GS vs KLR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by johnlt, Dec 15, 2003.

1. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am considering getting an additional bike to ride in the Arizona area. I'll be riding more than 50% on the dirt roads, some just gravel but some pretty bad but not really as bad as "jeep" trails. The candidates are a 92 airhead GS in great shape or a KLR650. My take is that the GS is better and more comfortable on good roads but the KLR would be better on the "bad" roads. I'd appreciate comments from people who are familiar with both. Thanks
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Expand your horizon- get a TransAlp. Better off road than the GS and damn close on road: better than the KLR on road and damn close off. Also, way cooler than both :-)

But if you limit yourself to just those two, I'd go with the KLR because out there I'd want better of road performance.

regards,
  3. clang

clang Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer:
    I have a '92 R100GS and just recently sold my KLR. Both are great bikes, and well suited for your described purpouse. Personally, I prefer the GS (obviously, since it's the one I kept). It is, however, bigger and heavier. I found that I could ride the GS anywhere I took the KLR. The GS was definitely a nicer ride getting there. It has more torque and HP too.

Both bikes stock suspension need help. Progressive springs in the front make a big difference on both bikes. A WP or similar rear on the GS also makes a noticable difference. The KLR really needs Stainless brake lines to cure the spongy brake thing it has going on and a fork brace too.

All my non pavement riding consists of fire, logging and forest access roads. Nothing too technical, but some places you could not pass in a cage w/o 4-wheel drive. If I was going to ride anywhere I couldn't ride the GS, I would probably not get a KLR for it. Maybe a KTM or Suzuki DRS

I think ultimately you would be happy with either bike.

Hope that helps :freaky
  4. cgr

cgr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an airhead GS and had a Transalp for 2 years. The Transalp certainly wasn't any slower than my GS. I found the stock seat on the GS to be much better than on the Transalps(only an issue after 4 or 5 hours) - but the biggest difference is that the center of gravity on the GS is much lower than the Transalp. A transalp with a full of gas and leaning over can be tough to stop. I never dropped mine but the prior owner did.

I have ridden both on dirt roads and never had any problems. Both bikes were reliable. I like having tubeless tires that can be repaired more easily in the field than tubed tires.

I think that you could be happy with any of your choices - unless you plan to explore more difficult terrain or carry a passenger more frequently. Then one of them may have an advantage.
  5. cbmwgs

cbmwgs Retired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my 97 KRL 650 to buy a 88 R100GSPD. The PD has better road manners, and is way more comfortable. I can do anything on the PD that I would do on the KLR.
    The PD will hold its value way longer than the KLR.

I would buy the GS.
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Considering your statement that indicates 50% off road and that you anticipate riding some pretty rough roads, I would say your only choice of the two offered is the KLR. It will give you much better performance off road, easier to handle and if you do fall it will be easier to pick-up and less expensive to repair. Understand that any on-road riding you do will be less satisfactory than the GS, that is the trade off.
  7. 5thTry

5thTry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm fortunate to have both KLR 650 & 1150 Adventure, and I love 'em both. I agree with Gizmo that on really rough roads it's the KLR you'd want. These days I consider the KLR my short-range/rough road bike. Now that I have the Adventure I find myself taking much longer trips on gravel & pavement and the KLR is collecting more garage dust than road dust.
  8. jlundin

jlundin Globe-Stomper

Oddometer:
    Assuming you have a good road bike for the long hauls, I recommend a DR650SE if you really want to explore some bad roads. Comfortable, reliable, good-performance, and a hoot to ride. It'll take you into whatever mess you throw at it.
    You can find them for $2000-$3000 in great shape.

But get the airhead too, just to have it!
  9. edouble

edouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 04 Adv and a 89 KLR. Rode the KLR in the LA-Barstow-Vegas over thanksgiving. It was awesome and there were a few guys there who rode thier GSs.... The GSs made it but at a very slow pace due to the size and weight of them. One guy washed out in the riverbed and smashed his right side cylinder head as well as drove the head bolt through the case... Had to JB weld it in the field. I don't want to know what his repair bill was. KLR: Light weight, reliable, cheap if dropped, and you can beat the crap out of them and not think twice. As others have mentioned the KLR needs some suspension work but the cost of a used KLR and suspesion mods will be less than a one time drop of the GS.

Best of luck.
  10. clang

Oddometer:
    Be careful comparing the KLR, the Airhead GS and the Oilhead GS. I see some people are comparing their Oilheads and their KLRs. The Oilhead and Airhead GSs are as different as the Airhead GS and the KLR. The GS you are looking at is probably exactly like mine. Be warned though, there are many, many mods out there for them - it's an addiction, an expensive one:):

Same with the KLR, the initial investment is probably just a little less expensive.

BTW, if you have a line on an airhead GS that is in good condition that you don't want, pass it on. I know a couple of people that might

:ear
  11. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    Nope... I respectfully disagree. I was side-by-side (in CA & Nevada desert and the KTM's SHINED in the sand... the GS's were "sinkers" in the soft sand and a LOT of work to "float" for hours on end. If you intend to be AZ desert, be focused on weight! (BTW- the bits and pieces cost a LOT to replace and all but one GS was badly "busted" in this ride L.A. --> Barstow --> Vegas

[​IMG]
  12. edouble

edouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Annie; I just finished reading your thread. I too have a airhead street (R750/6) restored to stock and great for running around town and a new RT for the long distance stuff and also a Suz DR for "real dirt" so that why my focus is on dirt roads. Thanks again
  14. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    PANSIES!!!!!

I'll take my GS (What's left of it) ANYWHERE you can take a KLR.

Zilla
  15. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ten years on an 88 bumblebee, two years on a KLR...on dirt roads--ROADS--the KLR comes out ahead, well ahead, mostly because it's a hunnert pounds lighter and it stays composed.

yeah yeah yeah, you can take bike y anyplace some other guy can take bike x. So what? On a dirt road, the KLR is more fun than the airhead GS. Easier. Comfier. Cheaper. KLR is cheap junk; if you just want to ride and enjoy, the KLR is hard to beat.

KLR doesn't need stainless lines, though they will doubtless help, especially in high temps. Rear more than front, from my experience. Galfer pads and good bleeding make a big difference. RaceTech emulators do more better than changing springs. Lowering the bike makes it better on tar and easier to ride on dirt roads--ROADS--as long as you're not challenging the susp with too big a bump. Emulators and lowering obviate a fork brace.

As the roads get worse, a DR650 will start looking better, I'll bet. KLR would get the nod as the load gets bigger, in weight or size, or as a pillion shows up. And the slower you go, the less it matters what bike you're on. Jeez, you gotta buncha bikes. Whatsamatta wit the DR for dirt roads? Hell, /6 on a dirt ROAD works damn good.
  16. clang

Oddometer:
    Red,

The Oilhead GS are like apples and oranges with the Airheads. The failure photo you attached is an Oilhead. I own both and would agree, that I would purchase a KLR over an oilhead for mostly dirt riding. Not so with the airhead. I owned both at the same time and rode both in the same locations. The GS is heavier, but it is also more poweful.

I ride my Airhead GS places I am not comfortable (yet) taking my Oilhead GS, and as a result would probably purchase a KLR over an Oilhead GS for that type of riding, but I would buy the Airhead over the KLR
    :):
  17. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Stephen I think most of the input has convinced me that the KLR is probably best. You're right, I could probably use the /6 for the better dirt roads but I just finished restoring it to showroom stock and I hate to treat it like that. This is the second time I owned the /6. The first time I put on 50K with fairing and stuff over 20 years ago so it is somewhat nostalgic. Anyway folks, thanks for your input.
  18. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    Oil heads vs. airheads - Yep I agree, but the used airheads (in good condition) cost as much as a used oil head (well sort of) Perhaps the new (spring?) R1200 GS that is reported to be 80-90 lbs lighter! :evil
  19. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a DAMN good answer. Frankly, I suspected as much. The R75/6 might be the best airhead made, in many ways. Truly "balanced performance".

Oh one more thing...unless you light your Cohibas with twennydollarbills, a used KLR is the way to go. And I'm not sayin' that just because I'm about ready to sell mine...really.
  20. edouble

edouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John,

If you're interested, I'm interested in selling my '89 650. I live in Manassas, Va now and it won't get much use around here.