New England Tour - need info

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Maud Dib, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Maud Dib

Maud Dib Jedi Warrior

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a group of people on a tour through New England. I need some ideas on how to get from place to place without the interstates and choosing the best motorccyle roads along the way. Some info on good scenery, landmarks, and eats would be nice too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

starting in NJ
    through Bear Mountain to Mystic, CT
    from Mystic to Newport, RI
    from Newport to Boston, MA
    from Boston to Portland, ME
    from Portland to Bar Harbor, ME
    from Bar Harbor to (somewhere in New Hampshire)
    from New Hampshire to Lake George, NY
    from Lake George back to NJ

i have the ny and nj stuff worked out. That's pretty much my backyard. Assuming we have some members in the areas mentioned above, please tell me about your "backyard".

Thanks,
    Rob & Ash
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    In Eastern CT, I recommend Rte. 169 if you can work it in. In NH, route 112 (the Kancamagus) is a must-do.
  3. bmsamson

bmsamson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i rode up from baltimore to my college reunion in NH last june.
    went up to lake george then across vermont -- RT 4 goes all the way and was a nice ride. if you happen to see a left side grip on your way, let me know, mine slipped off and i've been missing it ever since.
    meandered through the whites too me pretty much across NH and back; the kancamangus highway is always a favorite over to conway, also there's the more northern route, can't remember the road #, just look on a map for mount washington, it goes right by and then to franconia notch. nice riding either way. so long as its not laconia bike week (as it happened to be the week i was up there) lots of little towns to stop in, get a meal or whatever. i'm not much of a planner, tend to take things as they come.
    i know that's pretty vague, but a decent map should let you figure it out. i'd help more, but i'm out of the country and not really near any resources to look it up.
    i didn't go over as far as maine, so can't help there. i cut down along the CT river (back and forth on the VT and MA sides, avoiding the slab) then wandered thru northern CT, also out of your route so i'll leave it here.

enjoy your trip. i haven't gone that far east in years, but bar harbour area is an old favorite
  4. Maud Dib

Maud Dib Jedi Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

How about up in the Augusta/Lake Winnipesaukee area? Any members up there with info?
  5. rekibmt

rekibmt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw your post. I am in the process of putting something together for myself at the end of July. See if the attached helps or works. I am also starting out in NJ but need to wind up in Vt for a wedding

Attached Files:

6. Teambarr

Teambarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NH - Rte 3 through the Franconia Notch

VT - Rte 100 in Waitsfield to Rte 17 to Rte 16 to Rte 125 to Rte 100 to Rte 73 (makes a big rectangle)

Rte 108 through Smuggler's Notch in Stowe/Jeffersonville