MotoGP: Down Under (Spoilers, Mite!)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dani´s actually been very consistent this year. But Jorge has been even better still, first and second every time, when he has not been taken out. Both were taken out once, so I guess that makes them even.

But the new champion took 4 victories, and two 2nd places from the first six races, whereas Dani did not win a race before Sachsenring, after that they kept coming. So yeah, that´s probably what made the difference.
  2. tugboat50

tugboat50 n00b

Oddometer:
    Lorenzo is a good rider, but why does he have to behave like such an asshole? Didn't the spectators go quiet when Lorenzo arrived back and when he went on the podium, but were cheering for Stoner? Hope he noticed.

I just hope Rossi can be competitive on the Yamaha next season and give Lorenzo a real challenge. I used to love it how Rossi used to screw with Gibernau's head! We need more close racing like that.
  3. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    Casey is retiring, I will miss seeing him. A bit grumpy, too the point, but a damn great motorcycle racer.

The shots of him with Adriana and his baby said it all. He was positively glowing when he was with his family. He made his money, fame, he is still in one piece :loll,
    go enjoy life now!

Thanks, Casey!
  4. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he was using the Rossi Laguna Seca 2008 tactic. He had to finish in front of Lorenzo and hopefully have Stoner between him and Lorenzo. Get in front and hold the other two back.

Unfortunately it was a right turn ( Honda Hairpin IIRC?) and they were on the second lap (IIRC?). Philip Island is basically a left hand turn track, so cold right side of tire, left hand track, ( and perhaps trying a little too hard?), ingredients for a low side for sure.

Lorenzo's consistency is amazing and surely something for the record books depending on how he finishes in Valencia. One bike, One rider in first or second place for that many races? Amazing.

Hopefully Dani with continue with this fine form for next year with some truly epic battles for the championship.

He's starting to remind me of Sete Gibernau however.
  5. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    So Pedro cracked under the pressure. The pressure of knowing that this year is the last chance he has for a championship. Next year Lorenzo and Rossi on the Yamahas, and Marquez on his own team to steal points from him. If Stoner didn't retire this year, Pedrosa would be looking for a job.
  6. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that Pedrosa's job is safe and probably safe if he doesn't win a race next year. The Repsol sponsorship is solid with Pedrosa and Puig seems to be in good with HRC.

With the machines moving to 1000cc, it would be nice to see Aprilia, Kawasaki and Suzuki back into the series.
  7. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    I disagree and am with Pecha on Danis' performance, he has made a race of it at every chance and proved his ability by being a title contender, had Casey not been injured it would have been a 3 way fight, not a 2 way.
    Next year will be interesting (please god!), Marquez may well underwhelm, how often have we seen the transition from a lesser class to GP take several years for a newcomer?
    I hope Valentino, Cal (who else is on Tech 3?), Bradl, Bautista and Dani can liven it up, for all of Jorges skill I want close racing, the sort of fire we have seen in Sandro Cortese the last few races.

More fairing bashing!
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Well done Lorenzo.

For whatever reason he doesn't get many props on ADV, but if he finishes 1st or 2nd at Valencia he will do something Rossi and Stoner never have.

I'm really looking forward to #1 and #46 at Yamaha next year; the shoe is well and truly on the other foot.
  9. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Stoner's ankle made him weakest on right turns and this was basically his last best shot at the title. If he was going to be able to get Lorenzo to be third it had to be there and early. He made the calculation and went all in, hero or zero. Can't fault the strategy or commitment.
  10. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    They are already 1000cc :deal
  11. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Never let facts get in the way. :rofl
  12. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cockles of my heart were warmed when the smelly midget showed what he's made of.
    Pedro is a tough little fella, though, he'll bounce back and finish second again next year, most likely.:1drink

Congrats to Lorenzo for finally clinching the title, and uber-congrats to Casey Stoner for that incredible display of mastery.
  13. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, while riding very hard he made a mistake and crashed. It happens. Insufficiently derogatory for forums, but there it is.
  14. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

I would like to have seen Dani try to hang onto Stoner, that would have been a great show.
  15. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    Watching Moto2 and they flipped over to fucking NASCAR before the Moto2 race was over!
    Those redneck fucks couldn't wait 25 minutes?
  16. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Except everyone was a full second off of Stoner's pace. Fantasy is reality... :deal

Dani put up a very credible fight the last several races. The reality is, all Jorge had to do was finish 3rd every race and the WC was his, regardless of what Dani was able to do.

Now that the Championship non-sense is out of the way, we can have a real race at Valencia.
  17. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree it makes me sick! All so they can discuss an ASSCAR race that is already over!! I've had it with Speed.
  18. sprocketjock

sprocketjock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Precisely why I bought a video pass.Fuck the speed channel. Now I can only hope WSBK offers the same thing next season. Well worth the money.
  19. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's time to plunk down for a subscription. Fuck Speed, I will not miss them when they die a miserable death and become FoxSports1.
  20. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: