Airhead Center Stand Issues

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by RichHead, Jan 20, 2009.

1. tathambenjamin

tathambenjamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep, despite the name "reynolds ride off", I would never consider actually doing so a good idea. The low height may be a problem, I had not noticed that. I just meant o allude mostly to te fact that it looked a lot sturdier from side to side. I am planning on sticking with the stock stand....
  2. Max Headroom

Max Headroom lost in the '70s

Oddometer:
    Given the option, I wouldn't use a Helicoil to repair a mainstand lug. The load on the thread is a sideways one, and tends to pull the spiral out of the lug after a while (and yes, you can ask me how I know....).

There are more effective solutions available. If WIREWRKR's fix involves a theaded bush with a flange, I'd go that way.

I went a step further when I rebuilt my bike a few years ago. I figured that the design was just too weak, and came up with a solution that works for me. The bush that the CS pivots on is now captive between the original lug and a new lug welded onto the frame, making it a true clevis. The new lug is machined to take a countersunk internal hex bolt so that everything is flush with the frame and won't foul the exhaust or footpegs.

It's a fit'n'forget solution.

Here's a piccie of the new lug and the countersunk bolt:
    [​IMG]

Once assembled, it looks like it should be there, and has about 6-8mm clearance for the exhaust:
    [​IMG]
  3. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Very nice.