Burning Man 2011: Gratuitous Debaucherous Escapism

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JayhooRay, Mar 11, 2012.

1. D-Pow

D-Pow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap Well said.
  2. chomorro

chomorro n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you have to wear a gas mask during the actual burning ceremonies?? I have heard that you can get instant lung cancer from the random mixture of things getting burned. :huh
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lame. Many months to complete the whole work and nothing to show for it. Scholarship wasted. Probably why your life keeps turning out the way it does. :bore It could be better. Nobody cares.
  4. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post moar Sparkle Ponies.
    :deal
    Thanx.
  5. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Sparrowhawk,
    I hope your a friend of JayhooRay and just giving him s%^t. Otherwise, it's his RR or whatever, while the sparkle ponies are great, life exists and things get in the way! You can say what you want on an open forum to some extent, but I feel it's bad form to criticize someones life, education, or attempt at sharing something that is really cool, no matter how slow the story unfolds!
    Just my two cents!
  6. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    i agree 100%!
  7. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming Sparrowhawk is his ex-girlfriend guys.
  8. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Negative Ghostrider. Unless he has multiple former girlfriends here, his former would be W.C. Angel.:deal
  9. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. I messed that one up. Serves me right for not going back and double checking the handle of the person who made the previous negative posts on this thread. I was figuring that was a re-visit by the vindictive ex-girlfriend--but it turns out he has one of those and his own troll. :eek1
  10. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Looking at the location of the newer special friend I'd guess that this person too knows the OP IRL.
  11. JayhooRay

JayhooRay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chapter Four: A wedding.

2011 was special. Well, they are all special I guess, but this was a wedding year. As much as I’m tempted to create a photo biography of the lucky couple, I will mostly restrain myself for their privacy. I’m not really sure they would care actually.

[​IMG]

Burning Man actually has a reputation for destroying more relationships then it cements. Sure, there are the amped up hook-ups that seem to be magical meetings of soul mates. Those tend to fizzle out after a few months back in the “default” world. Some of them make it. And there are plenty of sweethearts that get into the world where things you never dreamed of are true and a few too many fantasies can become reality and cocktails are ubiquitous and clothing is somehow an enhancement of nudity. Yeah plenty of couples come apart in that environment. And not in the ways you might think where people just want to bone other people. That’s there, but mostly it has a lot more to do with having a blank canvas as large as you could possibly want, surrounded by other artists of life working out their dreams and cheering you on to live yours, and if you are bound to someone and your dreams don’t synchronize with theirs, or you can’t work out how to fly free but hold each other, or you suddenly find them casting judging looks and saying denigrating words about the very embodiment of something you did not until this moment realize was a vibrant part of your soul, well its hard to come back from that.
    And then there are those years where people who have their soul mate meet their other soul mate. And then a few years where people discover that their soul mate has been in camp this whole time they’ve just been too busy goofing around. Well, so, Coach and Kitty probably cover that whole spectrum. Good years, bad years, relationship here, relationship there. It was probably all about the sex at first and then some folks found themselves redeemed and finally getting the best they deserved out of life. And all that with grey hair in the goatee.

So one of our favorite days is Go Big Friday. And it started to go big with a wedding. Weddings were a theme this year. We were a little more service oriented this year and so a number of us volunteered to do a few weddings as we have a six foot tall black woman in camp who can be nice for up to twenty minutes at a time and can sign wedding licenses in the state of Nevada. At one wedding the poor couple didn’t really seem to know what they wanted. I couldn’t stand it, stepped in to arrange the wedding party, set photographers up for good angles, and bam, I was a wedding fluffer. At Coach and Kitty’s wedding I got a wee sloppy in my fluffing thanks to all the scotch and a long day of skipping around flirting with Brits and attending cocktail parties and random bars out it the middle of no where.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone look familiar in that picture?

Yes, these ladies...NOT brits, just not very friendly Californians. Whatever...

[​IMG]

But my small amount of work turned out. For example, notice how the alter is lined up with the tire tracks as the sparkle ponies emerge from the horizon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was the year we became a family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. basepc

basepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would just like to keep this thread current so that someone else can stumble upon a sparkle pony like I did a while back...they are truly things of beauty.
  13. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    chapter 5? :confused:confused
  14. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slow.........

But good!
  15. Texastater

Texastater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That it?
  16. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    THAT is never quite IT
  17. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. braq attack

braq attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    uuuuuuugh! this thread died! :baldy:baldy:baldy
  19. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Soooooo, back to the playa this year?

We should start an ADV camp. There are at least 30 of us......
  20. JayhooRay

JayhooRay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be pretty rad...we'd need support vehicles if we were going to go down on two wheels...that's a lot of water to balance!

I'll be camping with Surly again and so far it looks like The Surly Bird will be running. We'll be at 3:45 and Consumer.

I'll be driving down for the first time in a few years towing a trailer. I'm giving my ("new") girlfriend's idea of civilized camping a go this year...she did a trip to Baja with me on the Dakar last year so I can't complain...it involves air conditioning. And, if all goes well, the Dakar will be sold to an inmate from MO by next weekend...the Suzuki GSR650 isn't quite ready for the run down yet...don't know if it ever will be...so its always good to roll with changes with a good attitude and make the best of it.

So, about the demise of the thread. Well, obviously there was a little controversy. That doesn't really bother me much but I really do not like to be straight up mean...even if other people are really defining the field of conflict.
    There was only one chapter left to go and it involved minimal eye candy. The whole thing basically stopped being much fun and the way it was set up it just didn't feel very classy at all to throw down the last set of pics. I was also busy as hell with a new job so I just let it sit. Maybe someday it will feel like a work to be finished.

Maybe if my woman doesn't mind so much...I'll throw in a few pics from this year just to say sorry...or if I can find motos out there. Last year we were coming back home through the area as people were leaving the festival. I got a sick picture of a Ducati from Canada all playa covered.

[​IMG]

We actually rode out to the main gate on the night of the burn and got turned away...at least I was on the playa...and we watched the fireworks from the road! We camped pretty near by because it was super late...nice place to wake up in the morning.

[​IMG]

The week of Burningman looked more like this for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll write up that RR someday this winter...I bet it won't get as many hits as this one. :rofl