Durango BMW shop

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by DADODIRT, Oct 9, 2006.

1. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw an add for Basin Motor Works on Hwy 160 east of Durango in the BMW ON. Anyone know anything about them? Do they stock parts, or is it just service. How is the service (price/quality)?

They are about the same distance as Grand Junction for me and I am just curious.

Fatchance-you ride a GS. Anything to say....
  2. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Dado:

A few years ago, there used to be a little dirt bike shop in Ridgway that did repairs and even overhauls of BMW's. Can't recall the name but it was a few blocks north of the main drag through the old part of Ridgway. Sort of near the school. Was out there and a friend's bike needed some parts and we took the bike there. The guy was great. He used to be a hillclimber.

Just a thought.

T.
  3. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    Yeah-
    Chuck Lee's Ridgway Motorsports. Chuck is a great mechanic and will always go out of his way to help. I throw as much work his way as I can.
    Just curious about the Durango shop, though....
  4. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    A fellow named Harry Hill opened that shop about a year ago. He is a nice fellow and a good mechanic. His background was mostly airheads over a long time frame, but I've had him do some work on FatWife's F650 and put some brake pads on my 1150GS. He is capable and does good work on the whole BMW line. Last summer, an ADVRider passing through Durango had problem with his airhead GS (he contacted me) and after a call to Basin Motor Works, Harry came over to this fellow's motel with a trailer and fixed the problem while he waited and got him on the road. He doesn't stock a lot of parts but can usually get them overnight from Santa Fe BMW if he doesn't have them. Harry is an honest man and does meticulous work. He is not the cheapest, but we're happy to have him and his shop here in Durango. We're happy with his work and happy to recommend him.
  5. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    Good to hear!
  6. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nevermind.
  7. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had a long phone conversation with Harry @ Basin Motor Works. He's an incredibly nice guy and his love for the bikes is evident.

FWIW~ Scary
  8. locopostie

locopostie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a great shop. My brother takes his F800GS there. I watched him work on my brothers bike. He takes the time to do it right. If I lived in the area, I would not hesitate to take my bikes to him. I will try to find a number for his shop.
  9. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the above for Harry HIll at Basin , he is knowledgeable, honest, will go out of his way to help bikers broken down, just all the good stuff!!

For my two cents, very hard to beat his prices, his talent, and his dedication to us riders.

Go see for yourself.

gale
  10. hathers thumper

hathers thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All Sports Honda lost /gave up the BMW franchise. GJ Harley Davidson has it now. Go Fiquire !
  11. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Durangoman

Durangoman Yeah its me!

Oddometer:
    Harry has been in business a few years now and has his own website. http://www.basinmotorcycleworks.com/

He serviced my 1200c and F650. Did a good job. Its nice having him around...