Great Sandy Desert, Part 2

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Humunn, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
  2. oldx

oldx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, have a good trip and take lots of pictures.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:

Will do, thanks!
  4. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This out to be good.:evil:clap
  5. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Oh it will be good...as long as you guys remember to bring my forks over with you!!!

:lol3
  6. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    750 miles in 3 days may not leave anytime to take photos, at least not any still photos. Might have to stick with video along the route. :D
  7. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Well we made it back... the 750 turned into 840-something and my hands are so sore that it is hard to type this. I sure am glad I didn't have to go into work today.

The riding was amazing along with the views. The pace was grueling at ~35mph moving average and a 20mph overall average.

Let the stories begin. :1drink
  8. JDRobin

JDRobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not for the faint of heart, but this was awesome! I'm a newbie, but this seemed to have all the elements of a good ride.
    Riding...ride, scenery, drinks :1drink, cigar, puke :puke1, sleep, ride, scenery, navigate a bizillion blowdowns, a little hike:kat, hot springs, ride, "get jacked", blaze trails, apprehension, manna from heaven, night ride, rabbit slaughter, more manna, drinks, cigar, crash for a couple hours, ride, ride, ride, dehydration, pinch flat, ride, celebrate! I'd do it again tomorrow! :super

Note for next trip...carry more gas and water. Now that I'm an addict...time to get a GPS!
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    LOL! :rofl

Good summary Robin!

Yah I'm pretty sore too, especially my ribs and left hip from that table top I didn't know I was trying to do! :eek1 Hurts to sneeze!

Think I'm still re hydrating too.

We'll be talking about this one for YEARS.

I'll post up pics soon!
  10. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
  11. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking this was about 30 minutes prior to the jacking given the time stamp. Seems so close, just right over that 50ft rock face. Actually from my track log here's exactly where we were. Maybe still a ways from the jacking location.

7/23/2011 4:39:14 PM 5689 ft 0.2 mi 0:00:32 23 mph 37° true N42 28.851 W119 34.819

Great ride. Think I've recovered. Looking forward to another some day.

[​IMG]
  12. JDRobin

JDRobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pinch flat at 780 or so miles. Greg told me back in April to start changing my own tires in the man cave, so this went pretty easy...except for the darn valve stem! And of course, the guys showed me the trail side tire/kickstand trick. I was getting ready to start stacking up some rock! LOL
    [​IMG]
  13. JDRobin

JDRobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to see this tire go from bran new to gone in one trip. This tire came as an extra with the bike and was a few years old but never ran, Bridgestone Motocross M402. A new Desert IT is ready for install though...which also came with the bike. :D

[​IMG]
  14. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :bmwrider
    Your tire is shot because your rear tire has an actual milage more like 1700 miles on it cause it was always spinning.:huh...... At least this is what I observed at the intersections when you took off.
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Thursday night July 23, Don, Dale and eventually Robin roll into Prineville and meet up at the Horseshoe Tavern for our traditional pre ride “planning”. A few beers and a lot of lies later we bunk down at my house to catch some Zs before a bright and early start.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The plan is for an approx 740 mile off road ride over three days on as many new routes as we can find. One of the places I’m excited to see is the petroglyphs on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Hart</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Mountain</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Another is to find a direct route into Fields while avoiding pavement (this mini adventure took on a life of its own, but more on that later). Also hoping to get to the top of the Steens. None of the other three have ever been there.<o:p></o:p>
    Leading up to the trip I told them I want to ride as much new area as we can. They’ve been riding with me long enough to interpret what this means: riding in unknown country means we could have fuel and water issues and we may (likely) ride at night. They call it “getting Munned”. I call it “all part of the adventure”. But they are all solid and reliable riding partners so I knew they would be up for it, whatever “it” might turn out to be!<o:p></o:p>
    Day 1 – Prineville to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place>, 200 miles planned, 230 actual.<o:p></o:p>
    Leaving Prineville we headed west toward Sisters and knocked off the first 60 miles pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> quickly. We stop for fuel and grab a couple $1 breakfast burritos at McDonalds.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Heading west and then south out of Sisters we ride as close to the wilderness boundary as we can. <o:p></o:p>
    In the background is Broken Top.<o:p></o:p>
    We ride a portion of the Cross District Trail, still heading south.<o:p></o:p>
    …until we run into this at about 6,700 feet. It is the end of July and there is still snow! We pondered our options and even rode over a bit of it to see what was ahead but it was too deep still. <o:p></o:p>
    Then, out of nowhere, a shirtless dude on horseback with another horse and dog appear behind us. Startled me. Thought for a minute we’d stumbled into someone’s deliverance camp. We nicknamed him “Geronimo”. Not a native American but old leathery tanned and tatted skin, long white hair in a pony tail out riding amongst swarms of skeeters. And, of course, while we tucked our tails and turned around because the snow he proceeded to continue on through the snow with two horses, no shirt and his dog. I think he was making a statement! As we rode away, you could almost hear each of us quietly uttering personal affirmations to ourselves, “I am not a pussy, I am not a pussy.”<o:p></o:p>
    Doubling back we seek lower elevations. Here we cross over Tumalo Creek.<o:p></o:p>
    Cross over the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Cascade Lakes Highway</st1:address></st1:Street> and pass a bunch of mountain bikers. Bet they love to see us. Then follow a power line south. Pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> dus<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> and whooped out, it was giving my new suspension a test and it was failing. Before the ride I sent my forks to <st1:personName w:st="on">Pro Motion</st1:personName> in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City> to have them re valved and serviced. Wanted more forgiveness in the initial part of the stroke to handle the rocky conditions better. Robin brought them back for me and we installed them the night before the ride. I found that the front end was much more supple but I hadn’t adjusted the shock softer and the bike felt very unbalanced, especially in the whoops where it wanted to buck me off…and did, a couple times.<o:p></o:p>
    From mountain bikers to hikers we roar into <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Benham</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Falls</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Old maps show a through road but NOT anymore. A bunch of families and weekend <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Columbia</st1:place></st1:City> sportswear hikers. The parking lot was full of Subarus if that tells you anything. Got a few “you are evil” looks from the enviro-snobs but a couple of little boys just stood there in awe looking at the motorcycles…made me smile as I knew exactly what was going through their minds…the same thing that goes through mine when I see a motor with two wheels. Priceless!<o:p></o:p>
    We return to our comfort zone and drop into Sunriver a few miles to the south. Fuel and a gas station sandwich and we are off again.<o:p></o:p>
    No real stops the rest of the way to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place>. I don’t really want to hear anything about “night riding” or “getting Munned” on the first day. :D<o:p></o:p>
    We cross over Highway 97, riding south to Highway 31 where we cross over just west of the Big Hole. From there we meander through the northern portion of the <st1:City w:st="on">Fremont</st1:City>, still heading south, until we hit the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Silver Lake Rd</st1:address></st1:Street> where we turn east toward <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    Arriving in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> we stay at Harris Cabin. Called the motel a few weeks back and they were full. The cabin is a nice place to stay. A little cozy for four guys but it worked great.<o:p></o:p>
    R & R. :freaky<o:p></o:p>
    About ¼ mile down the street is the bar.<o:p></o:p>
    Carol’s race car.<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Dean</st1:personName> at the bar. <st1:personName w:st="on">Dean</st1:personName> and Carol are great folks. Because the gas station is open intermittently they had 10 gallons of gas for us ready to go, and premium non-ethanol. Awesome! :clap<o:p></o:p>
    Up next, the loooooong ride day from <st1:placeName w:st="on">Silver</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> to Fields by way of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nevada</st1:place></st1:State>, almost. :eek1<o:p></o:p>
  16. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
    Greg forgot to mention that between Sisters and Sunriver he missed a turn and I was close enough to notice him spinning the bike around in the gravel road so that he could hit the side trail. This is my version of what happened, I'm sure Greg's will differ. The quick spin didn't quite end up how he was hoping but I think he wanted to impress me and not have to back the bike up to align with the road. By this time I am wondering what he is going to do because he is headed for the sagebrush. He decides to power ahead over the clump of sagebrush. I hear the throttle crack and the KTM comes to life sand flying from the back tire as he loops around me (man I wish I would have had a camera rolling), he squares to the trail and I am sure he is thinking that little bush won't affect me and my mighty 450... The throttle rolls on a little more the speed builds as he heads for the bush, at this point he is only about 6' in front of me. The front tire hits the bush and the next thing I see is Greg and the mighty KTM launching into the air. The tail whips out and the entire bike and rider go horizontal in the air. I am thinking, "I didn't know Greg had this trick crap in his repertoire"... about the time I was getting impressed the bike and his body slammed the ground still in the horizontal position. Greg was pinned under the bike but I was laughing my ass off and sat and watched in amazement of what had just happened in front of me. I finally dismount and pull the bike off him and we both look at the sagebrush where there is now pretty good sized log exposed that was hidden before. I am sure he will blame the lack of control on not setting up his suspension.:rofl
  17. BigHo

BigHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey didn't we do 139 miles by like 10am on day 1 and 415 miles by noon on day 2? Yah I think so. Captured this image of total ride miles from another Munn ride report. :evil Harp63 thought you had an image of our total miles on your GPS??:eek1. In fact I think we did 139 miles in the dark after curfew on day 2...
  18. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I did forget to mention that but Dale your version is pretty much the way it happened. I thought twice before throttling through those two small bushes but what are the odds? That log was strategically hidden I think...kind of like the gas can we ran into later in the ride! The bruise on my left hip is gone finally but my ribs are still sore and something is out of alignment in my back. Paul (neighbor/chiropractor) is going to straighten me out (good luck). :lol3
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Yep...the 415 above was the total for three days. We were at the 400 mark after a day and a half this time, around the Hart Mountain hot springs! Our little night ride was only 60 miles but we could make that longer next time if you'd like! :evil
  20. Harp_63

Harp_63 Just Ride

Oddometer:
    I do have a picture of the final GPS data. 34.7 is the moving average (mph) and 20.1 is the overall average. We had 24hrs 16min of moving time. You are suppose to do an oil change on the KTM's @ 15hrs...

[​IMG]