the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I use my tie-downs and the garage door rails overhead. Hook to the handlebars and the rails, drain oil.:evil
  2. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff!! Oddly enough, my 2001 DRZ400E (I bought it brand new) never had a whisper of a battery problem in the 3 years I owned it. But the bike did live on a Battery Tender when not being ridden, and on days with lots of stops and starts, I would unplug the headlight on the trail. Maybe that helped?

If a more direct return wire of heavier gauge direct to the battery would help the DR650, well that would be a sweet and simple solution.:clap
    I'm not an EE, not even close, so can not theorize on this in regards to application to the DR. Have to leave that one to the more experienced.
  3. FrostedPig

FrostedPig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do the exact same thing. :lol3
  4. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. That's an innie, not an outie. The impact was external.
  5. FrostedPig

Oddometer:
    I've never posted any pics of my bike on here and I had it all cleaned up today and snapped a few. I'm not completely done. I still want to upgrade the suspension and a couple of other goodies, but here's what I have so far. Corbin seat, IMS tank, Renthal Fat Bars with 2" risers, Cycra hand guards, Dirt Bagz with Duffle, Wolfman Enduro tank bag, IMS footpegs, rear master cylinder guard, skid plate, DynoJet kit w/airbox mod, 14t CS sprocket, Ebay rear rack, DRZ 250 taillight....I'm sure I left a couple of things out, but I'm drawing a blank. And before I'm asked it's a 2008 and those are Maxxis 6006 tires. I just got the DirtBagz so I threw them on for the photos. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Looks good. :thumb Looks a lot like mine. :D Are you hauling that to Moab? See ya there. :ricky
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Did you ever check or deal with your NSU screws? Congrats on all the miles! :-)
  8. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Expect better stuff out of Electrosport in the near future. They have a new engineer on board. I spoke to him at length last month during the gigantic Indianapolis 'Dealer Expo' trade show. He's a very smart kid with a thorough grasp of component design. He's mostly been spending his time fixing past product problems but I may have him convinced to get to work on a good high output stator for the DR650. Anybody with a spare stator who's willing to do some testing PM me.
    With the delta configuration max output seems to be around 3000 RPM so actually slow speed trolling in traffic gets battery voltage back up to peak. Below 2700 voltage drops off pretty fast and above 3500 voltage also drops but much more slowly. The peak voltage is down a bit. Seems to max out at around 13.6v. Higher speed running with 100w high beam, 35w grip heaters and 45w electric vest still keeps the battery at 12.9v. If anyone does this mod a good volt meter is highly recommended.
    All I did was disconnect and reconnect the stator coils in the delta configuration.
  9. Pumpkinhead

Pumpkinhead Professional Azzhole

Oddometer:
    Hey FrostedPig, what kind of risers are those? Also did you have any problems with your cables going up 2 in?

Dave
  10. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    This is great news about Electrosport after the bad old Electrolux (and other names) days. They pissed off quite a few riders. Not sure what the KLR guys are doing now.

Sorry, I misunderstood the voltage/rpm breakdown but now I get it. Wow!
    This sounds very intriguing. It should suit my situation perfectly.
    Please keep us updated as to how the Reg/Rec hold up over time/miles.
    Sounds like the additional voltage is well within it's spec.
  11. FrostedPig

Oddometer:
    Yup! 2 weeks from today!:evil
  12. FrostedPig

Oddometer:
    They're from Keintech. No problems with the cables.:deal
  13. Cactusman

Cactusman Adventuring Infidel

Oddometer:
    Great look'n bike! Great minds must think alike, Ive got kinda the same set up on my 08 also with the addition of a Turbo City wind screen. I like your bag set up too. :thumb

14. Cactusman

Cactusman Adventuring Infidel

Oddometer:
    This is an older picture from last summer. I have added a Corbin seat, cycra hand guards, Mefo Explorer's, Wolfman enduro tank bag and Enduro saddle bags, heated hand grips, modified tool holder, North Face bag for the ebay rack. If anyone has a suggestion on posting pictures I would appreciate it. Cant seem to get Photobucket to work right as it only comes up a a link, not a picture, even with the URL. I have updated pics. Thanks

[​IMG]
  15. Nosi

Nosi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did some searching and have given up because I figure someone might be able to answer this quickly. I'm looking for the parts list for the Buell headlight conversion? Thanks ahead for the help!
  16. junkmanjoe

junkmanjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    having trouble sorting out how to put pics up.
    whats the deal just cancles my pics, there jpg files...

my plate is based on a factory B&B skid plate.
    cost was around $400 nz to bring one in, so i made a cardboard tempplate, and made my verson, slighty different, and longer along the bottom of engine, made a better mounting up front. cost me $80nz for alloy and fixtures.
    its paid for its self, with the knocks it taken, better than a hole in the front of ya engine aye.
  17. junkmanjoe

junkmanjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

for sure more than happy to share my adventures.
    we do mild to wild, to just plain silly sometimes, like 2 weekends ago just for fun, we did a loop ride aprox 260km, in thunder storm, pissing down rain, got soaked through, and my boots fill up with water, but gravel was nice and slipery and made for some exelant drifting...

just need to sort out how to put pics up, and will share all with you.

cheers.
  18. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Pit Bull that I can use on all my bikes. Works will on the DR.
  19. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    You have to host your pics elswhere & them link them to your post.

Id be keen on looking at that plate.

Mezo (ex auckland) :evil