1968 Bultaco Matador m26

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by blaine.hale, Mar 20, 2011.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why hate? You can still buy them... Lineman boots, I paid $16 for mine. I had a pair of them, my brother still has them. The extra leather on the toe was for wear when climbing poles with the spikes on. That was what was worn in the 60s-early 70s before the actual MX boots migrated from Europe to the U.S,
  2. markk53

Oddometer:

Now that part is worth hating. That stuff is probably ebay gold.
  3. markk53

Oddometer:
    Just goes to show how the Metralla was more of a cheap (yes, they were cheap) pedestrian transportation for the Spanish public. The trick with Metrallas was to put on Pursang and eventually Astro cylinders and such. Then they had some serious horsepower.
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered an engine rebuild kit and control cables from Hugh's Bultaco. Hopefully this enough to get to a point where I can crank it back up and ride a bit this summer.
    Can anyone list the tools I will need (outside of the standards) to tear the engine apart? As far as I know, a clutch holder, bearing puller, something to hold the magneto etc
    Any specialty tools and what not I should make or buy?
    Thanks guys!
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're splitting cases, you'll need to make or buy a case splitter. Also, have you seen Tenorjazz resto thread??? Sorry if this is 205'd, Blaine:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660024 Did you get new jets for the carb?
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been following that thread. Inspiration!
    The carbs are actually new. Somewhere a long the line post 77 he upgraded to a 30mm new Amal that never got used. Still original, just bigger and more beautiful :)
    Soooo Jenna...now that you have all this amazing 2 stroke experience, would you maybe be interested in assisting with the rebuild of the motor after I pull it? The last 2 stroke I rebuilt was my 63 Vespa and I didn't split the cases really :(
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why, you want to do it twice?:rofl Sucks you don't have a garage anymore. If you want to tear into this thing might be worth your while to have it under cover. If I can help I'd love to !
  8. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd pretend like it was running for a minute:

[​IMG]

More in a few, still editing.
  10. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My aperture was way to high for the light I was shooting in so it ruined everything. *sigh
  11. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the seat, tank, airbox, carb, foot pegs, exhaust. The engine is ready to come out but there is a wire feeding through the frame and up into the left case. I need to either run a string and pull that cable out or pop the magneto off to pull the cables on the engine side. Don't have a puller for it just yet, though =\

Ps: I think carbs are works of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    looks like a rattlecan paintjob on the frame. I see some nuts that are covered.

I agree, that's a cool looking carb
  13. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tons of rattle can. The guy that "tried" to clean it up didn't mask anything. There's paint all over the wires, engine cast, bolts, chain. I'm going to have fun cleaning it all off.
  14. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Dumb question, do you pronounce it "Bull-Taco", or something fancy like "Bolt-a-co"?

Like with Cagiva, Acerbis, and a few others, I've never actually heard it said out-loud.
  15. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bull-taco. The creator being Sr. Bultó.
  16. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I beg your pardon, they may have been inexpensive but never cheap! Thank you very much. Actually most Bultaco’s were exported. Very few remained in Spain. Now the Spaniards want them all back! Montesa was the home market bike.

Dave
  17. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. Great story. If the bike was just parked all those years ago....is there really a need to split the cases to get it running??

Good Karma for sure. The PO will be pleased when he sees the finished product..and he'll know that you cared about the bike. Looks like he made the right choice in giving it to you.

Good Luck with the project. :clap
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peace of mind, more knowledge, and I like tearing things apart and rebuilding them :)
    It's a bit dirty on the inside, actually, very dirty. I pulled the left case to find thick sludge/sticks/leaves/a lumberjack and other various things.

Quick question. Were both sides of the bottom end (motor) polished? All the pictures I've seen, show them polished.
    If anyone has a source for the following parts, please hit me up!
    -Tail light assembly and bracket
    -Wiring loom (thought I may make my own)
    -Headlight assembly
    -Headlight mounting ears
    -Stock Clip on bars
    -Controls for light/kill switch
    -Chrome fenders
    -Speedo
    -Maaaybe the chain enclosure

Some of that can be bought through Hugh at a high price...so I'm looking around first.
  19. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing this great story.

what's the deal with the hardware store chain hanging from the brake and shifter? i've seen guys run cables to keep limbs from getting caught between the brake and shifter, but never chains of that length or type.
  20. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's actually the reason. There's a brush guard that those hook to, it's in the parts box currently.