual-purpose tires. I think a couple of guys laughed at me :D I'm just shy of 5'8" and also over 50. Fitness guy too, but not CrossFit. No! :huh. For my rides to Mexico in order for me to do mostly street but get out to locations on dirt roads (like the roads around Parras, etc.) you can see how my selection of bike was shaped. If I was taller, I would have selected just like you did, a DRZ 400 kitted out with adventure farkles.
  7. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    My problem is I'm 6'8" and 300 lbs so most of the 250 and 400 cc bikes don't have the suspension I need. The 450's do better on the suspension side but the bike is still small and cramped for long hauls for a guy my size. That's why I hope I can do this type of ride on a KTM 1190 R. Trice, I'm about 200 miles north of you in the hill country, mostly limestone hills and cactus. Rocks are the best things grown in the fields up here :lol3. I'll get my camera out and take a picture of the land I ride my BMW 1150 GSA on.
  8. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    The KTM 690 R comes in at 305 pounds dry and 320 wet according to sources on the internet. That's a whole pound heavier than the published wet weight on a drz (and may have cured my desire to own another drz).

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  9. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Can't make me read this thread. Nope. Not gonna look. Ain't gonna happen. Ever. Not me. Uh-uh.

:huh

Edited . To protect the children.

Why'd I look?
  10. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Ok.....:lurk
  11. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff guys!

Can't wait for the RR.

Sounds like a fun ride for sure.

When I crossed the mountains SR was the only guy who said "go for it". Everybody from tourists, people back home, Mexicans, etc. All said no. Sooo glad I took his advice!
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Not too late to join me for my next excursion Down South. Meet me at my
    place. We clutch out at dawn. :D
  13. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
  14. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might beat me there.....I looked at the map this morning and it showed about the same travel time. However I'm goning to take the fun route.....the back way over the hills from Saltillo.:clap
    See you tomorrow :evil
  15. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Hasta pronto!
  17. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trice,
    ....takin' notes.....:deal :ear
  18. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea! Looking forward to reading this one.
  19. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I just found this, had my hands full the last few days.
    I always in joy a good tricepilot ride report:clap
    Bring it on...:freaky
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    This is one of the sections I mentioned earlier.

Of note is the fact that SR took this pic after the ATV boys had their way with "engineering" the landslide.

The landslide, BTW, caused a great many of the ATVs to turn around and head back upmountain to catch the paved Espinazo to Mazatlán.

Only a downhill section of about 200m, but photos don't do justice to landscapes/gnarly stuff.

KEY POINT:

If the ATV boys can band together to get each other through tough sections, so, can the moto boys.

And we did.

Pushing, helping, ghost riding, river crossings. It took a group effort to bridge the gap, to speak.

The section in this photo was one of the toughest.

I hired a consulting firm/helicoper/moving company to get my (SRs) DRZ down this stretch.

Full Disclosure: Hector, SRs friend, took the DRZ through this section for me.

If I had tried it, I would have been on my butt with a broken DRZ and a possible broken me.

Neither of which me, SR, or anyone else wanted in the Sierra.

Just downhill from this shot, both SR and Hector dumped their bikes trying to get through a rocky gap.

If you do this ride in 2014, be prepared to go down. Even if you are Enduro Champ of the World.