Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, that is funny! You're right though, cards with scooters on the front ARE hard to find. You're lucky to have a scooter babe (Joan sounds like an amazing woman).

Related to your other comments, you have a dock? Attached to your house? I forgot you have a home base (besides the fifth wheel). Hopefully the rest of the work on your place goes well so you can get out there and scoot. Enjoy.

Rob
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob,

Our house in south Texas is on an island. There are canals cut in the island, so it is a great place to keep a boat (the reason we bought here). The old dock was still serviceable; we are replacing it with a similar design, but with composite planking - no staining, no sealing. Pretty much just hose it off once in a while.

While the water activities are great here, it isn't the best for riding. Not much in the way of fun twisties or hills. Can't have it all.

Best wishes,
    Jim
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:

Congrats on the new scooter!

I really like the dash. And the headlights.

I think Honda improved the PCX in the right areas without taking away what made it a great scooter in the first place.
  4. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have the fiche handy for the '15, but that scratched fairing panel on the '13 is only about $40, I believe, prepainted. I don't know that I'd bother messing with it, but if you wanted to repair it, should be cheap.

Looked up the muffler protector for you, too. Around $9, if you even wanted to bother replacing it.
  5. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inside the underseat storage is a sticker saying max weight 221lbs. Is that for the peoplebsat on the bike or storage?
  6. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the JerryH is not allowed sticker.
  7. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol. Ok thats the scooters weight capacity, the storage area is 22lbs.

Does anyone had 2015 or older service manual on pdf?

How much have people been paying for the initial service and what is included?

I can't see brake fluid in the cbs reservoir clearly.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Since we left the PNW in September, we haven't had much time to ride the scoots. Fueling up today, the Blonde got 106 mpg on her PCX, I got 98 mpg on mine. In regards to the discussion for mileage on this thread and others, I notice my fuel mileage drops when I spend more time over about 45 mph. City traffic, including stop and go, doesn't seem to affect these scoots as much as running at speed.

Kinda highlights where this scoot is happiest. I had mentioned on the PCX vs the new Yamaha 155 thread that a couple mph top end on either scoot is pretty insignificant. Mine goes 67 mph before it comes up against the rev limiter - doesn't mean it is comfortable spending any time at that speed.

Captain Jim
  9. kYLEMtnCRUZr

kYLEMtnCRUZr Got Singletrack?

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what cruising rpm is at 55? Instead of starting another "I don't get how CVT works" threads...

So in order to hit 55, the engine is probably around 7000-8000 rpm and it stays there or does it decrease once 55 is achieved?

Or does 45 always equal 7000rpm, 55 8000, 65 9000 for example.

Thanks!
  10. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't remember which model/year pcx you have?
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    2013 PCX 150s.
  12. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well some explanation is going to be required anyway and since I don't have a PCX, I'll have to use my Reflex as an example.
    Of course speed and RPMs are going to be different for the PCX, but the principals will be the same. :deal

On the Reflex, the variator tops out at about 55 mph so any further speed comes directly as a result of any rpm increase, the variator
    can do nothing more to help speed. Below about 55 mph, the variator has some play and so can have differing rpms for a given speed
    depending on what may going on (accelerating, deccelerating or moving steadily) Again, this will likely be different for the PCX. But in
    general, the rpms can vary up and down until a stable speed is reached. This also depends on how you are using the throttle.

Once at a steady state, the rpms will be whatever they are for that angle of road and amount of load on the bike. And that also depends
    to a small degree how much wear is on the drive belt. A (serviceable) belt with some wear will require just a little more rpms to
    maintain a speed than a new belt would for the same conditions.

So for more exact numbers, that is going to depend on how things are for you and you'll just have to experiment to find your numbers.
    Otherwise others may give info that is generalizations more particular to them.
  13. kYLEMtnCRUZr

kYLEMtnCRUZr Got Singletrack?

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. Helps me out a lot. I have 5 miles of freeway commute with no backroad options, the other 15 miles are backroads so I will have to think about it. Or commit to a CRF230L to 150 swap and rake in 150 mpg :) would be some wrenching though!
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    We've been getting work done on the house since we've been back. They're getting close to being done, but today there was nothing being constructed or de-constructed - time to get a scooter ride in!! :clap

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/10/no-work-being-done-lets-scoot.html

And finally getting a chance to put something on the "scooter tag" thread here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the first we've seen other PCXes around here!

Captain Jim
  15. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put 121 miles on the PCX this morning just to get a photo tag!

[​IMG]

The low fuel thingy flashed for the last 10 miles but she kept purring. :clap
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best not to run on fumes to prolong the life of your fuel pump.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    I was running some errands today with the scoot. On the island where we live, many people get around by golf cart. No, I haven't been able to get into that. A friend of ours, who has a Harley V-Rod, pulled up beside me in his golf cart and said, "When you're ready to get rid of those, let me know; I'd like to buy 'em."

"When we're ready to get rid of them? I asked. "You mean, after we die?!!"

He said, "No, when you're ready to move up to something bigger."

"What makes you think we want anything bigger? I was riding Harleys when you were still pooping in your diaper." (He is quite a bit younger than I am.)

"I've seen you two riding around on those. I want to get my wife a Sportster, but thought it might be better to start with something smaller."

"If you get her one of these, she won't want a Sportster. Seriously. I've had a couple Sportsters. Too many Harley guys think that is a good woman's bike because it weighs less, but even the SuperLow is about 550 pounds and carries a good deal of that weight up high. Your wife is about 5 feet tall and weighs maybe 100 pounds soaking wet..."

We talked a bit more. I suggested she take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class... he said he would teach her. (Insert whistle followed by explosion here) :evil

I won't be selling our PCXes anytime soon. :D

Jim
  18. syncro87

syncro87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might suggest a used Buell Blast for his wife. My wife learned to ride on one. They are a bit rough around the edges, but are well balanced and easy to learn on. Belt drive. You can buy a good one with decent miles, learn on it, then sell it for about what you paid for it. $2k or less, easy. The other benefit is that she learns to shift gears properly before ending up on a twist and go. Personally, I think it's good to learn to shift a manual when you learn to ride a motorcycle.

The Blast gets a bad rap, totally undeserved in my experience. A great starter bike. The tank and body bits are plastic, too, if you drop it, so cheap to fix with eBay parts if you had to.

Honestly, aside from having to shift, a Blast with a rack and top case would be a reasonable competitor for my PCX around town.

Another great learning bike is a DR200SE. Pricier than the Blast, used, though, and harder to come by.
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know I've never understood that "teach" a significant other or friend to do anything from skiing to riding a motorcycle. Good way to ruin a relationship IMHO.

BTW, isn't your island in Texas? Texas now mandates MSF course for anyone who isn't grandfathered in to get a motorcycle license. So unless she's had a motorcycle license for over 4 years she won't be getting one without taking the MSF course.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Oh... a license. You haven't been to south Texas, have you? Seems like a LOT of people around here think that license and insurance thing is way overrated. :huh

Just for full disclosure: I did teach my wife to ride a motorcycle. Well, she was 16 at the time, and my girlfriend. I knew it was love, 'cause I trusted her on my Triumph Bonneville... oh, that was a LONG, LONG time ago. :lol3

Jim