Samsung Galaxy S3 mounts?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GravelRider, Nov 5, 2012.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next week I'm due up for an upgrade and I'm getting rid of my iPhone and getting a Samsung Galaxy S3. I've been researching my next phone for the last couple of months and am definitely going with the S3. The one problem is that I haven't found a waterproof bike mount for it yet. I have a pretty slick 100% waterproof motorcycle mount that I can use the touchscreen while in the case for my iPhone. With the popularity of the S3, I figured finding a similar case wouldn't be a problem... But alas, that does not appear to be the case (or maybe, hopefully, my Google-fu is just weak).

Do any inmates here use a mount for their GS3? Or does anyone have a universal mount they use and would recommend?

Thanks.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't have the answer to your specific question but I recently did the same. I wouldn't say I'm blown away like that first day with an iPhone, but man this S3 is amazing. Definitely more of a learning curve, so make sure you give yourself some time. It's not nearly as user friendly, but once you get it... I never see myself going back to iPhone.
  3. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. I've had iPhones for the last 5 years. I was originally blown away by them as well (though coming from a non-color dumb phone, how couldn't I be?)... However, the longer I've had them, the more pissed off and disappointed with it I've become. I actually sold my Apple stock I was so pissed off with Apple in general (and because I thought it was a good time to sell :lol3). The only reason I bought my second iPhone was because of all the apps I had purchased. However, I'm done playing the Apple game now. I don't expect to be as blown away as I was with the iPhone either... But that because it's a much smaller jump going form an iPhone to another smartphone, than from a simple flip phone to a smart phone.

However, nobody can argue the aftermarket support for the iPhone. They've got the S3 beat in that department (for now, at least).
  4. mickwheeler

mickwheeler n00b

Oddometer:
    I use a RAM Mount Aqua Box (with handlebar clamp) and it's been bulletproof, both on and off road. I've pressure washed the bike (and the Aqua Box) with my phone inside with no water incursion. I use the Aqua Box Medium Wide now with my Galaxy S2 and it will easily accommodate the S3 (depending on the case/cover on the phone).

Here's a link (I bought mine on Amazon with the clamp for ~$53.00):

http://www.rammount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Hope this helps.
  5. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a S3 too...
    I'm in the same situation and it seems, for now, the aquabox is the only way to go...
    Does your aquabox include the belt clip? At first sight it seems awesome because you can use it on and off the bike. I couldn' find a belt case niether. So, I would like to be sure if the Aqua box will cover my needs before purchasing...
  6. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    This looks like just what I'm searching for... and at a good price. It's nice to hear a real world testimonial too. Can you use your touchscreen while it's inside the case?

Thanks for posting this!

EDIT: Also, have you used this in the rain (or when washing) with the power cables attached? If so, is it still waterproof?
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a SIII also. Awesome.

I use a RAM universal finger grip mount for it, and my previous phones for years and years. It is great, but not waterproof/dustproof.
    I have an AquaBox. The clear cover make it very difficult to operate the screen. It adds a layer of glare. And maybe one of the worse parts, it traps in heat and the phone will easily overheat in direct sunlight. So the Aquabox only comes out in really bad weather.
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... I can see where that would be a pain. Which finger grip mount are you using?
  9. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally found this thread. I'm in the same boat. Love the S3. I used a car suction mount for a short ride on a rented Goldwing, but was tense the whole time thinking it was going to fall off. There doesn't seem to be the perfect option at this time.

I've heard the aqua-box does overheat the phone...bummer.

I read reviews on the Ram x-grip on Amazon and there were at least 4 motorcycle riders who said the x-grip failed to keep the phone on the bike...not what I'm looking for. Here's the x-grip on Amazon - read the negative reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Universal...TF8&qid=1354076856&sr=8-1&keywords=x-grip+ram

I'm thinking the best option for me is a Otterbox Commuter case (could go with the Defender as it's waterproof, except when plugged in, however I want a smaller case for day to day use thus the Commuter):

http://www.otterbox.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-cases/samsung-galaxy-s3-cases,default,sc.html

And Slipgrip mount with a Ram mount ball. They make them to fit the S3 with all types of different cases:

http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Galaxy-S-III-I9300-L710-T999-I747-I535_c_27331.html

Although reviews on the slipgrip is that the top tab does break over time. So I might add a inner tube band around the mount to be sure. Here's the Amazon listing which includes reviews. Doesn't sound like good customer support:

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Universal...TF8&qid=1354076856&sr=8-1&keywords=x-grip+ram

Still looking for better options and hope someone comes up with it. I'll subscribe to this thread and hope people post reviews of their experiences.

Tim
  10. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Look at lifeproof.com
    It will come to s3 soon.
    Hade it on my iphone works perfect

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    An inmate in another thread recommended this case. That was actually EXACTLY what I was looking for. It's basically the same case I had my iPhone in and I was very happy with that one (my only complaint was that the screen scratches easily). I ordered it as soon as I saw his post. It still hasn't come in yet, but I'll update here once it comes in and I get a chance to use it a bit.

I bought and mounted the Ram Aquabox and absolutely hated it. The medium wide sized box that fits the GS3 is way too big. The screen has three dots right in the center of the screen. These dots are obviously from the manufacturing process. I can't understand why they have them right in the middle of the screen instead of off to the side. The foam padding that is included is not thick enough to hold the phone in place, so additional padding had to be added. The screen is thick and the glare is pretty bad. It's also almost impossible to use the touch screen while in the case. It can be done, but requires a lot of pressure and a lot of tries. Even though the new case I ordered hasn't arrived yet, I dislike the Aqua box so much that I removed it already.
  12. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Been looking for a solution as well, THANKS guys for doing all the homework. $65US, hopefully its worth it.

RIDE ON!
  13. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    This is the one I use. I wouldn't trust it in a downpour, but it's been fine for light rain.

I have had overheating warnings with the S3 when it's been on charge in this case, but that could happen with any sealed case I guess. Touchscreen works fine.

IPX4 Waterproof PRO Motorcycle Bike Handlebar Mount for Samsung Galaxy S3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OVLUL0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

$24.99
  14. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:

LOL I just found that case but only on a UK website. Well, I guess that's the ebay website you found. Here's their actual website:

That looks like the way to go. You can even purchase a usb cord that attached and is still waterproof. Has a lanyard for extra security...everything I want. I don't like the fact that the mount slips on to the case. I may just epoxy that together to prevent accidental launch as I ride off road on my DR350.

Here's their website:

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/m...-tough-waterproof-case-galaxys3-m8___2463.htm
  15. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I just got the mount in the mail today. It's very similar to the one I had for my iPhone, except that it feels like it's much higher quality! I was actually very pleasantly surprised after opening the box and taking a look at it. It feels very solid, and the opening/closing mechanism is MUCH better than on my other case for the iPhone.

I do have two complaints though. First, a standard micro USB charger will NOT fit in the case. More on this in a little bit. Second, you can't press the top right button that turns the phone off, since the lid hinge is in the way. This isn't a huge deal for me, but it would be nice to have.

Now, onto the charger problem. As you can see from this picture, the stock USB cable that comes with the phone doesn't come close to fitting. I had a couple of other micro USB cables lying around that were smaller at the base, and they were all too long as well.

[​IMG]

I took one of my extra cables and decided to cut the plastic from around the micro USB base to see if it would fit. Getting the plastic off without cutting the wires was quite tedious. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have just cut through it all and soldered the wires back in place. It would have been much easier. Anyhow, after getting the plastic base cut off:

[​IMG]

I then used a bit of solder and a lot of heat shrink tubing to get a functional, albeit ugly, micro USB cable that fits inside the case. I had to put extra heat shrink tubing around the portion of the cable that sticks out of the hole of the case. I put the extra tubing on so that it would be a tight fit, and thus [hopefully] waterproof.

[​IMG]

I had a mini USB hardwire kit that I hadn't ever put on the bike (actually, I bought it for the car, but my GPS died before I installed it). A little bit of soldering and heat shrink tubing later and I had the charger hardwired to the bike. Plugged it in, and it worked! No fried GS3!

[​IMG]

I ordered the most inexpensive case I could find on their site. It was the one that came with a cheap handlebar mount instead of a RAM mount. I did this because I figured I could just use the ram mount base from my other iPhone case, since they both attached with a three-prong system. The base from my other case fit, but it was a bit looser than the one that came with it. Not a worry though, as I put a generous amount of silicone caulking between the base mount and the case.

So far, I'm very happy with the case (considering I've owned it all of three hours! :lol3)... But I still haven't tested to see if it's truly waterproof yet.
  17. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slight highjack. What GPS app is that you're running?
  19. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used a RAM finger grip mount for my devices for years. It works great and behind the windshield there isn't much of a rain problem.

I recently purchased one of those cheap arm band holders that joggers would use and attached it to a RAM plate. I'll post a picture when I get home. But it is somewhat water proof. I tried an Aquabox, but it is too bulky and the front cover has too much glare.
  20. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Double hijack - try Sygic, it's incredible.