Hid install .....With pictures......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that there are other threads covering this install...... But none of them covers any before and after pictures....... So I thought I`d post a new thread. I also decided on a little different mounting than most decide to do. I looked at it once.....and......ehhh.... yep..... one.....must.....make......a....carbon fiber....bracket....:lol3:lol3... Really..... Most people elects to put the ballasts on the middle bracket behind the brake line..... I wanted to illustrate a different way to make a composite bracket. Most of the composites I make....is on the outside......, but this stuff ,can be used in many applications. This one took a total of 30 minutes to make. I wanted the ballasts up in the front behind the fairing.......And first had to make a bracket that would serve as a mold for the composite.....
    [​IMG]

Then cover it with aluminum foil so the epoxy won`t stick.......
    [​IMG]

I used 4 layers of 5.7 oz. 2x2 twill carbon fiber......max-clr hp epoxy....... Done and installed the ballasts.........
    [​IMG]

I will route the wires in the morning........and post back tomorrow night....with the after pictures. The HID`s are H7`s from 1off motorsports..... I used m4 ss hardware....and 3 threaded 3/4 inch collars...to create a 6mm space between the ballasts for cooling purposes. I called and asked 1off motorsports....they said that I could mount them on top of each other.....but just to be safe......Until then.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed one of their HIDs as a replacement for the low beam... Awesome bright lite! I see you are installing two... so are you also replacing the high beam with HID, or are you going to totally blow us away and somehow intall them on those new CF handguards?

Inquiring minds.... O)
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi-Hi..... Evil genius at work.....:jjen:pot.....Nahhh.... In the future....there will be a set of high power led blinkers in the guards.....:evil..... The other is for the high beam. Not the norm..... But here in the desert southwest.... when I ride at night..... I do use the high quite often...... Whereas if you live in La....perhaps not. Like in many car applications, where only the low beams are hid`s.....when you flick on the highs.... It`s a very disappointing result. Lots of people states that it does not work for flashing...... But in all practicality.... After the arc has been struck once while riding...... It flicks on very fact.... every bit as fast as it`s halogens counterpart. So I opted for the dual setup. Another thing...... The 1off motorsports setup strikes the arc at a full 55watt, so not to create any issues with the canbus..... When it stabilizes..... It lowers to 35 watt.... The latter I confirmed with a amp meter.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So for starters.... Here are the before pictures....with stock halogens..... Among some of the best stock halogen MC lights....imho......
    Low beams.....
    [​IMG]

High beam......
    [​IMG]

We shall se tomorrow......how many hot spots the hid`s will create......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    In routing the wires....I found it much easier to feed the loom through the 7/8 inch hole I just drilled....If I took apart the feed connector..... You use a small screw driver to push on the little pin inside....then the plug slides out....
    [​IMG]

Then after feeding it....when you put the connector back together....this is the little tap you bend in the prior step....bend it back again....insert the prong in the plug.... Note where plus and minus is....
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks out of the housing.....
    [​IMG]

Then zip tie the wires in the front...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then re-check all is working.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a few shots of espresso.....wait until darkness.....I`l post a few pictures later.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    When you turn the front end, how bad does the brake hose get tied in your wires? I brought my HID connector out the same place, but had to pull the wires to pretty much a right angle at the rubber connector to keep the brake hose from hitting on them.

I plan on adding bar risers at some point, so that will move the brake hose out of the way a little :)
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all..... But I have a 19 inch brake line rather than the standard 17 inch.... Plus my cockpit is raised about one inch,
    So perhaps mine is not the best to compare with.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are the comparison pictures...... Same road..... Same parked car in the front.......
    Halogen low beam....
    [​IMG]

Hid low beam......
    [​IMG]

Halogen High beam......
    [​IMG]

Hid High Beam.......
    [​IMG]

The first thing that gave it away.... was the fact the camera had trouble focusing on the halogen low beam...... When the halogen high beam was added...it was fine..... It focused fine on either Hid beam..... The picture of the halogen is " enhanced " by the camera`s shutter, and is really yellower than it appears. In general this very great stock light is now greater......with very little hot spots. Very pleased.......:thumb:thumb

Erling

Note......The beam drop is not identical..... I goofed and took the first pictures ( stock halogen) with the bike on centerstand....., and HID off the center stand with me standing up straddling the bike..... Sorry I did not catch that It really only has an affect on the low beam...... as the stock halogen high beam is illuminating the house far down the street...... Note as well that you can make out the fence in front of said house with the hid......Not really with the halogen.
  9. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Did I miss? What kit and how much? :ear
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    1offmotorsports.com...... $89 for low beam....$159 for both low/high..... Bought it from San Diego BMW....but you can purchase it directly from 1off.... They have great cust. service....and guarantee their stuff for life..... Nice....
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. SportFaller

SportFaller Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer:
    I may be resurrecting a dead thread....but,

Its been a few months now, have you noticed any damage to the reflector? There has been a fair amount of talk about the HID's melting the reflectors and lenses....

Any comments? I have a set of aline HID's I'm debating on installing.
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have put a few thousand miles on it, and have looked carefully for the plastic discoloration..... Mine still looks like new. They draw less energy than their Halogen counterparts..... Only thing I`m not sure about...is the UV radiation..... That`s what seems to get to any plastics. I`m in the desert southwest....so we have plenty of that as well. I`d do it all over again. The light pattern is awesome.....with very little hot spots.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Now that you have been riding with it for some time, do you have a problem with the way the high beam turns on slowly compared to a halogen?

I been thinking of doing the high beam also, just never got around to it yet.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally no..... But I have never used the high beam to flash people. You se.... here they will just look at you like deer in the head light...... Not having a clue as of why I`m high brighting them.:D.... But In Scandinavia....before I moved over here.... It was a very useful tool. If you want to cheat.... You can drive for a minute or two...with the high beam on.... then turn it off.... The capacitors will remain charged....and your high beam will strike the arch a lot faster. I am contemplating a set of LED aux spots..... But just have`nt done it yet. They would work fine....if the high bright flashing was a necessity. I`d do this mod all over again....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. TowPro

Oddometer:
    I notice with mine when I first start the bike (in the dark garage) the HID flashes like a flash on a camera. I bet when you hit the flash to pass it would do the same thing. Of course someone will tell us it's bad for the bulb, but I bet they still last longer then the stock bulbs do. Plus if you shop around, there like $50.00 a pair with digital ballasts so the don't cost much more then a stock set of stock bulbs. Of course I can't buy a replacement HID in any auto store, but the HID's leave the stock plug on the wire harness, just plug in a stock bulb if your blow one on the road :D
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.... Which is why I carry a spare..... cost me $35.....Have not had to use it though.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You wanna make any extra mounting brackets?? :ear :D
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:D....I could.... If your interested... Two things though....
    Stock shield...will show these boxes right through....whereas my fairing hides`em..... Second.... I`m not sure the top ballast will fit when using the stock cluster mount plate...... My cluster mount plate is raised to bring the speedo up and a little to the right.... But from what I recall.... I don`t thing there would be room on a stock setup...... Time to measure.....Let me see if I can get the dimensions on the ballast.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I have a tinted TT screen. :D I can make things fit, so the second ballast shold be ok.
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott... you have a pm....:thumb:thumb

Erling