Android App - Best Biking Roads

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Rabbitson, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

In a frenzy of excitement, I am happy to announce the introduction of the Android version of the App 'Best Biking Roads'

If you're familiar with the iPhone version of the App and the website www.BestBikingRoads.com you already have an idea what to expect, this is a way for you to search and view great motorcycling roads in your area and across the globe.

The Main Features of the App are as follows:
    • Database of over 5200 route reviews submitted by users (over 13,500 from around 80 different countries)
    • Browse routes near to the device, routes are displayed by their proximity to you.
    • Browse routes from a click on the map to see what is nearby a particular location of interest or somewhere you would like to visit.
    • Search the routes database for a particular route or routes by a text string.
    • Browse routes by country, region, state, province to find nice places to go on your bike.
    • Add your favorite motorcycle routes to the app, users from all types of device and the site combine to make one collective knowledge base of motorcycle routes.
    • Review and rate existing routes, give your opinion on added routes, say what you like and don't like about them. Rate the routes according to 8 different criterion.
    • App is available in 8 different languages:
      English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish and Swedish
    Here are some screenshots of the App:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT : 18th Jan 2011:

New in version 1.2 (Just released)

<LI itxtvisited="1">Info screen now allows for a preference choice between miles and kilometres for all units. <LI itxtvisited="1">Each route now contains a web link to the web version of the route, allowing the following: <LI itxtvisited="1">GPX format files of each route can be downloaded directly <LI itxtvisited="1">Access to over 2300 route photos of motorcycle routes, added by the community. <LI itxtvisited="1">Share your routes with biker friends who have different devices. <LI itxtvisited="1">On Bike Film Footage of the route (where available) Incorrect routes can be deleted

Price of the app is 3.99 USD

Android Market App Name 'Best Biking Roads'

The only dedicated motorcycle app, this app does not re-use car or cycle roads and the db consists only of moderated routes.

Just placed on Android Market, this is quite a new experience for me so please go easy on me!

Hope you like it, the product of more than a few late nights!

David
  2. fattires

fattires Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded, will let you know how it works for me.:clap
  3. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi Fattires,

Hope you like the app, feel free to add a couple of routes in Ohio if you get a minute!

David
  4. riverrider

riverrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks, rab, i signed up, looking forward to putting it to use, thx.
  5. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking an interest guys, the routes database is growing really fast now, all those different way to put the roads on the system seems to appeal to people.

Hope you like the app.

All the best,

David
  6. monkeyfez

monkeyfez Enabler....

Oddometer:
    downloaded. :thumb
  7. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    thanks monkeyfez, hope you like it.
  8. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    What a great idea! It will probably be first Android application that I will pay for. Quick question: is the database mostly European roads or it has good coverage of US twisties?
  9. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Motodisiac,

Thanks for the feedback, hope you will find the app useful, to answer your question of course as I am based in Europe and travel a lot by motorcycle, the coverage over here is pretty extensive. However, that is not to say that the US coverage is not good, it is just a bit more inconsistent (at the moment, but that is changing by the day) as I rely quite heavily on member contributions for some of the areas which I have not visited personally.

For the west coast for example (where you are located I think), here is an overview map of the current routes:

[​IMG]

I hope this answers your question

David
  10. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    David,

Thanks for quick reply. I'm going for it. Just like anything Android based, the database will grow pretty quickly, and I will contribute.

D.
  11. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Motodisiac, any contributions greatly appreciated of course, the content is what gives the value

All the best

David
  12. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to switch from KM to miles for routes in the US?

Also it is possible to add something allows you to separate dirt routes from pavement routes... This is ADV after all and hopefully we can get some decent dirt routes into your database...

Coop
  13. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Hi there Coop,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a little embarassed to admit that I omitted the kms/miles mod in the app. I had it in mind but it must have got overlooked, there was a plan to add that mod in the two versions of the app (iPhone too), that'll have to be for the next update now

Regarding dirt tracks, yes it is possible as there is a road type 'trail' which can be used when adding a route. Where the route does not follow a road at all it is possible on the website to handle these in the true sense (i.e. where tracks do not follow any mapped road) as it is possible to upload a GPX file and have it completely parsed and shown on a map there, allow I have not ported this functionality to the app yet.

David
  14. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Continuing my voyage of discovery, I have a tip for the users who wait for the GPS to come up on the device in order to use 'Routes near me'

To avoid this, you can simply tap 'Routes near location', then scroll to a location near you and select that (this will give the same result)

Please note that this feature is not available in the iPhone App version until Apple approves the new version (should be a week or so)

Hope this is useful.

David
  15. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Before anyone else asks, sadly there is at present no competition for the Android version of this app, but as soon as I figure out something you'll be the first to know.

Thanks for all your interest and support, it's taken me 5 years but I've finally created something good I think!

David
  16. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    A slight amendment to my last post about using the 'near location' feature to avoid having to wait for the gps to come up, I should mention that I have learned that this workaround will not work for all devices, as in some cases the map tiles are not drawn before the positional information is delivered to the device, i.e. you will not see any graphics on the map before it gets a reception.

Thanks to everyone for buying the app, giving feedback and adding data. It's coming along nicely now.

David
  17. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks to all those that have bought and contributed to this app. It seems like the Android community were very happy about this version of the BBR app being made available.

Look out for more cool stuff coming soon!

David
  18. sassage

sassage Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Downloaded... will give feedback when I can
  19. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Sassage,

Thanks for taking a look, I hope you like it.

David
  20. Rabbitson

Oddometer:
    Could any HTC Hero users with this app please PM me.

Thanks

David