Ottawa-Inuvik-Tierra Del Fuego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Super Tenere, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Hevy Kevy

Hevy Kevy ADDRider

Oddometer:
    :lurk IN! Looks like another classic in the making. I followed Kedgi from Shediac to Ushuai, enjoy. I'm a couple of years out from doing several months. Cheers.
  2. Way-do

Way-do Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Ottawa for years and when I moved back west, I loaded my life into a Honda Accord and drove Ottawa-Calgary in 3 days. I'd love to do the trip again on the bike, but I'll settle for following you this summer.

You also get special credit for being a hammock camper!:devildog
  3. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Somehow motorcycle riders always attract people, two older gentleman, hey where you going and me Inuvik NWT and trying to decide if I should go South of lake Superior or North, the two guys North of course because it's the most scenic, well they where right it is a very beautiful ride reminded me of the Pacific Cost Hwy 1 at some spots and a must do.

[​IMG]

Made it past Thunder Bay and about 350 km before the Manitoba border, decided to look for a spot to camp and fond a transmit tower in the middle of nowhere and thought that would be a good spot, well here is another sticky note to self, unless you bath in Deet don't do that, I don't know how in the world you would be able to set-up camp and not be eaten up first.

The weather started looking bad and some thunder clouds started there show and tell, so I pulled into a rest stop that had this nice covered shelter made to withstand just about anything, set-up under it and am I glad I did, the storm hit with a wham thunder lightning all around and a real heavy downpour, after that fell asleep like a baby cradled by the wind in my comfy hammock, life is good.

[​IMG]

Will post more later, for now next stop Winnipeg.

Jeff
  4. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Thanks Patrol will keep you in mind if need something and hope you enjoy the ride.

Jeff
  5. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Hevy Kevy I followed Kedgi also, great RR and he tells it like it is, not always the case with some, I hope I can live up to it.

Thanks for coming along Way-do, hope you enjoy the ride.

Jeff
  6. Tripper-CMC

Tripper-CMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff,

Thought I would update a Google map to show your location based on your comments. Have a looksee and let me know where you stop and I will update it, If you give me a planned route I can add these too for you.:D Then anyone along the line can see you rolling along and hopefully they can offer a place to stay or offer some suggestions if they are familiar with the area.:rofl

This might help keep the costs down for you... everything helps!! As well maybe we can get you a room along the way using the CMC network if I know in advance where you are going to be.

http://goo.gl/maps/s1nWZ

Just helping a buddy out in whatever way I can...

Tripper-CMC
  7. sloj0

sloj0 uber n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

I actually just completed a very similar trip to yours, except in reverse. I started in Chile and went north to Inuvik! Loved the Dempster Hwy!

You are in for a fantastic experience. Good luck to you although you sound like a fairly experienced rider who knows what he's doing, you should do fine.

Yeah, keeping to that budget is tough. Fuel and tyres were far and away the biggest expense of my trip. Plenty of free camping in the States, I loved National Forest land, so much beautiful empty space to roam, camp, ride, do whatever.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I said you seem to have it fairly well figured out, but if you have any questions or want some advice feel free to ask.

Oh, and I did it on a Tenere too! But the single cyl 660cc version.
  8. Krazycanuc

Krazycanuc RCAF (rt'd)

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff,

I will be following your journey to South America.

Best of luck and courage. :clap
  9. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    That's awesome sloj0, did you make a RR on this forum or did you do something ells?

Jeff
  10. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Great to have you along Jacques.

Jeff
  11. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    That's super Greg, can't thank you enough for doing this. Will see if I can get trip route planned and let you know.

Jeff
  12. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Riding into Manitoba is like someone hit it with a hammer, totally flat, what a difference from the Ontario side witch is nice and hilly with lots of curves and here absolute nothing. Drove through Winnipeg and started looking for a rest area to camp again, but none to be found for 150 km's, I guess Manitoba wants you to take a camping’s or so, so I pulled into one and asked first, how much, $25 says the owner and me how about $15 it's only a hammock, the owner alright that will be fine and do you want to take a shower with that, holy cow this guy wants to negotiate for a shower, so I tell him it's $15 and I do want that shower or I'm heading back out, alright he says. Looks like this is going to be fun for the rest of the trip, bargain hunting or get ripped.

Fond out that Super Tenere doesn't like regular gas much, only after two fill-ups because they had no super it started making a noise like you would hear when the oil is out on the old rod cam lifter engines (ticking), not constant but at certain revs, makes me wonder if I should bring along some octane booster or not, any of you guys have any experience on that matter, please let me know.

Did come across this cool airplane planted in the middle of town, reminded me of a show called Sky King that I always used to watch as a kid.

[​IMG]

Next stop Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Jeff
  13. Crazy Daisy

Crazy Daisy Daisy Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff,
    Sorry we missed seeing you before your departure. Sending you wishes for good weather and good roads. We will be following your trip with interest and envy. Take good care and enjoy every moment.
    All the best, Patti.
  14. Krazycanuc

Krazycanuc RCAF (rt'd)

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

Campgrounds that I could find on-line around Moose Jaw are:

Buffalo Pound/Elmview, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi, $15 to $24/day

Buffalo Pound/Maple Vale, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi,$15 to $20/day

Prairie Oasis Tourist Complex,955 Thatcher DR E.
    Moose Jaw $34 to $39/day!!!
  15. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    I'm in. Rode the Dempster last summer..Interested to see how the hammock tarp thingy works for you in the Great White North.
  16. hdawg

hdawg I can see clearly now….

Oddometer:
    if you are going down PCH 1 and get to Santa Cruz, CA., send me a message. Don't have camp space but can offer bed and shower along with a meal if that helps.
  17. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    Just offering up my help as well, when you get to Panama, you are welcome to hang your helmet at my shack on the beach. Stay a while and relax, enjoy the typical Panamanian lifestyle. Playa Uverito near Las Tablas in the Provence of Los Santos.
    Safe travels :D
  18. sloj0

sloj0 uber n00b

Oddometer:
    I kept a blog, slojo.tumblr.com

re: your problems with regular fuel, you may encounter some issues further down the track as premium can get a bit scarce in some countries, an octane booster might be good idea.

Free camping got a bit difficult for me between Ecuador and Mexico, lack of open public land I guess, but cheap hostels are fairly common there.
  19. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:

Wow! Beech 18 on Flotes! :thumb
  20. Keating

Keating Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a beautiful Twin Beech. Could use a little cleaning and some polish...
    ETA: I'm a bush/float plane fan....