Getting laid off on Friday ...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by whitham_wannabe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didya go through Petrolia on your way south? If you did, you went right past my old house-the brownish beige one right across the street from the store with the little rock wall.

Usal was my playground for a couple years there. Great part of the world. I remember getting the Toomer stuck on Usal, about 1/4 mile after the black bear scared the sh*t out of me when he decided to cross the road in front of the motorcycle moving along at a good pace. It was February, I was alone, and it took me a couple of hours to extricate the big pig. I arrived at my destination, a 4-star hotel in SF, absolutely covered in mud (at least, what hadn't been washed off by the rainstorm in Marin county) :lol3

As big as the mudholes get out there, you might just consider yourself lucky. If the Rangers haven't opened it yet, it's probably for a good reason. :deal
  2. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    Making the best of it I see... when you make it back up to the Northlands again, give me a yell if you want to explore the Olympics, or just kick back on the beach with a beer(or many)

Those of us left behind in cubical land are watching your adventures closely.

Keep in touch.
  3. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies ... I have been lax keeping up the story, because I suck at posting from the road. I only had my iPhone with me, and my big camera, and well, couldn't figure it all out.

MotoMedic - I did go through Petrolia, what a fantastic place to live. I was surprised to find the Usal closed, but wasn't prepared to risk a solo foray down there unless I knew it would go through.

Redwolf - I may just take you up and that offer of exploring the Olympics, there's got to be some good riding over there.

Oh well, on with the story ...
  4. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Day seven. Stayed with Bondy down in San Diego, and while he went to work, he very thoughtfully left me the keys to the K1300S. Foolish man! So I took a jaunt up to Irvine to see Chris, just laid off from Fisker. If you know anyone with a Fisker, tell them to sell it now, the company is going down the drain, along with the 520 million of our tax payer dollars that went into funding that escapade.

Left a little Easter Egg for Bondy to find on his GPS. I would have gone faster, but the Shoei Hornet was on spin cycle at those speeds.

[​IMG]
  5. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Day Eight. Rode from San Diego to Monument Valley. Picked a fight with a cactus ...

[​IMG]

... and slept by the side of a shack.

[​IMG]
  6. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Day Nine. This one is going to involve a few more photos ...

The previous day my GPS power had taken a dump, and the battery expired just before I stopped, so I knew I was going to have to fix it first thing in the morning. But what a spot to do some repairs.

[​IMG]

I moved into the shack next door, made a cup of tea and got to work.

[​IMG]

So, in my minds eye, I had this image that the ride through Utah would be wonderful and warm, sunshine for the soul. As I approached the Valley of the Gods, these warm thoughts started to disperse ...

[​IMG]

What the hell, thought I, I'll take a ride through anyway.

[​IMG]

And then ...

[​IMG]

What the ....?

[​IMG]

So then I went to the Moki Dugway switchbacks, which "afford a stunning view of the Utah desert", according to my map book. Not the day I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there I headed straight for Moab. Temps were in the 25-30 range, driving snow, not what I expected from Utah! This is the ice build up on the front of the Beemer.

[​IMG]

In Moab the temps were at least in the high 30's, and the snow had abated. Set up camp, and took a couple of rides out into the desert.

[​IMG]

Love this place.

[​IMG]
  7. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep the story going!! :clap:clapSome years ago when I was laid off, I used my bronze parachute to fund a 3,000 mile ride through the desert SW including the Moki Dugway. It was a mind clearing trip and soon thereafter I was back working.
  8. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :photog priceless. :clap:poser:pynd:clap:freaky
  9. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Nice summary, Tony ... about sums it up!

Day Ten. I had planned to stay in Moab for a couple of days, but there was family drama going on that I felt I needed to be home for. Of course, everything was resolved by the time I got back, but there you go ...

Last blast across the desert.
    [​IMG]

Highs and lows - 9114 feet and 22 degrees.
    [​IMG]

Unoffically joined the 100mph club at the Bonneville Salt Flats, GPS verified, 100 plus both ways. As a LSR buff, this was a bit of pilgrimage for me. I could almost sense the ghosts of those great men that came here to worship the Gods of Speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    refreshing

thanks
  11. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Day 11. Played in the deserts of northern Nevada, before getting caught in a rain and snow storm going over to Idaho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Let's get this finished ....!

Saturday. Tried to get over the Front Range from Idaho into Oregon. Friendly Sheriff told me no, still snowed in and he didn't want to come and rescue me.

Sometimes, my GPS forgets we're on the GS.
    [​IMG]

The Front Range.
    [​IMG]

Looped around to the Owyhee Dam, and took some Oregon back roads.
    [​IMG]

My final camp fire for the trip.
    [​IMG]
  13. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    And finally, Sunday. From the John Day area to home.

[​IMG]

And to finish with a flurry, I got snowed on again coming over Stevens Pass. Third time I rode in snow this trip!
    [​IMG]
  14. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Day 12. Reviewing the aftermath.

4200 miles, no tickets. Result. Not sure where I went 800 feet below the surface of the ocean, though.
    [​IMG]

Going to need a new tyre, this one has a squashed worm on it.
    [​IMG]
  15. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    Top speed 101:rofl

I see you were holding back then.

Looks like you had fun, now go take some more pictures of great places for all of us still chained to our desks.
  16. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    It was struggling, with all my camping gear on the back, 100 took a while to get to! I guess Jesse's don't help with the aero!

Day 14 and I met up with Pete for a ride.
    [​IMG]
  17. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    Very cool:super
  18. whitham_wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, I failed to keep this thread up to date, but all too soon, my life of leisure has come to an end ... start my new job tomorrow. Very excited about it too, but I know one guy that isn't going to be happy to see me leave in the morning ....

[​IMG]
  19. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    Poor Bruce,

Lost his riding partner.

But on the up side, you can now afford to keep feeding him; he will like that. :lol3