Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    However, they have yet to step down to the bar in terms of frequency of failures........................:deal
  2. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    May the Gods have mercy if they do.
  3. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Here all had the stepper motor problem all at once while on a short trip to Montana. Bikes only had couple of thousand kms. One bike is at the Dealer waiting for diagnosis. Other 2 waiting results. Poor design on Triumphs part.
    We'll see anything can be done. Otherwise great bikes.
  4. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I'm confused. You know what the problem is but your waiting for a diagnoses?
  5. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    But whats the permanent FIX?
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Clean and lube with each air filter service.

6500 miles for me and no issues on a '12.

Make sure you have the latest ECU map, although the 2013's should be up to date. Early on there was an update that affected the stepper motor.

I would not be waiting for a dealer on this, unless the motor actually failed. There have been a few replaced, but we can't be sure they were actually failing.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    This thread isn't that long and I think in it somewhere is a pictorial of how to lubricate the stepper (can be done without removing and parts) and also some other less permanent fixes such as cycling the power several times etc...

If you do have a stepper problem and applied one of the fixes listed in this thread your results would be useful to everyone.
  8. vanjoosten

vanjoosten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dealer called Triumph and they seem to acknowledge that there is an issue with the stepper. Triumph instructed the dealer to clean and dry lube the stepper motor (same process detailed on advr) and have also authorized a replacement motor. The parts are apparently in low supply due to the prevalence of this issue so It may be a few weeks before the new one arrives. The service advisor also indicated that there may be a future fix for this in the works, but nothing for certain as of yet.

I also placed a call to Triumph Customer Service (888) 283-5288 detailing the problem, and subsequent "dangerous situation" of stalling in traffic. I would encourage all of the Tiger owners out there to have there voices heard so that Triumph will have no choice but to redesign this obvious flaw in an otherwise awesome bike!
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    A shame you have to clean and lube every 1000kms. Seems the air cleaners were plugged too after 1000kms of gravel roads which weren't even that dusty due to rain. My pal mentioned trying something different with the snorkel location and a prefilter. Also wants to try a condem over the Stepper motor.
  10. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I bet money y'all's stepper motor was never lubed. I had my stepper replaced & made sure it was lubed (including the throttle roller). It has worked great for over 10,000 miles. Plenty of dust & sand in those 10,000 miles.

If you put something over it (like a condom) then I will interfere & get hung up.
    Buy a prefilter from Uni filter Australia. They offer ABS & non-ABS pre filters
  11. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:

Mine keeps running out of gas too, I demand a recall. :fpalm
  12. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience exactly. No lube at all from the factory. Dealer disassembled, cleaned and dry lubed. 11000 trouble free miles
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Buy a UNI pre-filter from AUS. Should be enough interested parties for another group buy. Once the pre-filter is installed it can be accessed by just removing the seat. If you have ABS it's tight working it in there but do-able.

The whole air filter stepper motor thing has been well documented by the Aussie's with an easy fix. Fix it once yourself and ride.

BTW you won't have to clean and lube the stepper motor every 1000kms. Do it once properly when you change the air filter and you won't have to worry about it again until you do the air filter again, which once the pre-filter is installed won't be for a long time. Haven't touched mine in over a year now.

If you're gonna ride dirt you have to treat it like a dirt bike and expect to clean filters every day or two if dusty. I sure wouldn't want to be pulling the tank every other day to replace the stock filter and besides I couldn't carry enough filters to last a week, hence the pre-filter.

My stepper motor caused poor idling and stalling at the end of day 2 of this dual sport ride. I knew about it, just didn't have time to get to it before we left. I squirted some WD40 on the stepper motor and didn't have any more issues for the rest of the 4 days ride. Got home and replaced the air filter, installed the pre-filter and cleaned/lubed the stepper motor and haven't had an issue since. :deal

[​IMG]

Yeah it was dusty...
    [​IMG]
  14. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole air filter stepper motor thing has been well documented by the Aussie's with an easy fix

what's the easy fix, I know the wd-40 trick.......link to fix?
  15. vanjoosten

Oddometer:
    I looked into US availability of the pre-filter and received the following:

Thanks for your message on ADV Rider. I am sorry to say we don have a US Distibutor for our products. This filter is available direct via our website. We will have new freight charges from July 1st compared to what we currently offer. You should be able to also buy this filter through Touratech Dealers in the near future.

We will also have a complete serviceable main filter for the Tiger in the next 2-3 months. We have just started tooling up to make them.
  16. bross

Oddometer:
    That's why I suggested getting in on a group buy. Good news about US availability soon.
  17. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I just went to the website and ordered straight form them. The money you spend on the filter saves you way more time in the long run from changing the filter. Also gives me a piece of mind when out on long trips in dusty conditions. I think mine was like $60 shipped. Might have been less.
  18. vanjoosten

Oddometer:
    New Shipping Info:

Freight for one filter to the US/Canada will be $14.00 after July 1.

We can organise group buys. The price of the filter will not change but we offer big freight discounts. The freight from July 1st for all US/Canada orders will be as follows. The freight charges are based off order value in AU$.

$AU 0-65: USA/CAN $14.00
    $AU 66-100: USA/CAN $22.00
    $AU 101-200: USA/CAN $30.00
    $AU 201-300: USA/CAN $40.00
    $AU 301-400: USA/CAN $60.00
    $AU 401-500: USA/CAN $80.00

If any San Diego Tiger owners want to do a group order PM me and I'll set one up.
  19. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Have to come off before the tank can come off. Maybe 9 pieces if you count the top front piece. Then the air box cover, then the bottom half of the airbox. All this to get to the Stepper Motor. Sure hope the cleaning and lubing will work. If it acts up again in 1000kms, I fear my pal will be selling his. Not the easiest design to work with.
  20. bross

Oddometer:
    Clean/lube it once properly and forget about it, just ride. I haven't heard of anyone having problems after lubing it. Buy a pre-filter from UNI Aus and forget about your main air filter until the scheduled interval and just clean/oil the pre-filter as needed.