new r1150gs rider, new experiences

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by MikeCont, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    The MSF BRC would be very helpful.

Keep your head up, grip your tank with your knees, and focus on coming to a smooth stop with your chin up. Scan that stopping point for changes in terrain, surface, etc--does it have ruts? Is the roadway angled sharply? Oil? Gravel? Crosswalk paint? Pick your landing spot as part of your scan, but don't fixate--lots of other stuff going on at the stop, like looking for traffic and downshifting. Bring it to an authoritative, smooth stop. You don't want your front end hunting back and forth.

The thing I had to learn was to not take the stop for granted...just a few degrees of off-camber roadway and the GS was on the ground, since I have a 30" inseam (closer to 29, really).

If you can't get both feet down, get one foot down solidly. As you take off, again keep your chin up, eyes where you want to go.

Also, wear good boots with ankle support and good soles. I wear a Sidi MX-type boot (a lightly armored version of the CBT) and it makes a huge difference in stability at a stop.

It's important to get that posture correct because in a panic stop, the more upright you are as a good habit, the better the chances are that you will not low side and the ABS can do its thing, and the better shot you have at the next move which is the evade move to get away from the dumbo who is about to rear-end you. If you are leaned way over with the forks/wheel cranked to one side, and you goose the throttle to get outta there, you'll probably get bucked off. I recently took a class with the cheif training officer for our highway patrol and he spent about 4 hours with me on brake-and-evade maneuvers used by motor officers. Focusing on keeping my head up and knees gripping the tank did wonders as we ran the course, and that's after 22 years of riding--but that was with a good rider coach. Nothing I could do on my own w/o a pro critiquing me.
  2. MikeCont

MikeCont Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer:
    I have ridden another 4 or 500 miles since I first posted this, and I think a larger part of my problem was not knowing the GS. The head up eyes up part has really helped me. Being authoritative is also important. Stopping and starting still need practice. I wish the first gear on the GS was lower. I feel that I "grind a pound" of the clutch if I start slowly and smoothly. If I make a fast start, I feel I don't need to feather as much. I really don't ride the clutch, but I am more used to "dump the clutch and gas it," which doesn't seem to work well on the GS.
    My opinion at this point is that the GS is the best all-around motorcycle I have ridden to date. I love the power band of the boxer and the brakes are the best. I rode a friend's Honda cruiser the other day and it felt like a brick with wheels. This friend advised me to do controlled panic stops for practice (which I already do), but when he tried to show me, he locked up the rear wheel. ABS on the pavement when straight up, rules! Little does he know....
    No more tip overs yet, although I am not freaked-out by the prospect.
  3. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Sounds good! Snag yourself a slot in a training course, and until then keep up what you're doing. It took me a while to get a smooth launch the way I wanted it outta the GS...the 1st gear seems really tall. After a while though me and the bike bonded and I'm hooked for life. I'm glad you're enjoying yours, too!

It can be a gentle beast for just plodding along, or it can really kick up its heels if you want to play. I don't know if you've gotten there yet, but learning to harness the torque peak and the hp peak is a hoot. You can stick the bike in 3rd or 4th gear in twisties, use engine braking, focus on smooth throttle control, and have your own personal roller coaster just rolling on the throttle and zinging out of the corners. All from a comfy seating position.

Stay safe...
  4. GeeAss

GeeAss Kraut Rocket rider

Oddometer:
    I got my GSA three weeks ago and my handycap was the seat hight. I tried to sit on somebody elses with a Sargent seat but it wasn't my deal either. The original BMW lower seat fixed the problem. I can "flatfoot" the bike now with both feet, all balancing is fixed not to mention the safety aspect stopping at a red light.
    Also make sure your controls are set up in a way where you have everything "in view".
    Adjust your handlebars, shifter and break pedal if needed. It made big difference for me.

Ride Save.
  5. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rake

the hogs are longer and more rake hence stable, where as they dog in the twisty ... it is all mute, practice practice practice
  6. Sad Max

Sad Max Lane Splitter

Oddometer:
    Wow, damn, that's brilliant.
  7. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    I now have over a thousand miles I have ridden on my
    GS. I changed a few things: Lowered pegs (touratech), extended shift lever (also touratech), used system cases, Hepco-Becker engine guards and a Russell seat.
    The Russell seat is a little higher toward the front, than the original seat, and a little lower toward the rear. I sent in my pan, they added extra support and made it according to the pictures I sent. I must admit the Russell seat is great! I have ridden 350 miles on it in the last two days and my butt no longer hurts after riding. I am more used to the bike, so I am having few problems keeping it upright in most situations.

Yesterday I rode 60 miles (one way) to Gaston, Or. to visit a friend. We then rode to his father's hillside home, and turning off the highway, on an uphill, double sloping (up and low on the downhill side) gravel/dirt/mud driveway, I selected the wrong gear, the bike was in a turn, stopped suddenly, and went down. My body basically rolled down the hill. The bike stopped, breaking the front blinker and installing a shovel full of dirt in the right handle bar guard. I picked the bike up (with the help of my friend), and taped the blinker pod back together. The bike wouldn't start until I had it facing downhill (which was strange). When it started, I "got back on my horse" and rode up the driveway. I didn't have a camera...dang! I am learning. The tip over cost me $50 plus a little wear and tear on one system case and the H&B engine guard (RH). The entire thing was my fault and I felt like an idiot. Good thing my friend and his dad are both bike guys. They took it in stride much better than I did. In stride is my goal.
    I love the H&B guards and the Russell Seat. I would recommend them both.
    I forgot the most important event: I take the motorcycle course on March 3!
  8. Reprobate

Reprobate Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer:
    You took the first step toward self-improvement and are about to take the next... :thumb
  9. mphoppe

mphoppe Hops

Oddometer:
    Lot's of good advice above. The only thing I might add to "finishing" the stop with your rear brake is a little bit of countersteer type push on the left bar for the last 12-18 inches of travel as you put your left foot down to stop. This deliberately controls which way the bike will lean once the bike has completely stopped.
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10", just. The Adventure is a long way up there.
    I deploy the side stand whenever I aim to dismount. It is just a lot easier that way.
    When parking, like to get gas or here at work in the morning, I drop the sidestand, then dismount, then put the bike on the center stand, leaving the side stand out.
    I have found that lifting the bike onto the center stand is easier if I pull in the clutch when the bike is still in gear. Then when I leave I put the side stand up, and ride off the center stand. Ocationally I can rock the bike forward off the center stand and ride off that way.
    I've dropped the thing once in a friends driveway. Smooth concrete with a shallow incline. I was attempting to move the bike without the key on, and just rolled it away from my balance. It just laid down on the crashbar and We then lifted it back on it's wheels. Of course I had, had the foresight to fill the tank beforehand.
    Geez! That thing is heavy!

I recently took a refresher course in dirt riding. That helped as soon as I got back on the big Adventure. The bike will never feel as agile as a smaller bike or as nimble as my trackbike, but I am getting more comfortable riding it. I've managed a bit over 11,000 miles in about four and a half months.

I never try to fit in uneven, tight spots. And as has been suggested I look for level ground when stopping. I have a friend who is very short and test rode a friends Adventure when he was approaching a light and needed to stop, he rode over to the curb and put his foot down. Clever, and illustrating thinking ahead.
  11. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    I received a call yesterday and started the Mocycle course last night. Tomorrow I ride the Honda 125's all day (probably in the rain).

My first impression is that the beginner class is remedial for me. I have learned a couple of things and I don't resent the time. Anything that makes me think of safety techniques is good.

What really prepped me was Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch and Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, which I read before I purchased my GS in November. I must say that those two books "teach it all," with the exception of the quirks of the beastly GS.

My course instructor is great and in his defense, he has a tough job teaching the wide range of experience in the class. Twelve students are enrolled and tomorrow there will be 3 instructors. Great Ratio! ...and only a hundred bucks!

I am a little concerned about showing up tomorrow in my Motoport Kevlar riding my GS. I will still wear the gear, but probably will forego the bike so I won't act like I am something I am not.

I need to pass first, but I look forward to the advanced course later. I wonder if, after I am more accomplished, I could help out promoting Mocycle safety?

My son in England bought and sent me a copy of the Long Way Round tv series (it isn't available yet in America). It is helping me to understand my GS better, watching GS neophites (really) deal with riding it. Watching the video, I really don't think another bike could have stood up to so much abuse. I am not biased:D
  12. DaJudge

DaJudge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum! Some things to think about: make absolutely sure that your sidestand is fully extended. The only time my GS has been down is when I pulled up beside someone and I got off in a hurry. Something bumped into my leg and it was my GS slowly going down on the left because the sidestand folded back up (it doesn't lock :(: ). Learn how to leverage your leg power into standing the GS back up, because that is real handy on our bikes! On your clutch issue: our GSs have a dry clutch and your previous experience was probably with wet clutches which react totally different when you release them. As said, practice-practice. Finally, there is somewhere around 40 lbs in your fuel tank and located aprx 3 feet from the ground. If you are a buliding contractor, think of a 1/2 sack of concrete mix falling from that distance and you can see the physics. Above all, the GS is IMHO the best all-around sport-utility-bike for many types of riding; enjoy.
  13. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    In Washington, specifically in the Vancouver area, the program is administered by Vancouver City Parks and Recreation. The training occurs: Thursday classroom 5:45 to 9:45 PM; Saturday on the course riding Honda 125 twins from 7:45 AM to 4:30 PM (on the course until 1 PM and classroom from 1PM to 4 PM; Sunday 7:45 AM to 3:30 PM (on the course). There was a written test on Saturday ( I passed with 98%). There was a test Sunday on the course at about 3PM. I am rather disappointed at the outcome of the practical test: I needed 80% to pass and I got 76%. I failed the basic rider course! What up with that? I think I gleaned all of the details I should have. We were riding 125's and I think I weighed more than the bike. What really angers me was that my failure was based upon the stopping test. The bike was small for me and well used (18 years old). We received demerits for stopping distance. First try, I started the stop just before the cones and the was told to try again (last chance). I went back and made certain I started after the cones. After the cones meant that my distance was longer than allowed and I received demerits. Just after I went through, another student about my size stopped, the front wheel stopped and the bike went over. We were told to be smoothe and I had no strategy to deal with stopping distance on that tiny bike. Stopping distance was never addressed, especially regarding the larger students. I also received a demerit because I stopped after a turn, but that was because I was unsure about the newly laid-out course.
    I gleaned the importance of "head up eyes up" and I learned other things like "SEE (search evaluate, execute)", and others, and appreciated the critiquing of my riding style and execution. I just feel that the outcome rather hammered me, and failing did nothing to help me press forward to be a better rider. I, in fact, felt my style and ability was better than most or all of the other students. I felt the failure really didn't help my quest to be a good rider. I can take the test again in two weeks, but may say the hell with it, because I am uncertain the outcome will be any better, given my size and the bikes ( I did fine in the figure 8's and the veer test).
    I have to admit that I have leg problems (accident customized left leg with titanium bar in place and "abnormal" ankle; arthritic left hip, arthritic right knee) and the small bike gear shifter and brake were more difficult for me to actuate than it was for the 18 year old girl who was in the class. When I was 18 I would have done much better on the course. That's why I bought the GS with linked brakes (handlebar brake lever) and ABS. I thought the course was to help me, not to punish me. Am I just a sore loser and do I suck, or has anyone else had an experience like this? I am somewhat disenchanted with the rider course. Any ideas what I should do? I will go down to the DMV and take the test on my BMW. I am kinda pissed (at myself? at the course?).
  14. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't get mad. The course is more difficult than most imagine. Also, many people learn more from their failures than from successes; failure gives more drive to excel. If the course taught you enough to avoid a few more dumps, that made it worthwhile.
  15. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    I thought nobody failed the course. Failing just bruised my ego a little bit. If I learn the head up eyes up thing alone, the course was worth it.
    Thanks
  16. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Here is a quote from yur first post on this thread

Here is a quote from yur last post

I ain't gonna sugar coat this, I've been ride'n and teach'n ride'n for way to long to do that.

What ya might wanna do is start'n look'n at yur skills and stop make'n excuses like, yur size, the bike, ect.

A person that takes responsibility for his/her actions is the kinda person that makes a good motorcyclist.

I have had 6'-9” 300 + pound X pro basketball players pass the ride'n part of the course on 125cc bikes.

On a positive note; pass'n on the first try is not a sign someone will be a better rider than someone who took more than one try to pass.

Even as an MSF instructor/coach I’m one of the first to admit the course has both its strengths and weaknesses. However; I have a feel’n you did not listen to the coach when they reviewed yur performance after the ride’n exam. You can blow the stop’n eval all to hell and have plenty of points left to pass that test.

If you can’t pass the basic MSF course, well, ya might wanna consider the slight possibility that ya need to work to yur basic ride’n skills if yur gonna survive motorcycling on the street.

Good luck
  17. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    I am not blaming anyone other than myself. Maybe the tone of my post was of excusing myself by blaming others. I didn't mean that.
    My only experiential sin this weekend inconsistency. We did the same things over and over, and I performed better on some occasions than others. The test was not definitive. I think I would have been more accepting of the outcome if the instructors had judged me based upon my over all performance rather than a single run whose kernel objective was undefined. I think, at times, I was confused regarding the objectives of a given test, and in one case I was confused regarding the course layout. It was great to overhear the wife of one of the instructors talk about how she wished our class was like yesterday's but they can't control the quality of the entrants (this being overheard before the testing). It is a bit disconcerting for the instructor to admit that only twice in his classes over the years, have bikes gone down and then for us to have two go down in our class, one with injury. Conditions were wet and twice we had to go to our cars because of hail (the test was stopped at one point). Would you, using good sense go into a max stop after someone had just gone down at the same physical point trying to stop? Is that reasonable, especially when the front tire on my bike probably didn't have enough tread on it to be legal?
    Please tell me how we are to scan and be told to fix our sight on mountains in the distance ( to keep our head up). The scan part was to follow the course.
    I know and practice the 2/4/12 rules, and have operated under SEE, and I know about cornering and stopping.
    Okay, I'll agree that I need to work on my basic riding skills, and always will, but now, how do I do it? I can ride on the street, and have done so without incident. I have my permit for another 180 days, and I think I will go test for the license this week on a bike I have 1500 miles experience on. Is it better to gain experience on the street?
    Those few who passed the test weren't any better than I was, and none were ATGATT (I was. I felt like an idiot wearing my Motoport suit, with a BMW in the garage at home, not passing the test). I am not unathletic, or stupid or lacking in motivation. I invested the time. I studied the materials. I paid the money.
    I don't think the MSF course is a bad idea or fundamentally flawed. I just think our course went awry.
    I didn't mean for this to be a rant and, again, I am not attempting to massage my bruised ego by blaming others.
  18. Reprobate

Reprobate Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer:
    How would you feel if you rode enduro 80/125cc bikes as an Amsterdam motorcycle courier for two years without any scratches or accidents, only to fail the A-license practical exam TWICE? The first time my traffic insight was doubted (because I was too close behind a truck on the on-ramp of the freeway), the second time my riding was not 'resolute'??? :huh

I became so nervous by the arbitrariness of the examinations that I took a small dose of Valerian to sooth my nerves and vowed that I would ignore the car with the examinator following me.
    So at my third exam, I sped off and lost the following car five times - each time I'd hear 'Ehm, Martyn, can you wait for us by the side of the road?'
    Back at the exam station, the examinator shook my hand and said, 'From now on you can ride by yourself' at which I grinned and said, 'Good, because I got a little tired waiting for you guys all the time...'
    Ever the cheeky one...

I can tell you the exams in the Netherlands are brutal - not only are they extremely difficult, but the examinators give you a feeling that the result is arbitrary and not really related to your skills.

I think what hurt you the most was that you figured you were well-prepared and atgatt and that you were humiliated before a class. I suggest that you take the course until you pass - and get More Profiscient Motorcycling and any other book you can lay your hands on, take the ERC after the basic course, see if you can do some dirt riding and ask advice from anyone more experienced than yourself.
    And never ever consider yourself experienced... :D
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Good thread.
  20. MikeCont

Oddometer:
    I just found that only 4 out of 12 riders at last weekend's Vancouver MSF passed, which, according to the instructor, was quite irregular. No more whining from me. I am just glad to be learning and riding.