ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #4981
mhpalin
Hippy
 
mhpalin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Lamont AB Canada
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I'm a mechanical engineer at JPL, where a lot of the modern development of aerogel happened, and we use it all the time for spacecraft insulation. I have a chunk of it sitting on my desk. Do you have any supporting sources for that claim?

It crumbles readily and is a mechanical irritant (and perhaps a silicosis risk if pulverized and inhaled in quantities over time) but isn't carcinogenic or toxic.
How do you know it is not a carcinogen when there has been very little study done on this material and like I said when we use this product we wear the same PPE as we wear when we handle asbestos.Our union is in the process of having a long term study done on this material,remember asbestos was known to cause cancer in 1898 and wasn't banned in the US till 1976-78 and it is still sold to the third world.That is great that you have it on your desk I would not even have any type of insulation on my desk.I have seen enough people die of asbestos related cancers why would you even exapose your self to fiberglass let alone something that is really a unknown when it comes to long term health effects,remember asbestos only kills you 30 years latter.But have at it suck the stuff in you are bullet proof.

As for what I would use on my rear header I am making a stainless steel heat shield to either attach to the pipe or some how to the frame still just trying to figure out how to attach it
mhpalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #4982
reenmachine
Rain or Shine
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Studio City, CA
Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpalin View Post
How do you know it is not a carcinogen when there has been very little study done on this material and like I said when we use this product we wear the same PPE as we wear when we handle asbestos.Our union is in the process of having a long term study done on this material,remember asbestos was known to cause cancer in 1898 and wasn't banned in the US till 1976-78 and it is still sold to the third world.That is great that you have it on your desk I would not even have any type of insulation on my desk.I have seen enough people die of asbestos related cancers why would you even exapose your self to fiberglass let alone something that is really a unknown when it comes to long term health effects,remember asbestos only kills you 30 years latter.But have at it suck the stuff in you are bullet proof.

As for what I would use on my rear header I am making a stainless steel heat shield to either attach to the pipe or some how to the frame still just trying to figure out how to attach it
I have no interest in getting drawn into an internet argument about insulation. I will offer a couple simple facts instead of argumentative scare-mongering:

Aerogel is (in almost all cases) silica. It's not a new material, but rather an extremely well-known material simply in a different form. If you're worried about silica exposure, don't go to the beach and avoid glass. As I said before, the only real risk to it is silicosis, and this would come from repeated long-term exposure to particulates created from crushing or pulverizing the aerogel. Perhaps this is a conceivable concern in an industry such as yours where someone may be handling the material all day every day for years on end, but buying a commercially-prepared sheet of it and farting around in the shop like kag wants to do poses absolutely no risk.

Of course, everyone should do their own research, but it's always a good idea to base conclusions on facts and evidence rather than hearsay, but to each his own.

I certainly don't consider myself to be bulletproof. I simply understand the risks I expose myself to. I mean, we're on a motorcycle forum for christ's sake. I hate to tell you this, but there have been long-term studies done that show that motorcycle riding is risky, and it can sure as hell kill you faster than cancer will.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure
'11 BMW G650GS
'02 Yamaha FZ1
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #4983
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I have no interest in getting drawn into an internet argument about insulation. I will offer a couple simple facts instead of argumentative scare-mongering:

Aerogel is (in almost all cases) silica. It's not a new material, but rather an extremely well-known material simply in a different form. If you're worried about silica exposure, don't go to the beach and avoid glass. As I said before, the only real risk to it is silicosis, and this would come from repeated long-term exposure to particulates created from crushing or pulverizing the aerogel. Perhaps this is a conceivable concern in an industry such as yours where someone may be handling the material all day every day for years on end, but buying a commercially-prepared sheet of it and farting around in the shop like kag wants to do poses absolutely no risk.

Of course, everyone should do their own research, but it's always a good idea to base conclusions on facts and evidence rather than hearsay, but to each his own.

I certainly don't consider myself to be bulletproof. I simply understand the risks I expose myself to. I mean, we're on a motorcycle forum for christ's sake. I hate to tell you this, but there have been long-term studies done that show that motorcycle riding is risky, and it can sure as hell kill you faster than cancer will.
Yeah silica is not that bad as long as dust is managed. Wear a dusk mask when cutting it. It's the same thing with sand blasting. Even if I use a negative pressure cabinet, I still wear a dust mask. Silica dust is not good for your lungs.
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #4984
E1Allen
UH-60 Pilot
 
E1Allen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Clarksville, TN
Oddometer: 101
So, my bike has been at the dealer for about a month with the whole won't start below 40 degrees problem. I even called KTM USA and they are working with the dealer to figure it out. I called Saturday and they are waiting for the diagnostic tool from Austria to further identify the problem.

Shame I'm moving to Hawaii where it will never see 40 degrees for three years, but I'm coming home to the cold after and I'm not the only one with the same issue.
__________________
It's a small world my friend.
E1Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #4985
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow
 
pizzaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Aledo, Texas
Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
So, my bike has been at the dealer for about a month with the whole won't start below 40 degrees problem. I even called KTM USA and they are working with the dealer to figure it out. I called Saturday and they are waiting for the diagnostic tool from Austria to further identify the problem.

Shame I'm moving to Hawaii where it will never see 40 degrees for three years, but I'm coming home to the cold after and I'm not the only one with the same issue.
Its so f'n rediculous, they know exactly whats wrong with the bike. They're just trying to figure out how not to spend the money to fix it. I'd mention Lemon Law to them, and see if that gets them off their butts..Good luck
__________________
'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz 03/08 BD
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R 03/14 BD
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #4986
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I but buying a commercially-prepared sheet of it and farting around in the shop like kag wants to do poses absolutely no risk.

.
Outstanding........ordered a piece the other day anyway when it was going to kill me....I just couldn't help myself
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #4987
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
So, my bike has been at the dealer for about a month with the whole won't start below 40 degrees problem. I even called KTM USA and they are working with the dealer to figure it out. I called Saturday and they are waiting for the diagnostic tool from Austria to further identify the problem.

Shame I'm moving to Hawaii where it will never see 40 degrees for three years, but I'm coming home to the cold after and I'm not the only one with the same issue.

Nothing to figure out or problem to identify.....

__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015