MOD F800/F700/F650 (twin) GS skid plate and top rack

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by toowheels, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    I think if you can confirm the Holans I won't bother ordering the BMW skid plate. Bikes not arriving till mid to late April, but I've got you bookmarked for my skid plate (and top rack). We put a deposit down for my Wife's F800GS last week too, while I don't pick out her stuff - she is kind of a copy cat as evident by the new bike...

I am no designer, but what about more slotted holes in the lower portion of the skid plate to help evacuate mud/debris/water?
  2. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    A couple of quick pics of second proto rack and the bike set up for the Vancouver Moto Show. Notice the "keyhole" mounting holes courtesy of MotoRiley's brain! :wave They work really well.

[​IMG]

And with the side Roto Pax mount;

[​IMG]

The front of the F800 GS top rack has been altered a bit to give a little more space to the passenger from the first version shown. This pic shows the rack in the forward position as opposed to the top pic it's in the rear position for a passenger.

Thanks,

Dave
  3. toowheels

Oddometer:
    We may add some slots but they aren't really needed for cooling or evacuation of anything. Strength is of the utmost importance for MOD's equipment and the right side in particular is quite close to the exhaust pipes. This is required to fit all the different types of engine bars since they sit outside of the plate.

We still tried to make the side plates as large as possible to give the most coverage even when used with engine bars that don't come down as far or no engine bars at all. This second prototype F800 GS skid plate is also slimmer than our previous version mostly at the front and a little taller at the front too.

After the show I'll make the rounds to check for compatibility of as many engine bars as I can find...I'll let you know.

[​IMG]

With the Tool Box mounted;

[​IMG]

and the complete bike raring to go to the Vancouver Moto Show;

[​IMG]

We will also have the Giant Loop products at our booth at the show so we can see how the Great Basin fits with the latest top rack prototype.

Thanks,

Dave
    Hope to see you at the show!
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Genius design. The ability to move fore and aft. Built in Rotopax compatibility. Large. Lots of tie down points. It doesn't get much better than this. I'm in. I want one ASAP. I was going to go with the Touratech one until I came across this. One thing... try to keep the price comparable to or cheaper than the Touratech one (85 USD).:D If so, I'm buyin' it!

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?SKU=048-0101&-session=touratech:4B4861671d78535BE9jYh1146BD4
  5. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Made my own version using an HT rack.
    I'd be interested in this rack when it is available. It looks to be very well thought out.
    I really like the Rotopax 1 gallon. I don't even notice it.

[​IMG]
  6. John Spartan

John Spartan Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer:
    Just curious about the tool box: will it fit other skid plates with a little modification? Tx!
  7. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks Griz! :nod I'm planning to have the design finalized very soon and the first production run done for the end of Feb.
    Pricing hasn't been finalized yet, likely a little more than $85 USD though.
  8. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

Yes I think you could modify the tool box and/or another skid plate to make them work together. Let me know which skid plate you are talking about though as I will be able to advise you better.

Thanks,

Dave
  9. John Spartan

John Spartan Middle Age Crazy

Oddometer:
    Dave, I have the original BMW skidplate on mine.
  10. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

If you mean by "the original one" the silver Touratech/BMW one then I don't believe it leaves enough clearance behind the front wheel due to it's pointed profile. I will confirm this though.

Dave
  11. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in if you can swap givi and rotopack mounts!

Thought of mounting points for the agri-supply tool tubes?
  12. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Yes the top rack fits very well with the Giant Loop Great Basin! :clap
    That is with the rack in the forward position and there is still a bit of room between them. The strap slots all work very well with the Great Basin too.

The Giant Loop Fandango tank bag is also on there and it works very well also. Both are slim and stay put. It's an awesome set-up!

[​IMG]

vasculopath...

Givi mounts yes...

I haven't tried agri-supply tool tubes but there is probably enough room.

Thanks,
  13. superhawkrider

superhawkrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my new lava orange 800gs yesterday. Waiting for your completed product. Love the top rack (love how its easily adaptable to several options) and will probably get your skid plate since it looks like it may fit with the metal mule crash bars. Standing by!
  14. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Cool! New moto, Congrats!:D
    I'll keep you up-to-date...the target is still the end of Feb. I want to be sure everything is all good before production.

Thanks,

Dave
  15. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

It looks like space wise the MOD tool box will just fit in front of the BMW/Touratech skid plate and behind the front wheel. You would have to have long spacers through the vent slots on the plate to mount it due to the pointed profile and it would end up higher than the Touratech box which is a good thing.

I guess my only concern is the strength of the that skid plate. When you fill up the tool box it can get pretty heavy and I have already heard of and seen the Touratech/BMW skid plates cracking at the welds just with regular use and nothing attached to it. Their skid plate is also a thinner gauge aluminium at 1/8".

Thanks,

Dave
  16. backroadsandbeyond

backroadsandbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya I agree BMW skidplates have crappy welds. A few spots on mine were already cracked when I bought it. Must be robotic welding with crappy quality control.

One day when Im bored I will fix the welds.
  17. toowheels

Oddometer:
    We're working hard to get the parts done!

I have confirmed the fit with BMW, Givi and SW Motech engine bars. Looking at the Metal Mule bars I really think our MOD F800 GS V2 skid plate will work with it too.

Here's a pic without any engine bars obscuring the view;

[​IMG]

There are still a couple of minor tweaks going into production.

I still need to find someone with some Holan engine bars to check the fit with...anyone near Vancouver, BC :ear

Production starts next week regardless 'cause I am just about 100% sure it will fit with the Holans' and Metal Mules too.

Thanks,

Dave
  18. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I Have the Adventure Spec crash bars which are very popular if you want to see if it fits.:D

19. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Motoriley. I am sure it will fit Adventure Specs' bars as they would have even fit the original skid plate. They are really narrow at the bottom with them being built off the extension plates the way they are.

Here's a pic from the other side with SW-Motech engine bars and showing the oil cooler coverage.

[​IMG]

It looks like the bars and the plate are close but the plate is actually sitting inside the engine bars.

I am also looking for anyone with Hepco and Becker engine bars to try the plate with. Anyone out there...near here...Vancouver, B.C.
    'Course I can ride a bit to get to you. :ricky

Thanks,

Dave
  20. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    When are those racks shipping? Spring has almost sprung here....