The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. outdoornate65

outdoornate65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll post some pics of the top end disassembled later tonight.
  4. CRFSoCal

CRFSoCal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I haven't been looking at how many miles I have put on the bike and I am over by 100 for the first servicing. Is that really bad. I received an estimate of $225 for the first servicing including all parts and labor. Is that high?
  5. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I brought my CBR250R in for it's first service (valve check, all other maint. was done by me), oh, about... 4000km overdue.

Dealer didn't care, they're more than happy to take my money.

Better late than never. Oh, btw, no adjustment required.
  6. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:

I paid $300 total, would have rather paid $225.
  7. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe my dealer quoted me about that same price for the valve clearance check and first oil and filter change.
  8. CRFSoCal

CRFSoCal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I will have it done then asap. I have the oil, gasket and filter already. I wonder if that will cut the price a little.
  9. streaks77

streaks77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All right, got it last night, installed... went out on a test ride just now and the butt dyno says "huge improvement!" Before, the front end would never have left the ground... I'm not saying it's effortless now, but it sure didn't take a lot of convincing :wink: I also feel the throttle response is much more instantaneous. And this is without the exhaust (which I'm still considering pending other reviews)... anyone tried with and without the exhaust that could give a comparison?
  10. Bksports88

Bksports88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have stock exhaust but with 13/43 sprocket gearing? Curious to see how well it is on the trails. Saving up for the performance kit right now so in time I will get it.
  11. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:

I've got 13/42 w/the fuel controller (stock exhaust) and its so much better better - haven't been on the trails yet, but it tears up the dirts roads around here

Check out Ramz web site
  12. Lucky62

Lucky62 Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Thanks for mentioning crfsonly, I guess I "missed the memo" on that site. Looks like they have some good bits for this machine. I'm also not familiar with the coyote you mentioned, and didn't see it on the website, although they did show the Giant Loop MoJavi Saddlebag in the 250L section......

I just ordered a skid plate, the windshield brackets, and the Sequoia rack Sunday, but ordered them from TCI products. I'm hoping they will be here in a couple weeks. I have some old windshields off various bikes in the basement and hope to trim one down to fit. (yeah, this should be interesting) If anyone has tips on cutting a windshield I'm all ears.:ear

I liked the Sequoia rack since I already have a pair of waterproof Ortlieb bags I used on my KLR, and it looks like I could tie just about anything to those racks. I've used Happy Trails aluminum bags on other bikes and like the capacity and the protection in a crash (of course I guess that could mess you up too) but when I hit a deer on my Vstrom those bags took most of the damage and saved my plastic. I'm hoping I won't hit another deer and think the soft bags will be good for carrying what I need.
  13. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stock piston. This engine has about 200 miles.

[​IMG]

Anti seize coating on the skirt

[​IMG]

Valve cutaways on the stock piston

[​IMG]

stock iron bore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cylinder head showing combustion chamber and valves. Intake are the large ones. Tiny little sparkplug

[​IMG]

Pickle forks, cam journals

[​IMG]

Shims are on top the valve stem, under the pickle fork. Forks uses large needle bearing as the roller that is pushed by the cam. Cams are single lobe, which lightens the rotating mass in the valve train.

[​IMG]

A look down the intake ports, looking at the valve stems and guides. About average looking ports.

[​IMG]

Oxygen sensor shown in the exhaust port

[​IMG]
  15. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Single lobe cams. The journals are very large, as long as there's good oil pressure, it's very unlikely these will ever score up and fail.

[​IMG]

280cc big bore cylinder ready for installation

[​IMG]

280cc big bore piston in place

[​IMG]

We have the first new 280cc big bore kit installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill Blue is going to be testing the 280 kit for a bit, and is in development of the bigger kit.

(my guess is it will be 300cc or more)

Bill developed and has manufactured the Kawasaki 250 KLX351 kit for several years. His motorcycle experience goes well back to the '60's, he is involved in cycle restorations and our real passion, the smaller enduro bikes like the CRF250L.

He says stay tuned for the testing of the big bore kits.
  16. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed pictures of the motor. Be sure to let us know how that big bore kit pans out. Was the stock cylinder bore just overbored for the extra 30cc?
  17. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    The original iron sleeve is removed on a lathe and the custom sleeve is pressed in.
  19. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting to see how the 250L's cooling system handles the big-bore kits given it only has one radiator compared to the KLX's two. I'm guessing we're going to see higher temps and possibly overheating issues due to the limited coolant capacity and in turn the fluid having 50% less cycle time and surface area to transfer it's accumulated heat. Here's to hoping I'm wrong though as all things are better with a big-bore kit.
  20. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    CRF has a little bit more coolant than a WR250. I'm not certain if the KLX radiators weren't steel instead of aluminum as on the CRF, aluminum being a lot better heat sink than steel. I don't know because I sold my 351 several years ago, but the CRF radiator looks thicker than I remember the KLX.
    That's the fun part of modifications. Some work, some don't. Engine Ice brand coolant always runs 10 degrees cooler.
    I think Bill is installing a temp gauge in-line at the right hand side hard line from pump to cylinder, which should read coolant temp after the radiator. The KLX351 usually read @160F
    If I were to play Devil's advocate about a big bore, I don't think cooling will be the limiting factor. It may be the starter. The KLX 351 need a battery at 100%.