ulysees vs r1150r

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mafia, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Mafia

Mafia n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.hdmedhat.com/preowned_bikes.html buell
    http://www.brokersmarine.com/motorc...W-R1150R-1ade21aa4046381201bdd27ac6d7cf50.htm bmw

So im on the hunt for a new to me bike and have come down to these two options. just wondering what your guys thoughts on these two bikes are. due to there being a foot of snow on the ground, a test ride is not an option. being 6.1 i dont want a bike that makes me look like a dog humping a football. i need a bike tha i can ride a lot around town as well as take me on my long distance fishing trips. comfort is huge, and would be occasionally takin the wife for a short ride. like the pics say the buel has 27000 km and the bimmer has considerbly more. the bimmer also has a regular maintanence done. not sure about the buell. any thoughts on these two bikes would be appreciated.:norton
    oh and the buell is three quarters down the page. the one for 6400
  2. freyke

freyke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having owned an '06 XB12X I can say it's a nice bike and pretty reliable and dead easy to work on. It's more sport-tour oriented than dual sport, that's for sure. It lacks a center-stand and shaft drive. The wheel bearings are somewhat notorious for failing on early versions. You say you're 6'1" so you should fit it just fine. Given the choice between the 1150 and and the XB12X I go with the BUELL. :)
  3. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I assume that you are looking at the 2007 Buell? For my money, the 2010 they have would be a better deal. 2008 and up Buells were improved over earlier models and the 2010 was the best of all.

I have a friend with both an 1150 GSA and a Buell XT. He says the Buell is sportier but the BMW is more solid and reliable. He likes both but says if he had to keep one, it would be the BMW.

If you want to save some money, do a fly and ride. Both bikes are cheaper in the US and both are eligible for import.
  4. Trapper315

Trapper315 Bold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both and have ridden both for long multi days rides across the US both two up and solo. My grandson who rode pillion across the US from NY to California and back on both, says the Buell is more comfortable. As a rider I also have to say the Buell is more comfortable and my legs do not seem to get as cramped up after hours of Interstate riding like they do when I am on the 1150GS. However, I am only 5ft 9in tall and that may be a factor. I agree with the other posts that say the Buell is more sport touring oriented than off highway adventure touring. Up until this past year it was almost impossible to get real dirt oriented tires for it. The 1150GS is a much more all around bike especially if you may be thinking about longer adventure rides. The Buell however, is easier to maintain as you do not have to worry about adjusting the valves on a regular basis like the BMW. The horse power to weight ratio as well as the ability to carry higher weights is better with the Buell XB12X or XB12XT. If I was forced to keep only one however, the Buell would go and I would keep my 1150GS.
  5. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    You'll be able to find spares for the BMW until 2050.

Just sayin'
  6. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    at 6'1" you'd be scrunched up on the 1150R. I have a black 2003 which has been flawless for 10 years now. The ergs may not work for you on a R1150R. My .02 cents. Good luck.

:freaky
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Oddometer:
    I am 6'3" and my GSA is all-day comfortable. You might want to look for a GS/GSA instead of an R.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Several of the bike mags had selected the R1150GS as Sport Touring Bike of the Year several years back citing handling and ergonomics.

As for servicing, the boxer is dead simple and you have spares for the rest of your life.
  9. BlueBlazerIrregular

BlueBlazerIrregular Bike Punk

Oddometer:
    By two different posts, so far. Mine will make three. I have both a Buell Lightning Long, and a BMW Rockster (think sporty r1150r), and 100% if I HAD to choose one bike, BMW.

Three people have now told you what you should already suspect. The BMW is the ride that you'll always use, and will always do you right.

The Buell is fun, fast, and great, IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. Long distance and with a passenger are NOT those times.

What was said about maintenance is correct. BOTH are really reliable, thought the Buell has left me stranded WAY far from home, while the BMW has NEVER come close to that. The BMW has 50,000 amazing miles on it from me, the Buell has 17,000miles and I LOVE to commute to work on it. I'm 5'10 and both bikes fit me well, though the wife is fond of the Buell, she will ONLY pick the BMW for any trip, short or long. It is SO much more comfortable, and all my friends with the GS sing the same tune about their girlfriends, and wives. Though I'm the only one with the Buell as the speed bike. If you test ride them, bring your significant other, or just assume that YOU will never want or ask anyone to be on there with you.
  10. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that Harley tends to treat Buells like a retarded red head step child and won't be too helpful if you need something.
  11. Mr. Canoehead

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. BlueBlazerIrregular

BlueBlazerIrregular Bike Punk

Oddometer:
    EVERY TIME I need something, it's about internet shopping and/or friends to help work on the Buell. The Dealership has over charged and done questionable jobs on the RARE chance they get to touch it. Though MOST jobs can be done yourself, but know that before you buy.
  13. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    There's a big difference in ergos between the Lightning and the Ulysses. My '07 Ulysses was the most comfortable long distance bike I've ridden that was not a full blown tourer. It was more comfortable than my 1100GS or my MG Norge and never gave me any problems.

If I had to choose between the Uly or 1150R, I'd take the Buell every time for both comfort and fun. There's not a thing wrong with boxer motors, but they just don't do it for me like a good v-twin.
  14. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    What is this r1150r of which you speak?

Get the Uly and spend the other 8 grand on gear and a road trip this summer.
  15. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an 07 uly. Fun to ride and very comfortable. However, by 2009 it had already begun to rust in spots, and when the rear wheel bearing failed at 75 mph I almost shit my pants.
  16. Tilter

Tilter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' and the r1150r I'm selling fits me perfectly. I think even if I were an inch taller it would still be great. Maybe different measurements...
  17. Jtourismo

Jtourismo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ::::BIAS ALERT:::: I own a 2007 Buell Ulysses, but have ridden the 1150r and some of the other BMW products mainly 80's K bikes. I will do my best to be objective!

I am 6'1'' and have no problems getting and staying comfortable on the Mule, even after doing long hours in all sorts of conditions. I have not had any issues sourcing parts, and have often found them quite cheap. Maintenance/repairs have all been done by me so far and I am very early into my wrenching career. As far as I can tell there aren't many parts on the Uly that weren't utilized throughout the entire XB range.

Keeping in mind what you are looking to do (fishing trips and some jaunts around town and two up) I think you couldn't go wrong with the Buell. Plenty of room for luggage and the torque is excellent for getting from point to point extra legally! The turning radius can be a bit crude on the 07 and earlier years. I think the bike handles dirt very well for having 90/10 tires, and I have never had to turn back after getting into some rough stuff. If I wear buying again, I would push for an 08 as I think there were some important changes made, including the steering lock.

Good Luck! :D
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    XB12X and R1150R are both fine bikes. But they're very different.
    (I own an '09 XB12X and previously owned an R1150GS).

Either will fit a 6+ footer comfortably. Either should be reasonably reliable as known "issues" are well documented. Belt and wheel bearing issues on the Buell are completely avoidable with a minor mod to the belt tensioner that can be done in about 15 minutes. Don't know of any way to avoid the driveshaft and final drive issues that will eventually befall the BMW. :dunno

Personally, I prefer the Buell.

1. Suspension Quality is altogether in another league. :nod

2. Handling Quality and steering precision is likewise on another level.

3. Motor is more entertaining.

4. Weight is much lower (100lbs lower, which improves handling, braking, throttle response, ride quality etc.)

5. Comfort and ergonomics are as good or finer than the BMW. Passenger accomodations with stock backrest are superior to the BMW. Stock Buell seat works extremely well as is. You'll need a Corbin or Seargent to travel on the BMW.

6. Superior Fuel efficiency. 25-35% better. :thumb

7. Fewer maintenance requirements and lower maintenance costs.

8. Lower Parts costs.

9. Parts availability is a non-issue in this day and age of on-line suppliers.

10. Buell/Hepco-Becker luggage is as good or better than BMW's.

11. 17" Wheels front and rear provide a wider variety of quality tire options.

12. Gravel and loose surfaced roads are handled with aplomb by the finely suspended and well balanced Buell. :nod (works waaaay better than you'd imagine with the street biased tires - chalk it up to excellent suspension action and Buell's clever chassis obsessions).

I could go on, but you get the idea. If you're a rider, I think you'd prefer the Buell.

[​IMG]
  19. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't have personal experience with either, but am a long time Harley rider, and tried really really hard to like the BMW GS enough to add one to my garage.

I like the relaxed nature of Harley V-Twin engines, with their low frequency vibrations (at least when rubber-mounted). I could not learn to live with the buzzy BMW boxer motor. Loved the motorcycle; hated the buzz. Tried 4 different BMWs, new to 10 years old, 0 miles to 50,000 miles. 1200 and 1150. They all had it. If you dislike buzzy motorcycles, the BMW boxer motor may not be your friend.
  20. vwone

vwone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I own a 2002 BMW R1150R (The Gentleman’s bike) and a 2008 XB12XT (The Hooligan bike).

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am 6’1 and #250 and I can ride both bikes around town or long distance but there is a bid difference in between my bikes.

I consider the Buell to be my sport touring/long haul bike and the BMW as my commuter.

I have commuted, camped two up and toured on both bikes and this is how I see them.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The Buell XB12XT,
    Same as an X just a little shorter and comes with luggage. I love that Buell, it is a sport bike, a pack mule, two up camper and grocery getter.
    Why is the Buell not a good commuter?
    Well for me it eats tires, key location is horrible, gas cap isn’t connected, there isn’t a center stand and the heat from the engine can be horrible at times.
    Why does the Buell make a good long haul bike?
    It starts with being comfortable, the upright seating position and the lower peg positions allow me to ride the thing all
    day. Also you can way over pack it and with the luggage that came with the bike, you can haul just about everything
    and the kitchen sink. I also like the touring windshield, heated grips and hand guards. I can ride it all year and just
    about go anywhere except single track stuff. Not to mention all the little things like bungee hook connections and
    multiple 12 volt outlets.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Once you live on a motorcycle little things make a big difference and when I commute I want thing accessible and that
    is where the BMW comes in.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->The R1150R is great for commuting because of little things like the key in the dash and a fuel cap that is connected to
    the bike. I try not to get off of the bike when I re-fuel and I can’t tell you how many times I have dropped the gas cap on
    the Buell. Also my R1150R just doesn’t seem to go through tires where the Buell does. It has a center stand and
    heated grips. Also no heat from the engine, I hardly ever feel any heat coming from it.

Why do I think the BWM is not a good long haul bike?
    Well for me it starts with the seating position, it is a really cramped bike. The pegs are really to high or the seat to
    low. Whatever it is I find it really bugs me when I first ride it after riding the Buell. I eventually get use to it after a while
    but eventually my knees start revolting.

The luggage is small and just not designed well. Next the center stand, it is great to have it but I drag that thing all the time and it is much worse two up camping or just loaded down.

Also I can’t ride the R1150R no where near as fast as the Buell, I have really pushed both bike and the BMW just doesn’t like it. The suspension on the Buell is a thousand times better.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->I am sorry if this reads a little weird, I am at lunch and I just typed out my quick thoughts about both bikes.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->