Military Pass Road Mt. Shasta

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 2on2off, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Anybody ridden Military Pass dirt road on the eastern slope of Mt. Shasta? I will be riding through there in June on my way to Canada.

This road runs north/south and is about 27 miles long.

Thanks.
  2. JaggGS

JaggGS Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I road it about 6 years ago on a XR400 DS. It was mid-summer, no snow. Very gradual rize to high point. As I recall it was a good dirt road and could be done on a heavy DS - Adv bike like a GS.
    Hope this helps.
  3. shasta650

shasta650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    great ride!views of shasta's glaciers ,But!check with F.S. to see if it's clear of snow there's an unusual amount of lower elev.snow this year (snowed last week)
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I rode it a couple years ago on my Buell. No maps and no gps, but I went through there somehow. I was east of Shasta Mtn, dipped into Lassen Park somewhere in there.

If you have time take hwy 66 west into Ashland...one of my top ten west coast twistiest roads.
  5. needles

needles Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden this road recently? I'm looking to head up there this weekend and wanted to see how technical the ride is. I'm sort of a dirt noob with my DL1000.

Dan
  6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    When I initially posted this thread, I was on my '07 GSA that I sold after only one year but I put almost 20K miles on it. I had alot of fun with it and knew I would get another one. Replaced the GSA with an '08 R1200RT that I put 23,000 miles on and then sold last September.

Bought another GSA a few months ago and am again heading to Canada next month so these recent posts are perfect timing. I still haven't ridden this road and hope to check it out on my GSA next month so current reports of conditions would be appreciated.

What is this road like when it is wet?
  7. needles

needles Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just called the forest service and the road is open sans a 50 yard section of snow up at the top of the pass...

Dan
  8. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    Don't be confused by the maps vs. GPS battle that this road sometimes presents. Military Pass road goes almost single track in spots if you follow the GPS. The nearby alternate route gets you out to hwy 97 as well. Haven't been out there in a while to see why that is. Plenty of great roads out here though.

-Terry
  9. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good information. I rode 9 days to Bella Coola, B.C. Canada in July with four friends but we didn't have time to ride Military road near Shasta. Just gives me a reason to take another ride to northern California.

Here is a video I shot of the 40 mile section of dirt into Bella Coola which was our destination. We rode about 4,500 miles and had a great time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fSbd8eCgqE