Riding Alone - Chime in with the abuse

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by GiMoto Canada, Jul 5, 2009.

1. GiMoto Canada

GiMoto Canada KTM Submarine Capt.

Oddometer:
    I did a search and did not find much, so why not start one. First of all, I am not a loner who has no friends and lives in a van down by the river. The reality is I go with the family on vacation (tow the bike), I book an extra week, unload the bike and plan to ride back alone (offroad) through British Columbia and Alberta.

Its hard to find someone who can hook up on a specific day in interior BC and go back to Alberta. To keep the safety on the upside, I carry the following:

- Full tool kit, spares, etc
    - Bear spray, air horn, flares and bear bangers
    - Full gear (Leatt brace and body armor)
    - Garmin GPS with route
    - Compass (basic backup map)
    - SPOT (so my wife can find my carcass and get the insurance money)

I camp in campgrounds so I get some human contact and I do not go nuts.

The questions:

Am I nuts? Is this a bad idea? Do others ride off road alone?

To put things in perspective, I have saved part of the working route in a it in a GoogleEarth route. Open GoogleEarth or install it and open the following file, it has to be saved.

http://www.gimotocanada.com/download/route.kmz

(right click - save as)

Any thoughts? :ear
  2. Hamilton Felix

Hamilton Felix Part Time Good Guy

Oddometer:
    You are more cautious, packing more gear than I do to ride across Washington State alone. A buddy just got back from the SD strom meet.
    He's decided he prefers to ride alone on road trips. You're not tied to anyone else's riding speed or style, anyone else's schedule or anything.
    Frankly, I have never been convinced the riding or driving in groups is safer.
  3. steelerfan1069

steelerfan1069 bugkiller

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on your off-road experience on your bike. If your a beginner I would not try it. I did a solo trip from California to Alaska in 2007, I rather enjoy riding alone. The biggest problem I had was the fact that I could spend 10 hours off-road on my bike and only have traveled 50 miles. I ended up traveling from spot to spot and then doing off-road day trips from camp, that way I was satisfied I was covering some ground and still getting some off-road action. It was awesome, I would highly recommend it!
  4. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    About 90% of my riding is alone.You sound like you know what your doing. Go for it!
  5. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding alone i find is alot more relaxing, you don't have to worry about anyone and you can go where you like.
    Whats nuts about that.?
  6. WzlTech

WzlTech The fool on the hill

Oddometer:
    I've ridden over a lot of the western US alone. I wouldn't call it off-road per se, but some pretty out of the way places. As long as your bike is well maintained and you remember that you ARE alone and take reasonable precautions, as it seems you have, I don't think it's nuts at all.

The reality is that commuting to work through any major city is one of the most dangerous things you can do. You are taking a risk, but then life is a risk every day. Some people crack their heads falling in the bathtub. Take the reasonable precautions, ride more reserved than you would with other folks along, and have a great time. Oh, and don't forget to post a ride report for the rest of us. :D

But mostly, ask yourself, would you rather die on an adventure or sitting on the couch. The answer will guide your choice.
    Ride safe, ride free, and stop to take pictures. :ricky

[​IMG]
  7. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode solo this past May and June from Arkansas to Alaska and loved it.
    The folks I met along the way were awesome! Everyone was eager to engage in conversations about their experiences and to hear about mine. Park a packed motorcycle and they will come! LOL.

[​IMG]

A group of folks stopped while I was setting up my tripod to do a picture and took it for me.
  8. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that when traveling alone the locals/other people are much more talkative. Of course, where you're talking about going that may not apply!
  9. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

Looks like you had better weather than I had when I was there!! :beer
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I think you are crazy to camp in camp grounds.
  11. ruh roh

ruh roh hey Yall

Oddometer:
    I went alone, but im just as worried breaking down an hour from home as i am 1000 miles. Women on the side of the highway are more vulnerable anywhere. Too bad Mr Barnes didint announce he was going, (or I didnt see it) I would have gone part way with you.

I made sure to camp right next to a ranger station, or next to a family.
  12. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I would rather ride with friends off road but alone on the open road. Its more of an adventure for some reason. Watching your pard breaks up the day dreaming/good vibes thing. I like having someone along to foot half the motel bill or go out to eat with but you can't have everything. The most important part of the trip is what I call "Epic Moments" or total enlightment. I think most long haulers know what I mean.
  13. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:

That's it :thumb
  14. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No abuse from this quarter. I've been riding more alone, than w/people, for 30 years. At least 2/3 of my trip mileage is solo. I have ridden much of both the US and Canada(mainly off the interstates with a healthy amount of dirt included). Last year, I added both some solo, and some group riding time in Europe.

You are clearly approaching this with forethought and will obviously think about what you're doing. I don't have a SPOT but I've signed up with MedJet Assist. So far, there has been no need to use them. :norton

The comment above about the ease of relating with people is true. If you are alone, it's easier to end up chatting with perfect strangers. It's just a different dynamic. I love both going solo and riding w/friends. Both have strengths.

Have a great time.

15. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Unapologetic Editor

Oddometer:
    Yes, then you can bring adequate camping gear for a nice camp while tasting lots of different trails with a light unloaded bike. Seems like the way to go to me. I do lots of stuff solo (backpack hunt etc.) and it really makes me get to know my silly self and appreciate company... even my wife:wink:
  16. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Unapologetic Editor

Oddometer:
    Looks like S.W. Wyoming high plains desert... Or the region anyway.
  17. cbx1980

cbx1980 THe Un-Cola

Oddometer:
    Collective States of the Special Interests
    I've never had an occasion to ride off road alone, but I would. I've ridden thousands of miles in Mexico alone, never had a major problem. I say prepare yourself and bike well, then enjoy your trip.
  18. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    I do, why not? You just have to drive smarter and not take risks. I drove the full length and more of the Trans Labrador Highway alone where you might see another vehicle every 30 minutes. I plan to ride Iceland solo, and I'm not talking about the ring road.

BTW, if you are serious about your safety, spend the one-time amount and buy a PLB. There is a reason ships, aircraft, etc rely on the system for rescue.
  19. Fundy Rider

Fundy Rider Where 2?

Oddometer:
    When packed up and travelling alone I think you are more likely to be approached vs. being intimidated by a group.

I've had people take on a boat ride off the Labrador coast, taken in a Cree home up in James Bay and taken care of after having a bad dehaydrated day in Colorado.

I think the door to adventure is more open on your own, but I never will attemp anything I am not ready for even if that means turning back(shhh don't tell anyone.)

Many more wonderful experiences on my own. I really haven't ridden any other way but do wonder how it would change the dynamics of a trip with other riders.
  20. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    You're not crazy, I do go to some pretty out of the way places solo. But you need to be prepared, both physically (your bike, equip, etc) and most importantly, mentally. Riding alone means swallowing your pride and turning back when the trail gets too rough. Even then, however, you can have...adventures. This happened to me on my trip last week: link (scroll down to post 8) That was a pretty benign obstacle on an otherwise easy trail but I was stuck for nearly two hours. Situations can come up even if you're being careful.