Dust to Glory, a mini review

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Witold, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw DUST TO GLORY on Friday night. It was kind of amusing because the theater audience was composed of myself, the girl I was with, and 4 other people.

Anyway, this movie profiles the venerable BAJA 1000 race. I went to see this movie just to see some cool race footage, but the movie is a lot more than that. The stories were awe inspiring, the characters were admirable. I rate DUST TO GLORY close to or better than FASTER. It's that good.

While not all of the footage is motorcycle related, a big chunk of it is. And trust me, the car races are amazing to watch as well. In BAJA, they have what is called an 'UNLIMITED CLASS', where anything goes. These multimillion dollar vehicles actually have choppers flying right above them as route scounts!

Oh yeah... the race route is not closed to the public, so in some sections, you have racers racing right among crowds, and local vehicles. Amazing.

Check Yahoo for local showtimes; you won't regret it.
  2. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review. I missed it Friday, due to work (sucks).

It's coming to the Charles Theater in Baltimore on the 22nd though. :thumb
  3. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    I want to watch it again. It was good! What show time did you go to?
  4. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the 11:10 showing on Friday in Georgetown.

This movie is definately worth catching. I will probably get the dvd as well.
  5. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saw the movie.

AND IT KICKED ASS.
  6. Stumby

Stumby 2 wheels needed

Oddometer:
  7. kixtand

kixtand Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine was in Baja at the race when they filmed this. He has nothing but good to say about the Baja experience and the movie should be excellent.
  8. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went last night in Atlanta with some of the AdvRiders from the area. Great movie, documentary, no professional actors, real racers, real racing, real people, some really scary footage. If you like adventure riding you are going to like this film.
  9. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I agree fully: Went with GreyGhost and a few others last night: It is a great story told (and filmed) by someone with an obvious sense of adventure and a great sense of humor. No over the top hero worship, just gives you a great sense of what the race is really all about. And the middle 'stint' with Johnny Cambell wringing his Honda over the beaches at full-out speed were amazing. I am going to see it again!
  10. GreyGhost

Oddometer:
    Me to. But, I am thinking of buying the DVD instead. I see that Hollywood Video lists it as well as netflixs. Me thinks we could have another Atlanta get together at someones house and have a viewing if we can get a copy.
  11. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    :wave Ghost! Good to see you and Jr. again. :thumb

:wave rc! Great to meet you. :nod

Incredible movie! If only I had a nickel for every time I said, "oh, shit!" in my head, and every time I said, "niiiiiiiiiiiice," out loud. :D

The beach footage of Johnny Cambell chasing Andy (somethiner'nuther . . ?) was incredible. Interviews with Robby Gordon and some Hawaiian named Pflueger (sp?), both supertruck pilots, were great. The Mouse McCoy story topped it all . . . sonofabitch rode a big Honda the entire 1000 miles ALONE, finishing after a . . . oops . . . go see it. :evil
  12. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

"Say when."

:lurk
  13. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :2cry

I ate pizza and watched Golden Girls last night.
  14. rcompton

Oddometer:
    I tried to d/l it last night without success. (shhh......) I will see if I can scrounge up a copy for my collection. I will order it through NEtFlix and see!
  15. rcompton

Oddometer:
    Dija get to your buddies dry? I drove through a shitstorm of lightning and got dumped on about a mile from the house, getting off on Windy Hill.
  16. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Nah, I got soaked too . . . 'least my gear did. I was bone-dry. :D I pulled off and called him, and ended up going by the bar he and another friend own . . . hung out for a while, and headed home after the storm had passed.

The lightning show was pretty cool, though, even while you're getting hammered. :nod
  17. GreyGhost

Oddometer:
    Fudge, I love it!! :evil And just think you could have been out with the Boys, Us. But, you stayed in and watched the GGs.:rofl :D :cry

Hope to see you next time girl friend.

GG
  18. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The saddest part is that Golden Girls is my all-time favorite TV show. :gerg :cry :lol2

But, time and funds (or lack thereof) played a factor this weekend, so I just couldn't swing it. Sounds like a great film, though, so I'll definitely be checking it out on DVD.

I'll catch up with you guys at some point this summer. :wave
  19. GreyGhost

Oddometer:
    We met at the "Highlander"on Monroe street. Pengaleng is trying to molest BlownCJ's 950. I think he was trying to do golden showers with it. From left to right GreyGhost's "Toad" (the 950 is down hard for upgrades, more to come later), BlownCj's 950S, Meathead's Yellow Big Strom (we just changed the tires a month ago and he said the rear is wore out with 7K mi on it), Rcompton's beautiful Yellow GS, and Pengaleng's old faithful Red GS.

[​IMG]

Meathead's Darian is an XXL and it is to large for him. He tried on Greyghost's XL Darian and BlownCJ's Lg Darian light. It was great, it gave him enough info so he canmake the correct purchase. Aren't AdvRider's great!!
    [​IMG]

Rcompton, Pengaleng, and BlownCJ enjoying the view. That cigar is one of those macadodos or some thing. Probably out of the box he received at Xmas from his old man
    [​IMG]

Rcompton, Meathead (with the AdvRider salute, or is he showing us his IQ), BlownCJ, and Pengaleng
    [​IMG]

A great get together. BlownCJ and I had a great light show going North on I-75 and made it home with only a light raining. I hope everyone got home OK
  20. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow...Ken looks so much different when he shaves. Were it not for the faithful orange cap, I'd never have known it was him. :huh