The Protection Dilemma...Enduro riding..

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jonb, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats everone using for upper body protection when they ride dirt roads, single track and want to protect themselves in the event of a get off or a slamming onto the ground when bitten by the rut snake?
    I am trying to find a set up that is not too bulky and is comfortable. I like to keep light and mobile yet protected.
    I am especially prone to breaking collar bones and i realize this is not really addressed in the gear i see out there. That connection from chest plate to shoulder is usually a velcro strap.
    I would like to be able to remove a bulky back plate too.
    What works the best for you?
    Thanks.
  2. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  3. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    I'm not aware of any armor that protects collar bone from breaking... that's a ridiculously fragile body part.
  4. Rydah

Rydah Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer:
  5. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    collar bones are usually broken by compression via your shoulder / arm rather than a direct impact. it is therefore impossible to protect without immobilizing both arms and shoulders.

thats gonna make riding difficult.

the only thing thats gonna help is elbow and shoulder soft armour to cushion the load under compression and a neck brace to reduce the risk of your helmet breaking it by direct impact
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can remove the back plate on the Fox Racing ProFrame. It's a quality unit if you're just looking for chest protection. I wear it under a padded mesh jacket that already has good back protection when my adventures take me to more serious off road destinations. Add a collar to save your neck and collar bone. The ProFrame.is compatible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I use the freestyle tekvest.

http://tekrider.com/ps_or_05.html

[​IMG]

I normally wear either a mesh or textile jacket over it (depending on the temps). If its super hot, then I skip the jacket and wear elbow pads.

Tekvest provide real protection. They are comfortable to wear, and ventilate surprisingly well.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're prone to breaking collar bones, it probably means that you've just been unlucky or that you don't know how to crash well. As silly as it may sound, there is an art to crashing on a bike... One that I haven't quite figured out myself... But it's something to work on. After a quick Google search, I found this article: http://www.racewayatv.com/atv-articles/2006/01/how-to-safely-handle-fall-from-your.html I'm sure you can find others if you search.

I wear a pressure suit with an Olympia jacket over top. It does very little to nothing to protect my collarbone. However, as others have pointed out, there isn't much of any gear that will protect your collarbone.
  9. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This.

Tekvest (+shoulder pads (optional) with the freestyle, they're built into my snocross vest), paintball elbow pads. Windbreaker over that if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Snowmule....you and I seem to be the only two guys that wear these things. :lol3
  11. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    I also place a high emphasis on light and comfortable, I'm currently using the Leatt 3DF body protector top under either a jersey or Leatt jacket depending on the weather and how long the ride is slab vs dirt etc.

I can't say how much protection it offers compared to other systems, I know I've had a couple of film worthy get offs this season from my short track bike and I was real happy to not be hurt at all.

Another plus of this setup is how well it integrates with the leatt neck brace, I don't know that it will help much with the collarbone injuries but I've found after using it for quite a while now that I feel uncomfortable without it, sort of that same feeling you get when you ride with tennis shoes.

I agree with jonb that there is an art to crashing and while I don't have it perfected I've done plenty of it and keeping those elbows down by your ribs is a good start although I've broken my collarbone on well executed landings just from the energy involved.

Snow mule that is a very cool photo
  12. milzispete

Oddometer:
    I use a tekvest offroad max with shoulder pads, leatt brace and leatt 3df elbow pads. It's a fantastic set up but I don't think it's doing bugger all to prevent collar bone injuries. I'm pretty sure it's about as good as it gets tho. Can't recommend tekvests enough. :)
  13. BUMOT

BUMOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well-trained body, also reduces the risk of injury.
  14. milzispete

Oddometer:
    agreed. if she is also particularly lithe and bendy like a pretzel you are far less likely to be out hurting yourself
  15. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    :nah

I know there's at least half a dozen other riders that do. :lol3
  16. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fox racing chest protector with shoulder armor and Downhill mountain bike elbow pads when doing trail work or in hot weather, when it's easy going and/or cool and/or raining I wear a Klim traverse jacket
  17. Zander

Zander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear a Tekvest Rally Max with Troy Lee Designs elbow pads (EG5550).
  18. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    How is the tekvest in the heat? It can reach the triple digits here.
  19. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Generally you can run it looser to get more airflow through it, or cinch it down to retain some warmth.

Triple digits is gonna be painful though. But I'd rather ride in sub-zero temps than triple-digits.