Turn your KTM950 into AWD in 3,4,5,??? easy steps

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cjracer, Nov 6, 2010.

1. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Both CJ and his bike are "Modern Classics".
  2. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. macleod

macleod New guy

Oddometer:
    Any chance to see this kit in production for a 950/990? It`s been a year and awe full quiet. :D
  4. hotrdd

hotrdd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed – CJ and all of his work is one of the big reasons I went with a KTM 950. And I don’t regret it.
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Sorry it's been so quiet around here about this bike. I've been working on some new projects and new updates to this build. I had a few new parts built early 2015 to increase strength for longer life and just got back from a 4,000 mile test trip around mexico. If anyone's in the Phoenix area, stop out to say hi before we head home. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043142
  6. macleod

macleod New guy

Oddometer:
    So... any chance we will have this in production?
    And if so when and how much? :freaky
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    +1

:lurk
  8. dirtybikefrank

dirtybikefrank Beast wrestler

Oddometer:
    Shoooooot. AWDing my 9fiddy may save me 20G's and adding that 1290SA to the garage...

C'mon Craig get back from Mex and give the people what they want!!
  9. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    20160806_135209.jpg
    Just wanted to give a little update.....
    This bike is still alive and well and scaring many a BMW riders.
    The 950 AWD now has about 145000 miles. So about 75,000 miles on the AWD. Miles have not been racking up so fast over the last few years due to having a few more bikes in the shop.
    And last season I raced it's little brother. A 2015 Christini 450 DS AWD in 3 Rally races. I finished all the races and got 2nd in the DAKAR class. 3rd overall for bikes. Pretty happy with that.

The system has been holding up great on the 950. One of these days I need to do a full inspection, just to give it a check up and I'll add that to this thread.

A few changes around the shop has sparked my interest to try a build a few more..... so we'll have to see how this season treats me.

Long live the KTM 950 AWD.
  10. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    CJDesignsOutlandMoto_0004.jpg
    Just thought I'd add few of my favorite pics.
  11. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Craig. Brilliant machine!!
  12. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Viva la AWD!

Yes, please shoot me an estimated cost for the conversion - save me from the nasty electronic complexity of the 790 with the glorious mechanical complexity of pinions and shafts!
  13. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    how's maintenance and durability/repairs been? 75k on the system sounds outstanding, but there's HAD to be issues.
  14. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey Craig, great to see you updating this thread. 145k on your 950 is very inspiring, especially since I've only 34k now. So you're telling me my bike's just breaking in...!!!

Thanks for the great parts. My CJ full WP kit is on 18k and going strong. I'm touring the Western edge of the North Grand Canyon at this very moment ( at Bar 10 resort as I type with cell service... check out their website).

Keep up the good fight... KTM 950 v BMW!!!
  15. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I've had to update a few items during early testing, but the CV joint in still original, just a new boot. It rubbed on a frame at first, when the travel speeds got up around 90MPH plus, so I redid the frame to clear it instead of slowing down.
    Front hub bearings get an inspection every tire change and lube as need be, about every 4-7,000 miles. Rebuild every 10-20,000 miles depending on use. Not much different than a normal hub used off road. I've gone through a few AWD chains, but no surprise. I've rebuild the slipper clutch hub 2x and I now make my own Hub basket to replace the Aluminum. Just to give it more strength.

I'm hoping this winter to get into a full rebuild and inspection break down on of the bike to prep for another long trip in 2018.
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I see that the early pics are all hidden due to the changes in photo bucket. I'll see if I can find time to rebuild this so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for following along.
  17. chevtech

chevtech Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please do! It was a mean tease to open this thread, only to have no pics for such an awesome idea/build! Kudos man! I love the research, engineering, tooling and drive that made this build possible!

I can only imagine how awesome this would be in the sand, espescially heavily loaded! Damn near impossible to keep that front end tracking where you want it to, once the sand gets fine/light enough!

Cheers!

Todd
  18. hotrdd

hotrdd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still have my KTM 950S sitting in the shop waiting for this kit. Let me know if you need a bike to practice on and then I'll be the first Canadian test rider :-)
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    This bike is still alive and traveling. I found some old pics from my 2019 travels. Thought is was about time to add some updates to this old thread.

Matthew and I on our way to the KTM Rally in Breckenridge, CO. Another trip across the plains. These two 950s have seen a lot of trails and miles together. 20190910_161139.jpg
    albani, 426john and Whodatschrome like this.
  20. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I like to get out and camp at more primitive locations. Riding all day, and hoping to find a suitable spot at the end of the day. Even better when it involves deep sugar sand. The storm that night made sure everything was nice and wet in the morning.
    20190911_205813.jpg 20190912_081018.jpg