Financial Suicide: A new life behind bars

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stuntheavy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. swifter78261

swifter78261 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, oldxr. I'm going to start combing through that list today when I get to Tahoe. With a little luck, maybe I'll come up with something good.
  2. speedmonkey7

speedmonkey7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if rancho cycle is on that list but I've had good luck with them in the past. They are on the outskirts if Sacramento.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
  3. speedmonkey7

Oddometer:
  4. swifter78261

swifter78261 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! Thanks speedmonkey! I just wrote the guy inquiring about the nature of the damage. I can't really see in his pictures what's hurt on the engine. If its only cosmetic we could have a winner. Also still trying to figure out how interchangeable old/new KLR engines are Andrew much work would be required to make it work right. Someone posted on the last page about it, unfortunately it's a little over my head what it all means.
  5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Rancho may have something and just a couple hours from Tahoe. The place is HUGE! But you've got to really watch them ... and beat them hard on the price.

Does Dudes is dishonest down dere! :lol3 (some really slip shod and DANGEROUS repairs done to bikes that come in as trash and end up LOOKING GOOD ... but really watch yourself. Prices are HIGH!)
    But a KLR motor is either good or not, so not much risk there if its got clean oil in it. Hope something comes your way soon!
    Good luck!
  6. speedmonkey7

Oddometer:
    Oh that's too bad it went that way there. I haven't been there in years, but they treated me well back in the day on parts for my MX bikes. I also searched most of California CL and Nevada for an engine and didn't see anything.

7. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Truth be told ... I've not been in person in years either. You hear occasional "tales" but most of my riding buddies don't bother with them now ... as most can afford to buy new parts and good bikes.

But Rancho do perform a service and for many, it works out OK. But some ... not so much. Things like welded frames and swing arms ... and welded up motor mounts, poorly straightened forks are things NOOB riders may miss ... and sometimes are not fully disclosed. Most of the bikes I've seen at Rancho are "Salvage Title" bikes. But they DO have lots of good parts.
    Hopefully some KLR stuff ... but I doubt it as they are very much sport bike
    focused. ($$$$$$)

My suspicion is they do a brisk business buying up stolen pristine sport bike body work (and other untraceable parts) ... which the police don't track much. New body work on crashed GSXR can hide a lot. :eek1
    This is just my opinion ... and I have NOTHING against Salvage yards ...other than 2 of my own bikes ended up there! :lol3 (I was fully insured)
  8. swifter78261

swifter78261 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well guys,

Its been nearly a month since Chris and I have finished the Trans American Trail. Though we've been beset with mechanical issues infinitum, it /has/ been great spending time in California. It looks like Chris is getting movement on getting his bike repaired with a fresh new crank. Unfortunately for me, after ringing up all the scrap yards in California and spending an unhealthy time cruising the Craigslist/ADV/thumper/KLR classifieds, I haven't been able to find a new engine for my bike at a reasonable price. The last month at a stand-still has also been eating away my travel funds slowly but surely. Unless someone knows of a working KLR engine sitting in a garage somewhere in the greater middle-California area at a decent price, I think this may be the end of this motorcycle adventure for me. It's a sad thing to say, too. This trip was a year in the making and leaving my job for two wheels and a dirt road, getting to know Chris, spending life on the lam for two months - its been a fantastic thing. I've learned a little about motorcycles, a lot about the kindness of strangers, and a good deal about myself along the way.

I've still got travel spirit in me and a small bit of cash to do it with too, but I would hate to sit around waiting for an engine to appear and have one not come up and have watched my travel get whittled away. I'd rather get moving on a mountain climbing trip to Colorado that I have in mind if that's the case before the cash is completely gone I have to find a job.

This trip would have been impossible without support from ADV. Chris and I have been completely blown away by the level of support we've found here. No matter how far from civilization we got on the TAT, we never felt alone. I hope to meet you every single one of you for a cold one one day. Rounds are on me.

I understand Chris's moto-ventures are to continue for a bit, so stay tuned! Wish I could come.

Thanks again ladies, babies, mamas, papas, guys n gals, its been great.

Austin

P.s. but really, if anyone knows of a running KLR engine at a decent price in Cali, LET ME KNOW!
  9. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Im gonna get cabbage tossed at me but Im gonna go ahead and say it.
    I have had a wonderful time just back packing around.
    Catch a cheap flight to central America, wait for your partner, will be a shitload cheaper to hang out, hell maybe you can buy a cheap 250 to finish the journey together, we do not get these chances often in our lives, I have only regretted what I have not done.
    One more thing, if you are dead set on a bike consider a side job, I do not know what central Cali is like for agriculture, but right now in the northwest Ranchers need people badly for irrgation pipe, haying ect.

Good luck whatever the case
    and consider yourself blessed to have done what you have so far.
  10. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck man!
  11. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    Sending good moto-vibes your way. Hope a KLR engine falls off the back the back of a truck near you brotha! :freaky
  12. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about selling your KLR and getting another one?

Have you given up on repairing/upgrading your current engine?

Good luck to you either way.
  13. swifter78261

swifter78261 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good words guys. If this is the end of my motorcycle adventures, that means the whole between-jobs-adventure is only half finished - just the motorcycle part. There's still much cross country travel I plan to do with a little mountain climbing.. Just from the less than adrenaline pumping seat of my truck.

DutchVDub - All of the feedback I've gotten says that a new engine is the easiest and cheapest way to go and that the engine I've got now is likely junk. If its not junk, it would probably need a visit to the shop to be bored.. Which means more time and money. I'm sure a trip to the shop would add another 2 weeks to the wait. I'm willing to spend a little extra cash to get moving earlier. I'm running out of places to stay in California really fast. I've overstayed my initial stay own my friend's couch by 3 weeks at this point.

I'm also willing to sell/part the KLR for something new, as long as the cost was about the same as an engine swap.. That's about the limit of my bike budget right now.
  14. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you were closer I'd make you a hell of a deal on my 950 Adventure just to help you out.
  15. swifter78261

swifter78261 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ALL IS NOT LOST!

Right as I was about to call the trip, an engine turned up in Reno. Craiglist's got a '96 engine in good order for $500! Going to meet the guy in Sacramento Saturday to pick it up. My housing situation dictates I can't get back to San Francisco until Monday, so I think I'm gonna rent a uHaul storage facility for the weekend and uHaul it to SF on Monday. I hate having to pay for a uHaul again, but the end is in sight!
  16. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Freakin awesome! Call it fate my friend, the forces of the universe are strong
  17. speedmonkey7

Oddometer:
    So cool! Wish I still knew some people up there to help you out so you don't have to pay uhaul again!

18. GordyMN

GordyMN b00n-E

Oddometer:
    OH THANK GAWD ! Been traveling/busy a couple weeks and just catching up to the roller coaster that has been the last few pages of this RR. ;)

Best of luck, keep your stick on the ice, remember, we're all in this together. :D
  19. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we avail ourselves to opportunity, the universe always provides. Most excellent timing, sire! :D
  20. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Way to persevere! :clap