The Great Big SPOT Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by John E Davies, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    It's a shame you've had so much trouble with the SPOT Connect, but yours isn't the first bad report I've heard and probably not the last. I'm still using a SPOT 1 with great success going on 5-6 years and really don't plan to upgrade. The SPOT 3 might get my attention after some good usage reports but its still pretty new.

Anyway, its a shame to write them off based on that one device that obviously has had a less than stellar track record just from reports here on ADV and probably a lot more out there too. That device just didn't get enough real world testing before it went to market or just wasn't ready for prime time use.

I can't say I've ever had any issues with the website over the course of that time either.
  2. Mike E

Mike E Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had two Spot 2 units fail on me. I hope the new version proves better, but I'm now very skeptical until I hear more about their reliability.
  3. jaymboze

jaymboze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would not even consider another Spot purchase after 2 failures.
    You are a braver man than I...!
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    GPSCentral in Calgary have the Spot II for $119, and a $50 rebate makes it even cheaper. Don't forget to try the Free Tracking code described in one of the other threads here on ADV if you buy one of these. Saves yet another $50.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    From the GPSCity Facebook page yesterday:

I’m happy to confirm that the SPOT 3 unit was certified by the FCC today.

Hardware will start shipping from the US to Canada tomorrow. Back orders will start arriving next week. Yay!!!
  7. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lost my Spot Gen II yesterday on a ride in the middle of nowhere and I immediately felt vulnerable. It is funny how much safer I felt carrying it. I ride solo almost exclusively and frequently far off the beaten path. I used it to check in with the wife regularly and also for tracking and I never had a single problem in the last 3 years of use.

I called Spot and they suspended the service and will transfer it to my new device once purchased.

I know that there are Spot haters out there but it is a system that has worked well for me
  8. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume u didn't have tracking function?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
  9. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    That's what I was going to ask? If the tracking had been on, you could probably go right to it. :D
  10. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even with tracking enabled, you can't find it without another GPS device to verify your position.
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    LOL, well I about never leave home without a GPS and just about any Android or iPhone has GPS built in these days. :D

I remember a thread a couple years ago where a guy lost his Spot on the Dalton highway. He wasn't sure where he lost it, so when he got home he tracked it and found the location and posted on ADV. A few months later, someone found it and it happened to be face down, but still managed to get its signal out until the tracking turned off. :freaky
  12. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    That
  13. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    Yep, BTDT, albeit on a smaller geographic scale. I was happy to find it and even happier that it worked so well under poor conditions (face down in deep leaves in a forest).

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19245566&postcount=3157
  14. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to transfer service from a Spot Gen 2 over to the new Spot Gen 3? Just picked one up today and tried to activate but it's trying to get me to purchase an entire new plan. I still have 10 months left on my Gen 2 service and would hate to lose it. Do I have to do it through customer service or what?
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can. I bought a used Spot 2 some time ago and switched service from my Spot 1 to the 2 with one call to Spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    You can do it online. Go to your account at findmespot.com and go to "activate my device", deactivate the old spot then activate the new one. You will need the ESN number and Authorization number from inside the battery compartment of the new one. If you are just keeping your same services no worries. If you are adding services you can do that there as well.
  18. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will look something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:ricky
  19. udoggie

udoggie Top Dog

Oddometer:
    I was able to do it online as well.

I had the tracking service, so it was no cost to do the upgrade to the new SPOT gen3.

Just remember, if you currently have a gen2, you can get a $50 rebate when you buy a gen3.

UD
  20. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yes, REI's policy works for SPOT units. My 2.5 year old SPOT 2 failed last week while my son was on a week long kayak trip--the unit's GPS system failed, could not send any location info...bummer.*

Anyway, Spot would've allowed me to retroactively purchase the replacement service ($18/yr) + the $30 deductible so I could have replaced it for $50...but then I remembered I'd bought the unit from REI.

REI has changed their warranty a bit, used to be lifetime returns, no questions asked. Now, it's 1 year satisfaction (e.g., just don't like it, they'll take it back) but it's still a lifetime warranty for defects. Took the failed SPOT 2 back, received full credit for the original purchase price, and then I bought a new Gen3 unit with the credit. Saved the $50 it would have cost through Spot.

...not to mention the rebate promotion... :deal

The ONLY thing I don't like about the Gen3 is that the tracking service is required; if someone is really trying to scrape for minimal cost the SPOT 2 allows you to save the $50/year by eliminating tracking service.

That said, I've found the tracking service is definitely worthwhile to me. The first year or so I didn't use it and thought it a waste of money. I added it shortly before a big trip to Baja and it was SO worthwhile I'd never go without it--it's the kind of thing you don't value until you've used it, so I can understand why they're making it part of the package now with Gen3.

*Yeah, it was definitely disappointing the unit failed during their trip.
    But, it's an electronic device where failures can & will occur. The unit worked
    flawlessly for 2.5 years and I was glad to have it and will continue to rely on it
    going forward. However, it's never a good idea to have your safety net held
    together with a single strand; they had other methods woven into their net
    and despite our frustration at not being able to track them they had other
    means to call for help. I am thankful they didn't need them (almost did, but
    that means it was an a-d-v!)